Positive stories about Dominicans

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
These are to be Stories about the good experiences that you have had with the Dominican people.

What you have found that they will do for a stranger, a tourist, visitors from other countries. Their kindness and generosity.

Post your story

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Another one...

Our second visit to the island found us taking a trip for a few days to Luperon. While there we rented a taxi to visit the ruins and excavations at La Isabelle - where Columbus first made land in the New World!
A very old man came out to greet us. He told us everyone called him "hombre mapa".
He was our self-appointed guide to the site as there was no-one else around and he told us the archeological team was on "leave".
He showed us all the diggings and explained the history of what had happened there. He explained the ruins - where the houses were, the graves, the store,etc.
He explained the role the mosquitos had played in the abandonment of the site for "safer" harbours on the south shores of the island.
He also showed us over the cliff where Trujillo's men had bulldozed much of the ruins into the sea.
He also showed us the construction that was taking place to build a cathedral for the Pope's mass to be said for the 500 year anniversary celebrations to take place in 1992. He described what the cathedral was going to look like when it was finished and what celebrations had been planned.
A young girl, with a small child in tow, came out of the small slat shack that he lived in with a National Geographic (in English to our surprise!!) that had an article telling the story of La Isabella and also that of "hombre mapa". :)
The day was hot, the sun strong and so we said our goodbyes and thanked him for his time.
"no, no" says Hombe Mapa!."Thank you, for coming to visit this very important place, and listening to an old mans' stories".
With that the girl, as if on cue, brought out several chairs from the rickety shack and a small table. She proceeded to set the table with several glasses and bottles of coke and water both ice cold!
How they fit in the shack we still don't know but there was also a tarp pulled out from the roof to provide us some shade while we sipped our drinks.

Hombre Mapa refused to accept payment for either his time or the drinks so we bid him goodbye again and thanked him profusely.
"Make sure you stop in the town of Luperon" he says. " See my friend ***** at the colmado and buy some mamajuana! It's good for your health."

One of us managed to slip some pesos to the girl as we piled into the taxi and asked the driver to take us to the town.
We stopped at the colmado and bought some of the best mamajuana I've had. Hombre Mapa's friend was happy to hear his friend was well and we were happy to have met both of them.

Regretfully, we never made it back to La Isabella and I'm sure Hombre Mapa is no longer there............

Last edited by a moderator:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
One thing Dominicans understand,is a broken down car!!

It is a "Commonality" that binds them all together! You break down,no matter where,you WILL have help!!!It has happened to me several times.Flat tire,dead battery,out of gas,people alway come to my aid! Last week at the Supermercado National in Arroyo Hondo,I managed to back up onto the trafic "Island",leaving both rear tires in the air!First came the security guard,then some "bag boys,then more "bag boys",but it was no use.The van was resting on the differencial,and the tires could get no traction! Soon several men got out of thir cars and came to help.Still no use.I tried to get out,but they said to stay in the van.At the end,there were about 20 men and boys,who lifted the van and moved it off the "island"! They all waved me to go.Just another fellow motorist in need of help!:cool: Cris Colon

Then there was the time two girls came to my apartment and I didn't have any money,................................well maybe some other time!!!!!!

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
part of theoriginal thread copied from my temp files:

Theresa
Vettehead from Buckhead

My story, well its a good one. Only positive things to say about my experiences with DR and it's people in general. I think the only time I've ever said anthing negative is when I would forget the "when in Rome rule" I place american standards /morals on other cultures. Worst mistake one can make.

.......................................................................................................

MommC
Broad_Band Momma Rocks!!

I've seen the shoe shine boys buy a "pan de agua" for one peso and share it between three of four when no one has had any customers

03-07-2003 10:54 AM

.......................................................................................................

Jan
Gold

Just 2 days ago I finally had my first shoeshine. The boy that gave it to me I have talked to for a year now. After the shine I was talking to all 5 of the boys and the chicheron guy came by. The shoe shine boys all bought some and they shared with me. I didn't really want any but they insisted and didn't ask me to buy anything. I just thought that was sweet. They even gave me a little piece to take home to Sniffy.

03-08-2003 09:08 AM

Frenchies
Bronze

Hola,
maybe it's not the most interested story about dominican people but the last time we were in Samana, we hired a taxi for a day-trip to Las Terrenas. We had wonderful time. Nearly a week after, we were visited Samana and guess who stopped in the street just to say "hola"? The taxi driver!
Maybe it's doesnt mean a lot for most of you, but in France, even in the smallest town, you'll never see a taxi driver stopping for saying "bonjour" to an ex-customer... Unless you pay for another "ride" of course

Edith & Cora

03-08-2003 01:22 PM
........................................................................................................

Chirimoya
Silver

It took me a while to decide
Anna, I think this is a great idea. It's not as 'sexy' as the sensationalist stuff we are used to on this forum but I am a great believer in reminding myself of how lucky I am to be in the DR. When I first started posting on DR1 I started a thread called 'For all you expats in need of therapy' and that got some good replies in this vein.

It took me 2 or 3 days to get around to posting a reply on this particular thread, because I have several examples of positive stories and was trying to decide which one to concentrate on. Here goes:

When I moved here three and a half years ago I worked for several months on a project near Cotu?. The organisation I was working for had not been able to organise accommodation so I was staying at a colleague's house and looking for a place to stay in the town. While my boyfriend (now husband) and I were looking around the streets we bumped into some people he knew vaguely, and had not seen for years. From that moment they made finding me a place to live their project. They insisted I ate lunch at their house almost every day. Before long I had a perfect little apartment. Some other long lost friends of my boyfriend's who lived in the same street took it upon themselves to help me move in, put up shelves and other bits of DIY. And to top it all they named their new baby daughter after me! I could not have felt more welcome, and these people are now friends whom I will cherish for life. In most parts of the world it is rare to find people who will accept you unconditionally and look out for you in this way. Here it is more or less the norm.

Chiri

......................................................................................................

bob saunders
Silver

back in 1999 while on our honeymoon in Las Galereas(samana) we were walking down a road from the hotel that would take us to a secluded beach. An old lady came running out of a shanty and told us not to go to that beach because there were robbers hanging out there and that several tourists had been hurt and robbed. She then gave us directions to another nearer beach called playita that was safe

........................................................................................................
sjh
aka - shadley

two weeks ago a large group of us went to a rather secluded beach in the early evening. Two police with shotguns showed up and told us this place can get dangerous after dark as it is an occasional yola launch point. They then told us they would watch us and set up camp nearby. They never asked for money or anything else..

Towards the end of the evening, we brought them dinner from our pig roast and some of my relations chatted with them...

How many times have you been lost in the DR and had some fellow on a motorcycle show you the way? How many times have you all been invited in for coffee when walking a country road? Or get unsolicited help while changing a flat tire. Or as a farmer new to the tropics had so many people give help in teaching me about the local plants and how to plant them? How many times have the employees of a restaurant taken care of our children while we eat? The list goes on...

ArJay
Bronze

While on motorcycle finding my way to Playa Rincon, the local kids in the mountain villages pointed out the way to the beach without me having to get off and ask. They knew that that was where I was going.

.........................................................................................................

Meredith
LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD

I don't know if words can describe the kindness that so many Dominicans have shared with myself, as well as with others. It is amazing how individuals in this wonderful country will give their shirt off their own back for you.
Throughout my many stays in the RD, again and again, the hospitality, kindness and good nature of the people have amazed me and touched me in so many ways.
I want to thank them all for this.

When I stay, friends and even strangers invite me into their homes to talk. They offer me a cafe, or te or some jugo. They take time out of their busy day to sit and to talk with me. I learn so much from them. Time and time I come back again and I receive the same hospitality. When I have no place to stay, there home is offered to me. When I have no kitchen to cook with, or no food to eat, I am brought a bowl of rice and beans or someone buys me a pack of crackers, or some bread and cheese. I am never left alone while I am there. There is always a friend there, who is my big brother, who stays with me if I am by myself or takes me to visit their family or friends or out to the discoteca at night. My friends in the RD have become my family and I miss them everyday. Even those with so little money or material goods find the time to share their company with me or to give me some guavas or chinolas off of their tree. While I am there, I am always looked after and protected.

So many Dominicans work for their own people. Fighting for their rights, driving their neighbour to the hospital, cooking a meal not just for their immediate family, but for their neighbours as well. Everyone looks after everyone else, no matter if they are family, friends or strangers. There is a very strong sense of community.

I just wish that I can pay the same individuals back someday by offering my home to them.

.........................................................................................................

hollywood north
Bronze

I too have many good stories...here's a quick one...I was being hounded by some loser at a club (what else is new) and was leaving. Mr. persistant decided to follow.....this motococho GIRL saw all this happening and drove over to pick me up and whisk me away from the loser. Because I was staying in Puerto Chiquita at the time she needed to go home first to change for the ride.

She took me into her home where her tiny son was asleep with her brother so that I would be OK while I waited. The child and her brother were peacefully sleeping under the mosquito neetting....

She drove me all the way from Puerto Plata home and I had to insist on her taking the money for the drive.

gonzaga
Silver

Anna,

I have many wonderful friends in the DR, who will help out in any way if they could. I know one special friend, gentlemen, and that he is, age 27, who works at Flamenco Occidental in Punta Cana, speaks 5 languages, and his name is Miguel. He has a good heart, and words cannot say how wonderful he is to everyone. Great personality. While I was on holidays in the DR during New Year's, and the week of New Year's he was of for three days. When he came back to work I asked what did he do to celebrate the New Year with his family. He told me that he goes back every New Year to his home town which is about an 8 hour drive from Punta Cana somewhere near Monte Cristi and buys for the kids in his home town gifts and candy from the TIP money he receives, to give to them on January 6th. He told me that he had been doing this for a few years now. The kids in his town all love him to death, and I sure it's not only because of the gifts he gives, it's because he is a wonderul, generous,caring and giving person. Being a friend of his and being in his company, I know he is doing this from his heart. He told me that he had to quit school to work and that his dream is to become an engineer. I told him it's never to late, he's smart, intelligent, respectful and one day I'm sure he's going to make it.

Goingthere
Bronze

Keep the good stories coming!
I am married to a Dominican (BTW-I could not have met a more sincere, hardworking man - we've been married for almost 3 years!) and have been to DR about 5 or 6 different times. I just came back from another trip there yesterday. I must say that this was the first time that my heart was so touched! This was also the first time that I did not go there as a "Tourist", which means we did not stay at a fancy, beach-side hotel. It makes a big difference!

I got to meet most of my husbands family, and they were from all parts, both from SD and the country. Without fail, each and every one offered us food, drink, even a spot in their homes for the next visit. In addition I immediately became a "Prima" and had babies handed to me!

We are in the process of buying an apartment over there and many family members and friends have been so helpful in making sure we get the best deals on Iron work, Mesh, Furniture, etc. We met our future neighbor and he was more than friendly, he'll keep an ear out for us while we're gone.

I think what most people fail to realize, is that DR is like a mini version of their own home countries. That means that the negative points are more obvious because it's a smaller country. But in any place on this globe (and I've been to MANY), in the tourist areas you always have to watch out for scammers. In the big cities, there is always a question of whether or not one can trust or depend on the Police. There are neighborhoods in New York were I wouldn't be caught dead because of crime, super-poverty etc. Oh and yeah, corruption exists here too! People forget that their own countries aren't perfect. Just because DR is in the caribbean, people think that life should be perfect, not so!

I have definitely seen both sides of the coin in DR, bad and good, but at least when the side is good, it's so much better, warmer and sincere than anything I've ever experienced!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
And I found these. Thanks Mob

mainer

This is about another poster, though.

My daughter takes an over-the-counter medication that is vital to her well-being. We brought three bottles with us, assuming that we could find the med here, or at least an adequate replacement. After searching for a month, we couldn't find any and we only had a couple of doses left. I asked HB if he could check and see if I could get it in Santiago.

Not only did he check with doctors and every pharmacist in the country (well, almost), he arranged to have some brought in immediately from the states and transported to Sosua. This was certainly time-consuming for him and at great inconvenience to him as he is a very busy man. My daughter gets into serious trouble without this med, and I don't think that even HB knows how much this meant to us.

So....kudos to HB

AZB:
When I came to DR (5yrs ago), i moved to puerto plata. I met nothing but the scam artists, drunks and hookers. The biggest scam artists were foreigners (not dominicans).
My real contact with the real dominicans came when I moved to santiago. They are family oriented people, warm and very hospitable. They brought food to my house the first day i moved in. In fact, i had food come in from 3 different houses. I had enough food for 3 days. A patient of mine gave me a fridge (almost new) and a washer for my clothes. I returned the washer to him with a big thank and kept the fridge. I bought a new modern washer and other house hold items from plaza lama. I needed to finance the money so a dominican whom i didn't even know very well came to my aid. He co-signed the loan. The owner of the building where I have my office rented me his place without deposit or fees and rediuced the rent. He is the one who became my guarantor when it came to sign for me to get my residency papers. That means if i flee the country with out standing debt, he will be held responsible for it. He also signed for my phone lines and cell phone. When I needed to bring in my shipment (my stuff from USA for the house) a dominican lady let me ship it on her name to get everything out of the customs for almost free. She had connections
Mind you, I didn't do a damn thing for all the people listed above. the patient who gave me the fridge was beyond my help as he already had a spinal surgery done and I had already told him that I could not help him.
The favors dominicans have done for me can be written into a whole big fat book.
I can't think of a single foreigner who would do half of what dominicans have done for me.

Jan:
heres a few of my " love Dominicans" stories...
A lawyer I met on the puiter before I came here did my residency without charging me any fees. He said iit was his first one and he wouldn't charge me. He even got me a sponsor who iis a good friend now.
When Sniffy (my dog) got hit with a jeepeta in Bani the people across the street came with water and towels to help me. The vet had Sniffy there for 3 days and told me to pay what ever I could afford. He even gave Sniffy chicken because she was an american dog!
My neighbor and his wife are always watching out for me. Last night there was a few gun shots close and they came to me door to see if I was ok.
When I needed someone to sigh for my phone and didn't know anyone. A guy I was talking to on the puter came to get me the next day and he signed for me. I have never seen him or talked to him since that day.
My Colmado gives me credit.
A neighbor brings me dinner sometimes.
When I was here on vacation so many people took me into their homes and fed me. One woman didn't speak any english and they didn't have much money. She tried to give me an onion to bring back to Usa with me. That gift was so special to me because she didn't have that much to offer. She also gave me a bottle of hotsause.
There are so many stories...these people here are wonderful. Thats why I came here to live. And why I never want to leave.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I promised you Anna, a positive story and this is what meant a lot to me

Well I am reading the others and I feel like mine doesn't really qualify but here goes. I was outside of San Jose de las Matas at the families home and I was alone with the baby while Yesenia was helping her mom at her job, her mother takes care of an elderly couple for a few hours and had the moped. I forgot where the formula was for Howie and I was supposed to feed him and he was crying. A younger cousin, Christian came by, he was 11 I believe and I was distraught, had no phone and about 2 miles from town. I explained to him what was going on, he helped me look for a little while and he said he would go to town and be back shortly. I gave him money and to my surprise that boy was back in about 30 minutes, sweating profusely with a can of formula. Then he laid my money out that was left and said it was all there, making sure I knew. That really touched me, this little boy running all the way to town for someone he didn't really know to buy formula for his little 2nd cousin. Little Howie was very happy and so was I, don't know much about crying babies. Later I bought his siblings and him some Pepsi and some sweets. Every relative I visited of hers, always made me coffee or went to buy a Presidente, and almost all insisited we stay for dinner. Sometimes they were so apologetic for their food, but you know what, what they considered as not very extravagant, I thought was excellent. It was the atmosphere as well, meeting godparents, cousins, etc. They welcomed me in and most tried to give me something to take back to the US. I brought back flan, and some other dishes (don't know the names of) back to the US along with personal items given to me. I didn't realize how close knit Dominican families can be until a few months ago and the love they possess, whether they have little or much, they have an abundance of warmth that is priceless.
dale7(Howard)

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
Positive stories, eh? Red alert: Very long!

I'm a sad git and the biggest pessimist ever, or so my friends
tell me, but I'll try to say something positive, inch Allah. Not sure
if I can give too many detailed stories, they are just mostly
general ones. I've got tons of small ones though, so please
pardon the nonsense.

The ladies in... :)... Boca Chica are always very nice to me. There is a group there that always buy me
stuff 'cos they know I'm a poor student with no money. They
chase away any girl outside that group that comes to ask me
for whatever."Leave him alone! Stop asking him for money!!!"
And there I sit, blushing in shame with x000 pesos
in my pockets while sipping a Presidente bought by their hard-
earned money. They listen patiently to my complaints about
anything Dominican, women, Dominican women and whatever
else I might cough up of unfounded bitterness. They kindly guide me through the hard parts of any bachata duet when my Spanish fails me and are just very nice in general. I've haven't
yet had the heart to break it to them that I simply hate
bachata. :)

In Santo Domingo I was once waiting, in fact waiting for quite
a while.. a warm day it was.., next to Parque Independencia for
the bus to Boca Chica when I was approached by this dirty,
crazy-looking female I often see around there. Being a complete
bastard I ignored her as best as I could, as I often do when I
dump into people I find disgusting. However, she insisted and in
the end I got so pissed off I followed her, showing in no unclear
fashion how awkward I felt ( I'm very well thank you, I don't
need any help thank you, now could you please go and die, you
ugly person ). All she did was escorting me kindly to the place
where those cars do public transport for a fiver, taking me
conveniantly to where I wanted - wishing me a pleasant journey
on the way. She then walked back to what she was doing,
looking for some nice mud or whatever. I still see her when I'm
there and I don't know what to do about it. Even if I wasn't as
mean towards her as I make it out to be, I'm pretty sure I'll be
going to hell for that episode, and that she won't. :)

Partly being 'cos I'm a Norwegian, I'm a fairly ungrateful,
sociophobic, apathic towards other people kind of guy.. generally nice apart from that.. My encounters with Dominicans
tend to higlight that fact, to my shame and embarrassement.
Where I come from you don't visit people unless you have a
good reason. If you do, make sure you apologise and notify your
victim in advance. Also, obey the 3 times rule:1:"Want to enter?"
"No, thanks." 2: "Want to enter?" "No, thanks." 3: "Want to
enter?" "Yes, thank you, I'd love to!" 1:"Want to sit down?"
"No, thanks". 2:"Want to sit down for a min?" "No, thanks".
3: "Want to sit down?" "Yes, thank you, I'll be on my way
shortly though, sorry to bug you". 1: "Want some coffee?" etc
etc.... So... a lot of Dominicans find my behaviour somewhat odd.

When I first came to Boca Chica I somehow ended up in the
school there, mostly assisting a teacher there with her French
and English ( she taught languages having had English for only
three months, French for one.. Incredibly fast learner though,
almost as fast as I was ;) ). Through her I also spent some
time at the school itself. As a result of that, whenever I'm there
now, kids still yell "Profe!!!!!" at me, and wherever I walk there's
always people putting chairs out, asking me to sit down, serving
me all sorts of weird food ( mondongo? ). It's like that all over
the place, people I've long since forgotten come chasing me with
chairs and I don't know how to respond 'cos none of that would
ever, ever happen where I come from. :) A simple walk to a kid
I've tried to keep an eye on ( dumped by two moms so far, and
counting.. I'm next.. ) can last more than the 30 min I planned.. and I do plan.. that's what we do where I come from, I suppose..
can take anything up to 9 hours and 5 meals. I don't know how
to express these things, so it all comes out as mindless waffle,
but there's something there that Dominicans have but I don't.:)

As I result of the time at the school there was also interest from
a certain girl ( 90 % of them, but one in particular ). Y... was her
name and she had a younger sister named R. ( now aged 12 ).
Y stayed in the background, but R.,though very shy, would always come to me during breaks, patiently explaining what things were called in Spanish. She would also manage the 20 or
so groupies ( aged 7 - 10 ) that would gather around us, staring
at me, asking her questions about me. Yes, he does understand
Spanish. No, he doesn't say much. He's Norwegian..it's in
Europe, no, not in Santo Domingo or New York.. He's my sister's
boyfriend. ( Wot??!!! I've got a bird??? Oh really?? Who's your
sister anyway??? Y.??? You're her sister?? Now you tell me..
that'll explain a thing or two... ) When I would tell R. "My Spanish
is great, eh??? Eh?? Eh??" She'd smile, look away and say
nought. Not wanting to lie but also not wanting to hurt me by
telling the truth. I'd only be playing around but that girl is very
clever. Eventually I was, upon R.'s request, invited to the mom,
who doesn't live with the dad ( You see, Albel.. Dominican men
like a lot of women.. ), and who was very sceptical towards
foreigners ( as it was, she mostly disliked Germans, so we would
soon establish some common ground, despite cultural differences and shrinking language barriers ). In the end I've
spent most of my time in that home when I've had the chance
to go over, always fearing they'd one day see me for what I am,
a selfish Norwegian with a high nutritional value, and feed me to
the dogs.

Y. is a good friend "only". She decided that the Norwegian
virtues of shyness and modesty didn't quite fit the image of
Dominican manhood. I suspect she has changed her mind now, as my time in DR has regretably come to a sad and bitter end. :)
( You PN people!! Give me my CD's back!! You hear me??!!"...
Ironicly, of all things, her dad is a coronel in the PN. )

I miss R. though, and I told her that if, for some reason, her mom
would be so short of funds that she'd be forced to sell R. I'd buy
her so she could become my daughter instead. R would, as
always when I talk baloney, say nothing, smile and look away.
Not wanting to lie but also not wanting to hurt me by telling me
I'm a loon. :)

Anyways... long waffle and lots of nonsense, sorry. :)

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I joined the Forums today for the first time and it has raised my spirits already to read all these positive stories about Dominicans. You've helped me remember why I love this country, being caught up in the BanInter situation and having come out of a disastrous relationship with a Dominican, much the worse for wear.

The story I want to share is about someone I employ. My ex pursuaded me that we couldn't go wrong with dairy farming - unfortunately, we did go wrong, big time, because I was taken at almost every turn. To cut a long and sorry story short, when I finally had to sell most of the cows for a fraction of what I paid for them, my worker offered to take a huge drop in wages and carry on working for whatever I could afford to pay him from the meagre takings, trusting that things will improve in the future. Whenever I go over there, they have so little but share whatever they have with me and really look out for me because "I have no family here". I have a Dominican friend who is also trying to teach the children in that area to view foreigners differently, not just as someone to ask for money, but as fellow human beings. Hopefully, we can teach our children to do the same.

Whenever I get dispondent and wonder if I can continue to hack it here, I think of this and other experiences I've had, and similar stories I've heard from other gringos in trouble, and I know exactly why I choose to stay. I guess it's about learning discernment and recognising who's worthy of our trust and who isn't, but that applies anywhere, I just find it a lot harder to get it right here!

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
This story copied from another thread, think it belongs here too!

Copied by Mr. JanH

Emotional Visit to a Local's House
We didn't see the need to write a Trip Report this time because our stay in April was strictly getting our newly purchased villa furnished, etc. After a week of working on the house, we were on our way to a nice restaurant on our last night in DR. The following story is the sole purpose of this thread and all other things we accomplished/enjoyed during that week are reduced to meaningless drivel. This story also reinforces the primary reason we chose the DR ? the culture.

For all of you living in the DR, you will be bored with this story; but this was just our second experience at a local?s house. After seeing general living conditions of many Dominicans, we believe these two experiences have not been with dirt-poor locals ? but maybe lower-middleclass?

On our way to dinner, we noticed the office secretary of our community was standing at the road, waiting for a publico. Not being in any hurry, my husband asked if she wanted us to take her home. She accepted and we assumed she lived around Sosua. After driving to almost Puerta Plata, she finally told us to turn (she speaks a little english).

We drove down this dirt road and came upon a village of maybe 200 dominican-type houses: tiny clapboard houses, some painted. We continued block after block, not seeing any other cars, and watched people coming out of their houses observing us. We were in awe at the site of all of these little houses - one right after another - with many people sitting on miniature porches or walking down the narrow muddy road. We were in the midst of poverty, with the "white man's world" seeming to be 10000 miles behind us. The secretary motioned us to stop. We were at a dead-end street. She pointed to her house. She asked us to come in.

My husband claims I was out the door before she even finished her sentence - I don't remember. I remember this strange emotion overwhelming me, as I stepped up to the tiny porch. Her mother and father were sitting in chairs. She introduced us and asked us to come inside. I stood there dumbfounded, speechless, and on the verge of tears (so was my macho husband). There in this tiny room - no wider than 8 feet and about 20 feet long was a living room, family room, and dining room. The furniture was immaculate; there wasn't a speck of dust on the tables, and the swags hanging on the window (actually a square hole in the wall) were clean and pressed. The concrete floor was painted bright blue. She asked us to sit down. The "living room" consisted of a Victorian love seat, 2 chairs, and coffee table. It was such tight quarters, that all 4 pieces touched each other. We moved the coffee table and sat down. Two feet past this living room was the "family room" which consisted of 4 rocking chairs with brightly colored seat pads. These chairs surrounded a color TV on a bookshelf. Two feet beyond was the dining table with a china cabinet.

She offered us a drink and we, of course, accepted. We watched her go to the china cabinet and get two wine glasses. She disappeared in the kitchen, which, from my seat, looked like a covered porch with no walls. (I was afraid it would be rude if I got up and looked).

While waiting for her, I noticed a ceramic rabbit on the TV shelf. I couldn?t believe it. I had thrown that rabbit out the day before, because I was getting rid of the previous owner?s furnishings. I looked at my husband ? he appeared ?choked up?.

She finally came from the kitchen with a large bottle of Presidente and a bottle of wine. We chose the beer. While we sat there, people came in and out and we were introduced. BTW, four people lived in this house: A father who didn?t work, a mother who was a maid/cook, her teenage sister, and her.

She left again and went into her ?bedroom?, I guess. It was an opening with a curtain. She came out with a floor fan and placed it near us. I?m really fighting the tears now. This whole house could fit in our living room, and she?s worried that we may sweat a little!

I looked around at the wall hangings. There were 4 framed certificates where she had gone to some technical school and had some computer programming courses (DOS and BASIC - yuk). I commented on this and praised her for furthering her education.

After about 30 minutes, we decided it was time to leave. We went to our car and everyone was standing in the doorways, smiling and waving. Do we really have to leave???

We went back to Sosua for dinner. While eating, in mostly silence, my husband spoke up and said, ?This experience tonight is why I don?t give a rat?s ass anymore about my job, my golf cart, or my sports car back home. And I would jump at the chance to eat dinner with that family, rather than sitting in this fancy restaurant, listening to stupid dinner music.?

From that, we left the next morning, even more depressed than ever, and counting the days until we can get back to our beloved DR.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Last year a neighbour asks my wife for a 5000 pesos loan for a surgery she needed.

Well this woman when we are in RD always would invite us for dinner, visit us, that kind of thing.

I was always asking myself "cuando llegara el golpe"?

So when she asked for the loan I told myself "Ya llego"

Last april, she comes and visit us. And PAID my wife!

One of the best surprise I have ever had in the DR.

Barnab?

sassysarah

Aug 10, 2003
While visiting DR I came across some of the most generous people I've ever met. My mother and I became friends with a young man we met in Sosua, and after only a few hours of knowing him, he invited us to meet his family in Jassica. He telephoned his uncle asking him to come and pick us all up. His uncle arrived a few hours later, and when we got to Nelson's home, his family had prepared a huge lunch for us on the river behind their house. They all welcomed us into their homes as if we were long lost friends, and despite the language barrier I immediately felt warm and loved. We were introduced to EVERYONE, and though the majority of them spoke little or no english, and my spanish at the time was very limited they all greeted us with smiles hugs and kisses. One of the older men living there gave us his home to stay in for a few nights asking absolutely nothing in return. I've lost touch with them in the past year, but their kindness and generosity will always remain in my heart

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
OK' a positive story from the DR this thread is what I need it is too easy to develop island fever and getting engrossed in the problems here and forget the problems where we came from, six years ago when I came here on holiday for the first time I decided I would like to try the cane from the street sellers walking around puerto plata I found a guy eventually in a narrow street he was twice my size carrying a machete and looked like he enjoyed fighting with broken teeth I asked how much the cane would be he wasnot inclining to tell me how much so i expected to get a ripoff having come from Spain but decided to go for it anyway after trying the cane and I asked how much agane he said it's a gift,come on holiday here again he coud of asked me for anything it was his gift and others like him witch made me decided to sell my home in Spain and moved here and I am happy I did.

platanomami23

Nov 25, 2003
me encanta este pais!

I've traveled to the Dominican Republic twice and will soon be visiting again. I have never met nicer, more welcoming people anywhere. Dominicans are also the most genuine people I have ever dealt with.

My first contact with Dominicans occurred in Louisiana when I was a freshman in college. I became friends with some Dominicans who were also studying there. I immediately felt comfortable just hanging out with them, even though all the hugging and greeting took a little bit to get used to. Their generosity was also so amazing because it was so different from the usual American situation. Like another person mentioned earlier, I was used to automatically saying no if someone asked "Would you like something to drink?" or if they mentioned that you should come visit, because here in the US we say it just to be polite and don't necessarily mean it. However, Dominican moms won't take no for an answer, and one mom offered repeatedly for me to stay with them when I visited the DR and it took a while for me to realize she really meant it.

I first went to the DR two years ago for Christmas and New Year's with my friends. They're from La Romana, but we took many day trips to Bayahibe, Higuey, Dominicus, Boca de Yuma, San Pedro, and Santo Domingo, etc. Everyone was really friendly and helpful, especially considering my limited spanish at that time. I still regularly talk on the phone and email with my friends' parents and one dad even calls me his "hija rubia". Their family truly is a second family for me, as are the families of some of my other friends.

I also went this past October for the Festival Presidente with my sister. We stayed in a small hotel in Santo Domingo because it was for such a short time. This time was different because I didn't have the "safety net" of having my friends show me around. I had to translate everything for my sister who doesn't speak spanish, show her around, and make sure everything worked out. My spanish is much better now, but it was a really good experience having to rely on it so much. The people at the hotel, at the colmada, at the concert, and expecially our taxi drivers were amazingly helpful and friendly. We met a really nice taxi driver who helped us the whole weekend, even negotiating ticket prices with the scalpers outside of the concert and waiting outside the concert for us. One day he even took us to Boca Chica and waited for us, and the price for the whole weekend was way more reasonable than renting a car or trying to drive in that traffic would've been. We also met some nice Dominicans to go out to clubs on the Malecon with.

It was funny at the concert the first night b/c we didn't know that cameras weren't allowed and the hotel was too far away with the traffic to go back and forth. My sister went inside while I waited outside trying to figure out what to do. The security guards and the people working for Presidente repeatedly tried to help her, even with the language barrier, they didn't give up. Finally, they helped us get in even with the cameras, (but we promised them we wouldn't take pictures). We bought some of the guys beer b/c we appreciated the help so much.

Anyways, I love this country so much! I realize there are a lot of problems too, just like anywhere, but it is such an amazing, diverse, friendly country. I've written many of my essays for school about the DR and plan to write my thesis on Dominican immigrants also. I'll be there again for this New Year's party and I plan to return many more times. A friend gave me my nickname "platano mami" because I'm so involved and interested in the DR and sinceramente soy una gringa con un corazon dominicano :)

brian richards

Jan 2, 2004
good and bad in all

Well while we were Holidaying in the DR, we became friendly with quite a few of the resort workers. One was a sweeper who had holes in his trousers and shoes falling off his feet. So I gave him a pair of my chinos trousers and my leather sandels, only wore them both once, the night before. Then I realised that I forgot to check the pockets, and I had left 1700 pesos in the back pocket. When I spoke to him again I told him what I had done, I expected him to say there wasnt anything in the pockets. He didnt he told me to wait there he would go and get it for me and he would give it back, we told him to keep it.

Then there is this other resort worker, good looking guy, not going to say who he is. But we became friendly with him. He told us how he was saving hard to come to the UK to get married, my good lady gave him a ?20 note telling him to spend it on arrival to the uk on getting something to eat. We was told that he probably tells everybody that story to get money. Well we have just heard he is in the UK, Getting married. So all though you have to have your wits about you its not all of them telling you a yarn to get your money. We are going to try and find him in the UK just to make sure he is ok.

But I tell you what did upset us is the way most of the tourists treated the resort workers, no please, no thank you, we want, with a we have paid for you to wait on us attitude. How about some respect for the people who go out of their way to ensure you have a supurb vacation. Mind you it wasnt all tourists.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Not too long after I got to the DR I bought a car. One of the first trips I took I got a flat tire. I didn't have a jack or a spare tire. Seemingly out of no where dominicans started to show up to give me a hand. I explained to them that I didn't have a jack or spare. One of them got on a moto concho and soon returned with a jack. Then he road off on the moto again, this time with my tire. When he returned my tire was repaired. The patch cost me 25 or 50 pesos, I don't remember exactly. No one would accept a tip. They were genuinely happy to help me out.

That is the true spirit of the dominican people.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
gringo in dr said:
Not too long after I got to the DR I bought a car. One of the first trips I took I got a flat tire. I didn't have a jack or a spare tire. Seemingly out of no where dominicans started to show up to give me a hand. I explained to them that I didn't have a jack or spare. One of them got on a moto concho and soon returned with a jack. Then he road off on the moto again, this time with my tire. When he returned my tire was repaired. The patch cost me 25 or 50 pesos, I don't remember exactly. No one would accept a tip. They were genuinely happy to help me out.

That is the true spirit of the dominican people.

I have a somewhat similar experience to write about.

One day in January 2003 I was returning from Santo Domingo to Esperanza on the Autopista Duarte. My wife and my then 9 months old daughter were travelling with me. My spare tire had already gone flat on the way down, and it was beyond repair. Those were very slim racing sort of tires, not at all suited for Dominican roads. The car had recently been imported from Queens, New York. Being unfamiliar with things in Sto.Dgo. I chose to take a chance that the return trip would go smoothly without any further flats or incidents. It was not to be. Somewhere south of Piedra Blanca I had another flat. So I parked the CR-V on the road shoulder and got out the jack. No sooner was I starting to place the jack under the car than out of the blue appeared a young man offering his help. He lived on a hill right in the median, and had been sitting watching me as I parked the vehicle. He took over the job at hand, and when I told him I had no useable spare he got the whole wheel on his shoulder, flagged down the first and best guagua and told me to follow him. So we rode into Piedra Blanca and walked up to one of the gomero (tire repair) shops. It soon turned out that this tire also was beyond repair. So the gomero had to order new (well, used) tires from Bonao, which took quite a while. All the while this young man (twentyish) was waiting patiently with me, watching the traffic fly by. When the replacements finally arrived (one useable out of two) it was soon put on the rim and back we went, in some other kid's car. All the while my wife had been sitting in the car anxiously awaiting my return, with doors locked. Luckily no attackers (or anyone else) had approached her while she was sitting alone and defenseless in the car. She did have the cellular though, so I had been able to call her and warn her that things would be taking a while.

Unfortunately, after having been overcharged by the gomero (or the tire was unusually expensive) I did not have much cash left for the young man who had helped me out of this critical situation. But he graciously accepted what I could give him, and wished us a safe trip home. Which was completed without further incidents.

Needless to say, I soon had standard tires put on the wheels, and I've never had a flat tire ever since.

Only wish I could get back to that young samaritan and pay him the kind of money he really deserved. I've never been back that way since, though.

kaliek

Aug 31, 2004
My first Encounter...

Hello all.. I have read numerous reports/articles here and I have yet to notice one from a young african american prospective.. Now with that said please allow me to continue. I knew that this would be serious so let me absorb my 1st 9 day trip to the DR.. Okay Im ready LOL.. Needless to say that this was my first trip abroad(I was'nt into flying) anyway 4 planes later let me just say that im ready to go back right now!!(they cured me of my fear)..I met some wonderful people on the plane that helped me get over it hell I sat on the window all the way there( I know that was very brave of me LOL)..Okay back to my story : ;) I travelled with my best friend on some spur of the moment stuff..We booked thru Expedia and things went rather well.Now prior to going I came here and read as much about the Dr as possible!! I visited as many sites as i could find cause hell I wanted to be well informed. Oh I know what you're wondering did all that info help? YES OF COURSE IT DID LOL.. From gifts for the hotel workers to the ie Pepsi,toys for thier kids,bottled water Candy etc.. (those things did get us extra little perks extra towels etc.. I found the Dominican people to be very intresting. we were there during the stormand did see some cows wash up on the beach and that was very funny. We stayed In Barcelo Naiboa Caribe and it was the Bomb(meaning good) as compared to some of the reviews that I read.The staff was on the ball from the landscaping of the property to the food.Okay after 9 days the food was Getting to me hahahaha although we did eat outside of the resort.I think we stayed in the hotel 1 out of the 9 days(catts were on the move amongst the people) The resort is not the place to be if you are single and looking to hook up but if you want a spot to chill outside of Boca Chica and between SanPedro/ Santo Domingo this is it.. and the price was pretty good. Now for all my New Yorkers/New Jersyans its about 45min each way. At the time the cost was either 20 pesos to BC and 50/60 to SD.. plus 40 to SP.If you are gonna go do one thing first LEARN some SPANISH es mui importante!! Now Needless to say I have never seen so many beautiful women in one place in my life!!(okay maybe Atlanta) but without the attitudes!! Needless to say me an my homie was ballin...I did notice that not too many american women of non european descent were travelling here most of them were in Puerto Rico going to other places which turned out to be really cool LOL...Make no mistake we hung out in the hood and that was quite an eye opener even for us and we grew up in the City!! Yes the Poverty is off the hook but the people seem to be generally happy despite it. I guess if you dont know how poor you are it dosent matter(sad but true).Well we did the BC thang the first night and learned really Quick about the PROs,Clubs,Motorconchos,etc.. it did seem like some folks were in business together with the intent of relieving you of your dough LOL.. I was not having it!!! You have to be concious like if youre back home..Over all it was cool you just have to decide if you want to drive or deal with the busses/cabs..(mucho dinero) but the bus did run pretty good from SD to SP(SanPedro)Yes we did meet nice young ladies of all shades(thier bodies /faces were mui bonita) and they were all pretty cool. So being a brother it was good to see a whole country of people that looked like me..I met a few brothers tha were on the DL with thier DC and that was cool did a little networking and hope to see them there again.HOOKED YOU BET hahaha my homie is back in November and myself in January.. We had a blast and im still kicking it with my new DC..Damn ther is much to say but I just want people to know that you dont have to be afraid to go outside of the resort or believe that things are so bad because despite the bad driving especiallay downtown SD at night the people are really cool.So dont get caught up in other peoples bad expierences and go see for yourself just like we did and if youre a single man(youre gonna LOVE it) my advice Just wear a Rubberband on your arm so when you think youre dreaming you can pop yourself and continue..... Peace for now but I'LLLL be Back...

Last edited:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey, what's up?

No new posts for so many months? No positive stories about the Dominicans?
True, not as "sexy" as some of the other posts, such as "inside a cabana" but in the end-it is the people that really make RD great.
I have met many great people there. True, it may take a little while before some of them open up but shown a little kindness and true interest in their lives they give so much more in return.

I will share one. I was last there in March of this year for two weeks.
I spent some time with my friends family and was made to feel very much at home. Even to the point of one of the daughters yelling at me like family when screwing up playing dominos. I had some extra cash and obviously extra time so I bought some paint and spent two days painting the inside and outside of their "humble" home. The others pitched in, we listened to music, shared food and I had a great time.
I truly feel I was the winner in this. What a great experience to be with them and to be made welcome.
Any other stories out there?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
We can on all day regarding these beautiful people!

Since discovering my hidden Dominican background in 1993. I began going back in 1994! I am very white skinned due to my mother being a blanca and my father of Irish blood. I also did not speak a work of Spanish at the time because it was never spoken in my house at home. So, I look like a typical tourist even to this day and it doesn't bother me at all.

One day during Hurricane Georges all of the ATM machines were emptied out by panicking people. I could not access my money! I was broke! Now for those of you that do not know this there is nothing more useless to anyone down there then a broke tourist. But I had a lot of Dominican friends and family. One Dominican friend went out an borrowed 10,000 pesos and came back to give it to me! This is unheard of even from an ex-pat to do something like this. I was invited to so many houses for dinner during that hellish week that I never had eaten so much in my life!

Another time I was visiting my family in Jamao del Norte on the other side of the Jamao River. Well, anyone that knows will know that if you don't have a powerful 4X4 to get up the back way of Jamao or across the Jamao River you will have to cross the river by foot. I wasn't dressed for the campo that day and really didn't want to go visit, I was wearing nice clothes. My cousins and their friends actually carried me across the river and all the way up the next hillside as if I was some king or something. Although I protested all the way they insisted that I enjoy the ride. At one point they put me down to rest and my shoes got muddy. When we got to the house they scrubbed my shoes until they looked like new again!

I love these people to tears!!!!