first trip tp DR

polly

Jun 8, 2004
staying @ occidental allegro 14th july for three weeks :classic: (with two teenage daughters) would like to explore for the middle week should we hire a car or a taxi with a driver if taxi approx cost?. are there some good bars near our resort for evenings out. wife loves shopping (dont they all) are there shops near the hotel any other information would be greatly appriciated :mad: vertex@absorbent.freeserve.co.uk

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Taxi

polly said:
staying @ occidental allegro 14th july for three weeks :classic: (with two teenage daughters) would like to explore for the middle week should we hire a car or a taxi with a driver if taxi approx cost?. are there some good bars near our resort for evenings out. wife loves shopping (dont they all) are there shops near the hotel any other information would be greatly appriciated :mad: vertex@absorbent.freeserve.co.uk

You don't say where this AI resort is, and it could be near 4 or 5 large tourist cities, but generally unless you are well insured and have a passion for aggressive driving, use a taxi and avoid the white-knuckle rentals if you are not seasoned in driving within third world countries (or Paris).

I have hired a tourist van and driver and gas for US$75 for 16 hours (10 a.m. to 2 a.m.) so if you can haggle you should be able to get squired around for not a whole lot more than a car+ insurance + tranquilizers.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Shopping

if its the Allegro in Punta Cana, there's not much shopping to be done near the resort aside from the shops on the beach. Plaza Bavaro, about a 25-minute bus or cab ride from the resort, has more shopping that your wife may enjoy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'll wait until he tells us where this is.

Otherwise, all my intelligent answer might go totally useless..

Ho-hum....waiting!

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Suggest you hire a cab and turn this into a sightseeing tour. Get the cab to drive you all the way to La Romana where you can visit the town, Altos de Chavon and La Marina de Casa de Campo. Leave early so you can get a good day of sightseeing in. It's about a two hour drive to La Romana and another two hours back.