Vandal/hurricane/forced Entry Resisting Products

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I've never seen something like this in the DR - must be a really funny thing to see your average DR burglar trying to break a window and the window does not want to break :laugh:

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
3M makes the same type of security film. We have a 3M dealer right down the road from the almirante. Next to DHL.

I used to have the security film on my car in Costa Rica. According to 3M, it could withstand the impact of a tire iron, base ball bat. The glass breaks but the film holds it together.

I've been thinking of coating my sliding glass doors and sliding glass windows in my apartment with it.

click here

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If I'm not mistaken, Dominican Watchman has an ad on tv for something similar...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Lexan

If you can find a dealer who sells Lexan plastic windows they can take a sledgehammer and not break, it just bounces off. The trick is to have window frames that are strong enough to withstand the impact so you don't have the whole window go in even though it didn't break. it is not cheap though.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Thanks

The plastic film looks interesting, I'll have to try that out.

KateP. Do you have a number for this "Dominican Watchman ".

I am actually looking for the whole door/window solution, in a steel frame.

Thanks again.

Gary

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Here are some products and quotes

I have had several discussions with the people at GE Advanced Materials Polymershapes and even a quote.

I asked them for:

1 ? Door (3?x6?8?) with mostly ?? MR10 Lexan clear window and 6? intrusion resistant metal framing. Continuous hinge.
3 ?. 44/400 Fixed Frames (38" X 76?) (Clear or Dark Bronze Anodized Finish) - glazed w/1/2" Clear MR10 Lexan?.
2 - 44/350 Style Casement Windows 36"W x 26"H (Hinged @ head) w/hold-open hardware. (Clear or Dark Bronze Anodized Finish) - glazed w/1/2" Clear MR10 Lexan?.

They were $2,200.00, $3,200.00 and $3,800.00 respectively.

Very nice stuff.

They say their GEPS-Insulgard international division in FL does all the paper work including the ?Consular invoices? for shipping. I voiced my concerns about the ?non-standard? import duties and they said ?No problem.?

Actually the lady they had me speak with was Dominican.