Secrets Excellence Punta Cana

toasty

Apr 2, 2004
My girlfriend and I just returned from Secrets Excellence Punta Cana; we were there from May 29-June 4. In short, the place is a top notch, outstanding resort. With that said, here are the details:

TRANSFER: The ride from the airport was harrowing, but it did give us the opportunity to see how real people live in the DR outside of the resort. There are tons of potholes and uneven terrain, especially as we got closer to the resort, and the driver was all over the road by neccessity. Consider taking some Dramamine if you are prone to car sickness.

GROUNDS: The property itself is immaculate. Neither words nor pictures do it justice. No matter what direction you look, there is something beautiful to see. Moreover, there are constantly staff members walking around and discretely cleaning, so the grounds are in top condition all the time.

ACCOMODATIONS: We had a third floor garden view room with cathedral ceilings, which I highly recommend if you have the opportunity. Our room was clean and nicely decorated, and the cleaning staff would frequently make decorative things out of the towels or leave rose petals in the jacuzzi tub. We were delighted with our room -- not sure what the upgraded rooms are like, but I did not feel short-changed in the normal room at all. The bed was a little firm for my taste, but I am accustomed to a pretty soft bed at home.

BEACH: The beach is breathtaking -- clear, turquoise-blue water. The red flags were out all week, but most people went into the water anyway to boogie board, body surf, or just bob up and down in the waves. The water is much calmer on either side of the resort if you don't like the waves. There are plenty of loungers out in the sun, but I'd recommend getting one near the palm tress closer to the resort -- the thatch-covered loungers and hammocks are great places to take a nap without worrying about getting scorched, and you can always move out in to the sun as you wish.

POOL: Both pools are outstanding and are perfect for floating around catching some rays. The only place where there is any activity of note is by the pool bar. Everything else is fairly sedate, in a good way. Try to get one of the large thatch-covered huts -- we had some great naps out there...

FOOD: The food was quite good. Although not everything was great, you will be able to find something because of the incredible variety. My favorite place was probably the Mexican place, but I wasn't disappointed by anything I had. If you can't find something you like here, I suspect you have issues.

DRINKS: Plentiful and varied. 'Nuff said.

ENTERTAINMENT: OK, the folks on Broadway are probably safe for now, but the staff tries hard and the shows are entertaining, which is the whole point, I suppose. There are clearly some talented people involved. The staff that does the icebreakers and the daily activities are a riot and are about as friendly a group of people as you could ever imagine. Their smiles are infectious, and they were able to make even the most mundane activity a heck of a lot of fun.

OTHER: A number of reviews I'd read of Secrets in the past spoke of a "language barrier." This baffles me. I actually went out of my way to learn some conversational Spanish before I left, but I was hard-pressed to find anyone that would actually speak it with me when I got there -- I'd address them in Spanish, they'd reply in English. Everyone on the staff seems to speak enough English to communicate with you within the boundaries of their job descriptions. For example, the maids spoke enough English to make sure you had enough towels, etc., but if you wanted to talk with them about how good the food was, you would be out of luck. The folks at the front desk speak great English, so you can always head up there if you have any issues. In other words, no problems on the language front.

In closing, I would note that I have traveled extensively and have had some excellent accommodations over the years. I tend to be a picky eater, and I also tend to be the type of person that will go somewhere and love it, but not return simply because I?d prefer to try some place new. With all that said, Secrets Excellence Punta Cana is among the elite properties I?ve ever visited, and I look forward to returning some time...

Feel free to send any questions my way...

wlepse

May 26, 2004
I was also there from the 29th to the 4th and we had a great time. We were there two years ago on our honeymoon and decided then we had to come back and we weren't disappointed. I would agree with your review whole heartedly, there are a few short comings but the people there are genuinely nice and very helpful.

Transfer: agree, the trip is long and bumpy in places but that is typical for most islands. We also see this as a benefit since there are far fewer people out that far. Also the roads are much improved from our first visit so hopefully the next time they will be even better.

Grounds: agree, they do a wonderful job.

Accomodations: last time we had a garden view room, this time we got a swim out room. The rooms are identical just now we are right at the pool. We had requested the cascade pool in advance since my wife likes the sound of the water. The room itself is very nice and clean and the beds are hard. The only negative were a few ants we say near the mini bar.

Beach: it is amazing, my wife an I enjoyed walking down the beach and basically feeling like we had it to ourselves.

Pools: Both are very clean and very pretty but as I mentioned the wife prefers the sounds at the cascade pool.

Food: We have always been happy with the food. I think our favorite would be either the Mexican or Quisqueya. The one thing that bothered me was the impatience of a lot of vacationers, the service is not fast but come one people your on vacation, relax you have plenty of time! The service is more like what you would find in Europe; they will leave you alone and let you enjoy your meal without making you feel rushed like in the states.

Drinks: Way too many and in the heat with 151 they hit you fast!

Entertainment: agree, very much like what I have seen on several cruises.

As for the language barrier, I really don't get this one either. Two years ago it was a little difficult at times but now things are very different. I never had a problem unless I was asking for something obscure, like cocktail sauce that had a lot of horseradish, she understood the hot and spicy part and brought out a chili sauce.

We also used their spa. My wife got the Peppermint wrap and we also got a package of 5 swedish massages. She enjoyed her wrap/massage and I thought the massages were good too. I would say only one was great though, but that is basically up to your tastes, some people liek it harder than others. We did get two of our massages at the Club House which was very relaxing and for no additional cost.

My wife an I really enjoy this place and really want to go back again, hopefully we won't wait two years again.

kgilmore

Jun 8, 2004
electrical rolling blackouts

toasty said:
My girlfriend and I just returned from Secrets Excellence Punta Cana; we were there from May 29-June 4. In short, the place is a top notch, outstanding resort. With that said, here are the details:

TRANSFER: The ride from the airport was harrowing, but it did give us the opportunity to see how real people live in the DR outside of the resort. There are tons of potholes and uneven terrain, especially as we got closer to the resort, and the driver was all over the road by neccessity. Consider taking some Dramamine if you are prone to car sickness.

GROUNDS: The property itself is immaculate. Neither words nor pictures do it justice. No matter what direction you look, there is something beautiful to see. Moreover, there are constantly staff members walking around and discretely cleaning, so the grounds are in top condition all the time.

ACCOMODATIONS: We had a third floor garden view room with cathedral ceilings, which I highly recommend if you have the opportunity. Our room was clean and nicely decorated, and the cleaning staff would frequently make decorative things out of the towels or leave rose petals in the jacuzzi tub. We were delighted with our room -- not sure what the upgraded rooms are like, but I did not feel short-changed in the normal room at all. The bed was a little firm for my taste, but I am accustomed to a pretty soft bed at home.

BEACH: The beach is breathtaking -- clear, turquoise-blue water. The red flags were out all week, but most people went into the water anyway to boogie board, body surf, or just bob up and down in the waves. The water is much calmer on either side of the resort if you don't like the waves. There are plenty of loungers out in the sun, but I'd recommend getting one near the palm tress closer to the resort -- the thatch-covered loungers and hammocks are great places to take a nap without worrying about getting scorched, and you can always move out in to the sun as you wish.

POOL: Both pools are outstanding and are perfect for floating around catching some rays. The only place where there is any activity of note is by the pool bar. Everything else is fairly sedate, in a good way. Try to get one of the large thatch-covered huts -- we had some great naps out there...

FOOD: The food was quite good. Although not everything was great, you will be able to find something because of the incredible variety. My favorite place was probably the Mexican place, but I wasn't disappointed by anything I had. If you can't find something you like here, I suspect you have issues.

DRINKS: Plentiful and varied. 'Nuff said.

ENTERTAINMENT: OK, the folks on Broadway are probably safe for now, but the staff tries hard and the shows are entertaining, which is the whole point, I suppose. There are clearly some talented people involved. The staff that does the icebreakers and the daily activities are a riot and are about as friendly a group of people as you could ever imagine. Their smiles are infectious, and they were able to make even the most mundane activity a heck of a lot of fun.

OTHER: A number of reviews I'd read of Secrets in the past spoke of a "language barrier." This baffles me. I actually went out of my way to learn some conversational Spanish before I left, but I was hard-pressed to find anyone that would actually speak it with me when I got there -- I'd address them in Spanish, they'd reply in English. Everyone on the staff seems to speak enough English to communicate with you within the boundaries of their job descriptions. For example, the maids spoke enough English to make sure you had enough towels, etc., but if you wanted to talk with them about how good the food was, you would be out of luck. The folks at the front desk speak great English, so you can always head up there if you have any issues. In other words, no problems on the language front.

In closing, I would note that I have traveled extensively and have had some excellent accommodations over the years. I tend to be a picky eater, and I also tend to be the type of person that will go somewhere and love it, but not return simply because I?d prefer to try some place new. With all that said, Secrets Excellence Punta Cana is among the elite properties I?ve ever visited, and I look forward to returning some time...

Feel free to send any questions my way...
WW
[/QUOWere there any problems with rolling electrical blackouts at the resort?

wlepse

May 26, 2004
Not that I recall but I wasn't in the room much so it may have gone out intermittently. But I doubt for very long because the alrm clock never lost the right time.

toasty

Apr 2, 2004
I don't recall any problems with blackouts, but, like wlepse, I didn't spend much time in my room...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Punta Cana hotels are hooked up to a private power company (that has 99.99% reliability last stats I saw) plus the hotels have generator back ups. I have not heard of any hotel in the DR having problems with electricity, except for Hacienda Resorts on rare occasions.