River erosion control

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Has anyone got any long lasting erosion control ideas using materials or contractors that are available on the North coast.
Have searched high and low for gabion suppliers but no luck.
Would build a series of retaining walls but am concerned that the excessive rains we've experienced in the last 6 months or so will become the norm and any wall system just wouldn't survive.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
you need a piledriver!

In the states there are union carpenter/piledrivers who do that kind of work, they also build walls to proctect homes from the ocean. You are they cost quite a bit down there the equipment just to drive the metal intothe ground most likely has to come from PR. the crane, plus operators will be a 35.00US per man hours three to five men job.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Yes thank you Maria. I am fully aware of the multitudinous options available if I were in the States or Europe for that matter. I am however in the DR, hence my question.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
In other countries, I have noticed that the building of rock-type diversion dams seem to work since they direct the flow toward the center of the natural fall of the stream complex. These types of diversion structures are inexpensive and fairly easy to construct. They have proven to be effective in controling stream flow during the initial flood stages, capturing frontal debris which further strengthens them. I don't know how effective they would be during a massive frontal flow, however.
BTW, these structures commence uphill and are slanted at an oblique angle downstream, similar to tidal breakwaters around harbors, to give you a mental picture of what I am referring to.

Any ideas as to the effectiveness of such structures in the streams of the DR???

Texas Bill

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Gabiones

Ferreteria Hache in SD sell these nets. One is coated with plastic that be used in water or by the sea.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Drake said:
Ferreteria Hache in SD sell these nets. One is coated with plastic that be used in water or by the sea.

Thanks Drake that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Will check them out