Broadband internet reliability on the coasts

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hey guys,

I am curious - how reliable is broadband internet on the coastal areas (eg sosua, cabarete, pop, bavaro, la romana)?

You can always get verizon flash, right? Is it very stable? Do you lose service very often?

In Santiago Verizon flash is rock solid, we have outages less than once every 2-3 months which is better than internet access in most parts of the USA. In the coastal areas is it this stable?

Is there another option for broadband internet in your town? eg in Santiago and Santo Domingo we can get Tricom and Aster, but they only serve those 2 cities.

I'm very curious about this..

Adrian

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why would it be any less stable?
It's usually more about availability than reliability.

From the people I know that have DSL dotted around the country, once it's installed it appears pretty reliable. Then again, we (you/me) are not typical DR DSL users, so our benchmarks are a little different.

T

TiberiusMineola

POP: DSL = VG to EXC.

I've had Verizon - Codetel Internet Flash [DSL] for @ 2 years; 2,000 Pesos per month for the speed I have. Very good value for the money; VG speed, works 95% of the time; runs well on an inverter & batteries [a necessity!!]. Some very decent technicians, a few of whom speak VG Engoish. All in all, I'm well satisfied. I also have a VIP account with Verizon? I'm not so sure if it's worth much. 1,000 P month?? Probalby better off w/o it. I live in a rural area of POP; I'd recommend Verizon DSL to any internet fan in POP.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Cabarete only...

From what I understand, Verizon Flash is not available everywhere in Cabarete - so, usually I tell people to check what is available in their building if they want to move into a condo or something like that. For a house, it depends where you are. In Cabarete, people mostly deal with Ramon, who deals in wireless broadband.

The problem I believe is not so much getting the connection, in, up and running. It is when something fails - maybe a DSL modem or something - then you wait a long time for repair techs to come and repair. As the other posters indicate, I believe that once it is installed, it works fairly consistently with reasonable speeds - I speak for Cabarete only.

We support a large customer in a part of the country where there is nothing. They have broadband (similar to DSL in speed and availability) over a dedicated microwave link (big microwave tower). From experience, this is a very reliable method of connectivity. We've recently had problems in the signal acceleration equipment physically on the tower. Verizon swopped out some components and the connection is back to being very stable, fast and reliable. Cost is high however... But, if I have to change my always reliable, always on, not always fast but always there satellite connection, this is the way I would go, given enough money.