Major League Baseball Spring Training Moving?

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
my prediction is that over the next 10-15 years, major league baseball spring training will move from florida and arizona to the dr and cuba - once the latter is freed-up. like any business, cost comes into play for the owners. certainly the cost of running a spring training facility in the dr or cuba - combined with their development programs there now (ie. atlanta braves in san francisco de macoris) should save the owners alot of money. i would see baseball facilities for spring training built in resort regions such as veradero, puerto plata, punta cana etc. where there are large numbers of north american tourists in february and march. as well, more and more of major league baseball players are from latin america, and fan support just from locals for the games would be significant.

what do you think?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Good idea, but...

I think there are huge possibilities with such an idea, but don't forget one thing; Florida and Arizona will never allow it. But I accept the premise.

I've never seen the Arizona league but the Florida spring training season is a huge operation drawing people from all over and filling the many town coffers with huge money. Monies they surely depend on. They would be the ones putting up a huge fight. In addition, it works quite well in 'Zona and Florida.

In addition, I think you are being a bit too rosy on how well such an operation would work in the DR. Stability there has been more rumor than anything else.

MLB wouldn't be able to handle more than 1 "ma?ana", before it could count any savings it wrangled from lifting up and moving an age old tradition of spring ball to another land.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.