At Last!!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
My "New Thread" facility has come back!! Been without it for about a week!!

Sorry to have hijacked the odd thread or two but not being able to post new threads is a definite hinderance to asking new questions!!

Joining in on the frustrations of EdeNorte kicking us off power for 10 - 14 hours at a time, & realising that our invertor needs the batteries to be recharged evry 14 jours or so, "She who must be Obeyed" & I have decided to sink some of our reserves into a Planta (Generator). Being in a residencial area, we would prefer it to be a quiet motor, deisel if possible, of 10 KW or only slightly larger, sufficient to recharge our invertor batteries & possibly to run two fridges & two air-conditioning units (some of the time).

If anyone can suggest a reliable supplier (reconditioned is good enough for us at our old age!!), or knows of anyone selling their old one to upgrade to a bigger size, I would be pleased to hear of this information. I know about Hillbilly's & am awaiting a reply from him. Puerto Plata is where I live so Santiago, Cabarete, Moca type areas are good enough for me to go inspect the planta!!

Many Thanks - Grahame.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
generators

JDJones said:
Grahame,
I strongly suggest you consider a DENYO generator. I installed a used one for a freind of mine not too long ago, and it is a jewel.
The one I installed was a 12KVA, which should run a household with no problem. These generators are also some of the quietest generators I have come across. You can easily stand right next to it while it is running without having to raise your voice.
The one I installed has a 3 cylinder ISUZU diesel motor, which is very reliable and pretty much low maintenance. Just make sure you keep the oil and filters changed every 200 hrs. or so.
One of the places that sell used and new DENYO's is Danilo Medina in Santiago. When you are travelling from Puerto Plata to Santiago, they are located just a few kilometers before you arrive in Santiago on the right side of the road. You can't miss them.
Hope that helps

Hi, do they have a big one . I need a quiet 35/45 kw generator and nobody appears to want to sell me one.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Wales said:
Hi, do they have a big one . I need a quiet 35/45 kw generator and nobody appears to want to sell me one.

I have a mechanic friend in that area today & he is looking for me. He weill report back tonight (Well, Dominican Tonight so I may have to chase him tomorrow!!).

If/when I go down that way, I'll check into your needs too - maybe we can negotiate a JOINT purchase discount?? Stay in touch & I'll let you know what I find out!!

JD. Thanks for your concise suggestions. GREATLY appreciated because it at least gives me a starting point for information to show I am not TOTALLY ignorant on the subject (I[/I & many who post here] know that I am, but I don't want THEM to know that I am!!) I will heed your advice & take it with me later this week or early next!! Again, Muchisimas Gracias. - Grahame.

T

TiberiusMineola

Confused Dalton - needs help!!

Not on thread. but easier than a phone call. I don't have your correct Codetel & perhaps other email addresses. I mangled the Codetel email address you agave me ? months ago. Can you email me your correct current Codetel email address?? Thank you.
Charles Dalton - dalton.charles@codetel.net.do

BushBaby said:
I have a mechanic friend in that area today & he is looking for me. He weill report back tonight (Well, Dominican Tonight so I may have to chase him tomorrow!!).

If/when I go down that way, I'll check into your needs too - maybe we can negotiate a JOINT purchase discount?? Stay in touch & I'll let you know what I find out!!

JD. Thanks for your concise suggestions. GREATLY appreciated because it at least gives me a starting point for information to show I am not TOTALLY ignorant on the subject (I[/I & many who post here] know that I am, but I don't want THEM to know that I am!!) I will heed your advice & take it with me later this week or early next!! Again, Muchisimas Gracias. - Grahame.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
My 6.5Kw honda which I bought new for about $2k last year has performed like a champ. It will run 1 13k BTU AC, charge my inverter, run my fridge and everything else I have simultaneously.

I am glad I bought it new; even though people felt at the time that I overpaid, I have not had a problem with it.

So my suggestion would be for you to consider buying one new, unless you don't mind dealing with repairs. I'd rather have a smaller new generator than a bigger used one.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Generators and stuff

La Antillana Comercial on the Autopista Duarte going out of Santiago towards Santo Domingo has 35 KW ONAN gensets, brand new.

Amaro Motors, on the highway to Navarrete ( between the Shella and Isal Stations on the North side of the highway, sells used gensets in just about all sizes. Kubota, Denyo are the best diesels for sure.

HB

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bush Baby

adrianb said:
My 6.5Kw honda which I bought new for about $2k last year has performed like a champ. It will run 1 13k BTU AC, charge my inverter, run my fridge and everything else I have simultaneously.

I am glad I bought it new; even though people felt at the time that I overpaid, I have not had a problem with it.

So my suggestion would be for you to consider buying one new, unless you don't mind dealing with repairs. I'd rather have a smaller new generator than a bigger used one.

I also bought a 6.5 Honda Gas in Pto.Pta. about 6 months ago....like the post above states it will do everything in the House including my A/C, .and charges our Trace 3.6 Inverter.

I can't remember the name of the place but's its the big new auto parts store in Puerto plata just down the road from everything for 10 Pesos. At that time I paid US $1000.00 New. I was there 2 weeks ago buying some new tires and saw another one at that time but did not pay much attention to it.
The Honda Gas is very noisy so we had a guy make a muffler at a cost of RD 3500.00 it cut down the noise by about 80%.

Gringo

Last edited:

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Gringo,
I also have a noisy Honda. Would you let me know who built your mufeler?
Jim

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Gringo,
You refer to A C Delco in Doce de Juio!! For English speakers - the owner was educated in the US of A & therfor speaks excellent English. I am due in there this week to get some more distilled water, if anyone wants me to check prices/availability, just PM me & I'll look into it for you. - Grahame.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bushbaby you got it right...

BushBaby said:
Gringo,
You refer to A C Delco in Doce de Juio!! For English speakers - the owner was educated in the US of A & therfor speaks excellent English. I am due in there this week to get some more distilled water, if anyone wants me to check prices/availability, just PM me & I'll look into it for you. - Grahame.

Yes the owner is a Dominican York and speaks perfect English, As I recall his name is Louis and the name of his store is something like Torfelco ( Not sure of the correct spelling). He is a real nice guy and his service and prices can't be beat!

Jim I will check with my wife and get you the name and phone # of the person that custom made our Muffler.

Gringo

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
[Gringo,
Were you able to get the phone ? I will arrive Santiago tomorrow PM. From the sounds over the phone with my wife a few minutes we sure need a muffler.
r
Jim

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hillbilly said:
La Antillana Comercial on the Autopista Duarte going out of Santiago towards Santo Domingo has 35 KW ONAN gensets, brand new.

Amaro Motors, on the highway to Navarrete ( between the Shella and Isal Stations on the North side of the highway, sells used gensets in just about all sizes. Kubota, Denyo are the best diesels for sure.

HB
I visited 2 dealers in Santiago today, the one HB recommended (What a nice guy Cucho is HB!) & another called Luna, 5 1/2 Km out of Santiago on the Navarete road - on the left!!

Prices are pretty similar across the board (Amaro/Luna respectively)
12.5 Kw RD $220,000 - RD $240,000
37.5 Kw RD $420,000 - RD $440,000
These are clean, reconditioned diesels, quiet running. Both are recognised makes although at the moment I do not recall their names. Amaro does not have the 12.5 Kw in stock at the moment (why should he - that was the one I wanted!!!) but the ship with loads on has left Japan & will arrive Santo Domingo within the month. If I can wait that long, I would prefer to go with Amaro as I found it to be a more professional looking operation & Cucho was more concientious at answering the questions I asked!!

2 people are joining with me to follow this through - another requiring a 12.5 Kw & one person needing a 37.5 or greater Kw. With a BULK order we might get the prices mentioned discounted a liitle more!! Yell me or PM me if you are interested. - Grahame.