Raise Your Glasses And Say A Small Prayer

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
This weekend see`s the 60th Anniversary of the D-Day Landing in France.

Many Brave men gave their lives this weekend, to rid Europe of the Nazi regime.

So all you American, Canadians, Englishmen, European`s. Give a moments thought as to where you are and why, Raise your glasses, say a small prayer, and thank god for people of all nations who helped rid the world of any evil.

I hope there are no Germans offended by this, as I do not tar them all with the same brush.

My mums German, (bless her)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Great post, and thank you for posting it.

I actually opened it up due to the title; I thought it had to be about the Calgary Flames game tonight!

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
God bless them all...............

brian richards said:
This weekend see`s the 60th Anniversary of the D-Day Landing in France.

Many Brave men gave their lives this weekend, to rid Europe of the Nazi regime.

So all you American, Canadians, Englishmen, European`s. Give a moments thought as to where you are and why, Raise your glasses, say a small prayer, and thank god for people of all nations who helped rid the world of any evil.

I hope there are no Germans offended by this, as I do not tar them all with the same brush.

My mums German, (bless her)

If it was not for D-Day we may all have been speaking German now!
It sure was the beginning of the end for the Nazi's
I will join you in that toast now....

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
To my Father's -

Absent Comrades.

Tonight my heart flies the Missing Man Formation and I'll shed a tear as I hoist a glass.

Gregg

P.S. - Great Post.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I just got back from spending a weekend with my dad. While he wasn't in the first bunch there on the landing he was hand picked to be a replacement for ones that lost their lives at that beach. My dad was in Headquarters Corps which had the job of planning the invasion and was part of the forward echelon.

He was telling me about his first night over he slept in a German Fox hole because it was easier than digging another. The other re-inforcements couldnt land because of bad storms so for 3 days they couldn't advance. He was with these troops till he got to Pilsen which was in Check.

They buddied up in the foxholes and my dads mate happened to have been a lot larger than him and would chase him out of the hole to dig faster than he thought my dad could dig when the shells were going overhead. Too bad the Europeans don't remember that we bailed them out again. Some do but most don't.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Escott Et AL;

It's a sad reminder that the world forgets in light of the present!
But then, many of them didn't live through those times and survive to the present, witnessing all in between and regretting none of it's teachings.

Texas Bill

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Escott said:
I just got back from spending a weekend with my dad. While he wasn't in the first bunch there on the landing he was hand picked to be a replacement for ones that lost their lives at that beach. My dad was in Headquarters Corps which had the job of planning the invasion and was part of the forward echelon.

He was telling me about his first night over he slept in a German Fox hole because it was easier than digging another. The other re-inforcements couldnt land because of bad storms so for 3 days they couldn't advance. He was with these troops till he got to Pilsen which was in Check.

They buddied up in the foxholes and my dads mate happened to have been a lot larger than him and would chase him out of the hole to dig faster than he thought my dad could dig when the shells were going overhead. Too bad the Europeans don't remember that we bailed them out again. Some do but most don't.

Never heard of a storm stalling the Normandy advance, but troops were backed up considerably in trying to take Caen

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Damn Natzis

Im Half German but Im glad Someone took care of that crazy Adolf Hitler, Just like someone took care of Rafael Leonidas Trujillo that other crazy fukk. Now, lets get rid of that stupid Burro de Gurabo, Hipolito Mejia.

Ill Drink to that!!!

Where are the crazy snipers when you need them?

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
KrackedKris said:
Never heard of a storm stalling the Normandy advance, but troops were backed up considerably in trying to take Caen

Yes there was a storm, it was one of the worst recorded in history for that time and that part of the world, it destroyed the Mulberry Harbour. I watched on the telly yesterday. It stalled the landings for 3 days, we also saw the vetrans march past, it will be the Normandy Vetrans last reuinion. Brave men.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
My dad said it was down to 4 million survivors of WWII of which he said they were losing 1000 men a day. I thought that was high even out of 45 million men 4 million from that time means everone of them is over 82.

My dad was in the forward echelon but not the first group over. He was taken in a staff car to the coast to board a ship the day after. He got on the beach but the people behind him didn't for several days.

Scott

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Edited by Robert: Who cares, keep the conspiracy theories to conspiracy theory websites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Welcome

Thank you to all the nations that came to Europe to fight for freedom.

Welcome here in France to Mr President of the United States.

Shame on you that demonstrated against him.

Barnab?

Apr 26, 2002
What do you think Hitler said ...

... when the Dominican Republic declared war on Germany?

And, yes, vamos a brindar to the greatest generation ever.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Watching on TV and reading about the D-Day landing anniversary online brought a lump to my throat.

My grandfather died on-board the only hospital ship to be torpedoed in WWII, this was after he was shot parachuting in.

Brave men, all of them, from both sides.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
You're very fortunate....

Escott said:
My dad said it was down to 4 million survivors of WWII of which he said they were losing 1000 men a day. I thought that was high even out of 45 million men 4 million from that time means everone of them is over 82.

My dad was in the forward echelon but not the first group over. He was taken in a staff car to the coast to board a ship the day after. He got on the beach but the people behind him didn't for several days.

Scott

...those are some pretty long odds that he is still around, and on top of that, to still be so clear headed. A charming man, Mary and I found him to be a very pleasant dinner companion.

Sorry if I got a little off track, I wish my dad was still around to share his WWII stories.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
... when the Dominican Republic declared war on Germany?

And, yes, vamos a brindar to the greatest generation ever.

I have a feeling that Hitler must have said... "damn I like this Trujillo guy, Hes a freeking nut job just like me"