Free golf!!!

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
I went to renew my fedogolf (Federacion Dominicana de Golf) membership yesterday on their new address on Macao in Arroyo Hondo and let's just say they don't spend their members fees in signs! This made me hope I'd be able to renew my card for the same price as last year (1730 pesos). Doh!

The price this year is 3500 pesos but the benefits have increased dramatically. Last year I just used it to get a reduction in the greenfee prices and it took me only three rounds at Las Lagunas to be on the receiving end of that deal. This year they throw in the following:
- Free handicap regulation via the GHIN system.
- Discounts in greenfee on various courses around the country. (I'll post some of the deals below)
- Free Golf Dominicano magazines.
- Rebates in pro-shops and major golf stores.
- Participation in Regional and National golf tournaments.
- Free issuing and renewal of a VISA credit card.
- One free round of golf between April and October (low season) on each of the following courses: Puerto Plata, Metro, Las Lagunas, Cocotal, Guavaberry and Dye Fore.

If you're a golfer and you play outside your own club a few times a year this is a super deal, even if the summer sun is going to make a roast out of you.

Here are some of the greenfee reductions:
- Guavaberry g/f 89 USD - fedogolfers 1200 pesos
- Metro g/f 2000 pesos - fedogolfers 1000 pesos
- Las Lagunas weekdays g/f 2000 pesos - fedogolfers 1200 pesos
- Playa Grande high season g/f 101 USD - fedogolfers 1008 pesos
- Playa Grande low season g/f 67.20 USD - fedogolfers 672 pesos
- Dye Fore/Teeth of the Dog g/f 196 USD - fedogolfers 67 USD
- The links at Casa de Campo g/f 140 USD - fedogolfers 67 USD
- White Sand g/f 121 USD - fedogolfers 60 USD
- Puerto Plata (Dorada?) high season g/f 61.60 USD - fedogolfers 1008 pesos

I'd have posted the link to Fedogolf's webpage but I'll save you the trouble: it won't open. Instead here's the phone number and email in case you want to know more: 338-1004 / 338-1009, fedogolf@hotmail.com

The membership pays for itself just be playing the free round at Dye Fore. (you may have to pay for the cart on some courses but hey, the trees don't grow all the way into heaven). I'm off to the links, where did I put the sunscreen?

Cheers,
Bok

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Bok said:
If you're a golfer and you play outside your own club a few times a year this is a super deal, even if the summer sun is going to make a roast out of you.

Bok

Why don't you just take a big manly umbrella and tell the caddy to hold it open over you to protect you from the sun?

Give a bigger tip though, and they will do it, and don't worry about the image it gives to others. You will be intact, while others are melting in that hot Caribbean sun!!

Man, those are excellent deals! Do you know which one is the Puerto Plata? Is it Dorada? Los Mangos?

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
nal0Whs,

I cross checked the phone numbers and it looks like the Puerto Plata golf course that Fedogolf mentions is the one at Playa Dorada.
While I've played at Playa Dorada a couple of times (I remember sweeping the floor with BushBaby and Hillbilly last year, although they might try to tell people something else) I don't know Los Mangos, is it worth a visit? It's not on Fedogolf's list of clubs that gives a discount.

That umbrella idea could come in handy although I wouldn't like to be the person standing close to me when I'm swinging, no matter how big the tip..........

Cheers,
Bok

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Bok said:
nal0Whs,

I cross checked the phone numbers and it looks like the Puerto Plata golf course that Fedogolf mentions is the one at Playa Dorada.
While I've played at Playa Dorada a couple of times (I remember sweeping the floor with BushBaby and Hillbilly last year, although they might try to tell people something else) I don't know Los Mangos, is it worth a visit? It's not on Fedogolf's list of clubs that gives a discount.

That umbrella idea could come in handy although I wouldn't like to be the person standing close to me when I'm swinging, no matter how big the tip..........

Cheers,
Bok

Los Mangos is in Cofresi. It's not championship style (meaning less than 18holes) they are 9 holes, but the course is so-so. It is a nice course, but a bit flat (like Dorada in someways). Maybe because its not championship style its not part of Fedogolfs' list of clubs.

My favorite course is the Playa Grande, I played there only one time and it was tough, but entertaining in some weird way. Part of the reason it was tough had to do with the wind and the awesome views from some of the fairways. Just perfect! I also like the way the golf course in Punta Cana Resort was developed with all that sand creating islands of greens and fairways. Plus the views are quite nice and it is slightly difficult. I haven't tried Guavaberry yet, I've heard some nice things about it and from the rumors going around, Punta Espada in Cap Cana is going to be something to talk about also, I can't wait until that one opens! The other non-championship course that I like just for the setting is the Quintas de Primavera near Jarabacoa. The mountain air and all those pines are a welcome contrast to what's found elsewhere in DR. I would like to see a golf course go up near Azua or maybe around the Enriquillo basin with some cactis as part of the flora. Eventhough the heat will probably be outrageous for much of the year, I played once in desert course in Arizona with a friend (forgot the name) and I liked that desert setting feeling. I think one in the DR would be great!

And of course then there is the Santo Domingo Country Club, which well, doesn't need much explanation. My family just go there because that is the place to be and be seen due to its popularity and its age, it is the oldest on the island, from 1929! It is redicolously beautiful though. Happy golf days!!

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Sd Cc

nal0whs,

Now that you mention it, Sto Dgo Country Club isn't on the Fedogolf list either. I've heard that greenfee there is only possible as the guest of a member. Maybe that's common CC policy, how would I know?
However Jarabacoa is on the list. You'll save 300 pesos on greenfee as a Fedogolf member there.

I'm a regular at Las Lagunas and I enjoy that course more for every time I play it. Many changes in elevation and not particularly long, especially on the back nine. The yardage on 4 of the par 3's are set just between 154 and 160 yards from the white tee, but with the change in elevation and with the wind it could mean as much as 4 clubs.

I played Guavaberry in november. The setting is much like Metro (duh, it is the same area) but nicer with that special spiky palm tree everywhere. The greens are flatter and easier to read than Las Lagunas so I had a pleasant outing.

I agree with you on Playa Grande, truly awesome. I actually shot my best round there a few years ago. The wind wasn't too bad that day and I had an excellent caddy. He received a very decent tip even without holding any umbrella.
I like the courses at Casa de Campo as well, maybe I'll be playing them some more now that I get these huge discounts. Dye Fore will be my first try, I heard it's loooooooooooooooooooong.

Cheers,
Bok

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
While on the subject?

Haven't played golf for around 10 years. I got quite good one long hot summer in the UK while I was being paid a rather nice retainer by a company that was considering setting up in the UK. They paid me not to go and work for anyone else - those really were the days! Anyhow, as a now crap golfer with plenty of time to start to play again can anyone suggest where I should go to pick up some second hand clubs?

Thanks for the info - should save a few dollars

Simon

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Simon,
Do you know what sort of clubs you are looking for?? Type of shaft (Stainlees steel or Graphite) clubhead, length for the irons & drivers?? If not, have a look on www.thegolfwarehouse.com &/or other sites to give you an idea of what is available. We'll try & get Hillbilly up to play Playa Dorada & maybe we could persuade him to make them up for you!! Failing that, I have Golfing friends who come down from various parts of the US & they could be "BUSHWACKED" (pun intended) to bring a decent set to your specifications down with them next trip!!

If you want a game at Playa Dorada course, PM or e-mail me to organise something. I am also in the local telephone book if you want to ring me!! - Grahame.

BOK. Put something on here myself about FedoGolf a few weeks ago & have finally joined!!! Agree with you, it is GREAT value even at RD $3,500!! Now, about that return match ................ Ready when you are brother. Next time the Skipper will be watching over & supporting MY game!!! If you want to make it at Luis's club, Los Aromas in Santiago, that's alright with me as it is a YOUNG man's course & I'll be more at home there!!!- Grahame.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Simon,

I would suggest the internet also. Many top brands have certified second hand stores on there, so you won't be buying 'the cat in the sack' and maybe you'd be able to find the set you used so comfortably to burn down the course 10 years ago.
eBay also comes to mind if you know what you're looking for.
Anyway, if Hillbilly has a deal for you I'm sure that's the best way to go.
Good luck.

Grahame,

I hope I can make a trip north before I'm going back to work. I haven't heard from my employers yet so hopefully later this month. I'll let you know how things work out. If Helmer is watching from above I'm pretty sure it's mostly the 19th which will have his interest. Well, we can honor him there as well......

If there are any DR1'ers who plays Las Lagunas regularly or would like to get going, I'm game? I usually go once or twice a week in the weekdays, so if any one needs a playing partner and is not bothered by moderate swearing and a quirky backswing, PM me and we'll book a tee time (not really necessary at Las Lagunas on weekdays).

Cheers,
Bok

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Thanks for the advice

Hmmmm you've got me thinking now. If I buy a set of clubs and get them delivered (say from golfwarehouse) where do I get them delivered to? Will they come to my door when I don't even have an address? Do I need to pay duty?

Give me six months and a driving range and maybe I'll be up for a round until then - happy golfing!

Simon

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Simon,

Don't you have an address? Then have a friend with an address buy them for you and reimburce him when they get here. Just make sure the place you buy them from delivers world wide. Many just delivers within the USA.

Any duty is usually charged by the courier company, but check with them first.

Hmmm...... it does seem like a lot of trouble to go through to get a second hand set of clubs to go to the driving range. I'll get in touch with Hillbilly if I were you. He can also fix them for you when/if tempers should flare.

Cheers,
Bok

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Just adding this news to the old thread.....

I renewed my Fedogolf membership for 2005 yesterday. It was now possible to do at Las Lagunas so I didn't have to go across town to the office in Arroyo Hondo. Good enough.

Did the prices go up this year, you ask? Of course, I reply. 5000 pesos compared to 3500 last year. (Even they might feel it's steep because they offer the payment to be completed in 5 months at 1000 pesos also) But in this deal you actually get something for the extra dough. Changes to the deal from last year, I quoted it in the first post, are that a lot more courses offer a free round with your membership. Last year Playa Dorado, Metro, Las Lagunas, Cocotal Bavaro, Guavaberry and Dye Fore were the only courses to offer this treat. This year the following are added to that list:
Barc?lo Bavaro, Punta Cana, Bonao, Jarabacoa, Santiago, Playa Grande, Teeth of the dog, and the Links at Casa de Campo.
Still most of the courses only offer the free round in the low season.

Fedogolf did some calculations as to the free rounds and at a rate of 30 pesos = 1 USD they came up with almost 40,000 pesos saved with your membership.

Furthermore this year spouses and children can join Fedogolf cheaper if you're a member: 3000 and 2500 respectively.

There's no excuse, hit the links......

Cheers,
Bok

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Bok said:
I renewed my Fedogolf membership for 2005 yesterday. It was now possible to do at Las Lagunas so I didn't have to go across town to the office in Arroyo Hondo. Good enough.

Did the prices go up this year, you ask? Of course, I reply. 5000 pesos compared to 3500 last year. (Even they might feel it's steep because they offer the payment to be completed in 5 months at 1000 pesos also) But in this deal you actually get something for the extra dough. Changes to the deal from last year, I quoted it in the first post, are that a lot more courses offer a free round with your membership. Last year Playa Dorado, Metro, Las Lagunas, Cocotal Bavaro, Guavaberry and Dye Fore were the only courses to offer this treat. This year the following are added to that list:
Barc?lo Bavaro, Punta Cana, Bonao, Jarabacoa, Santiago, Playa Grande, Teeth of the dog, and the Links at Casa de Campo.
Still most of the courses only offer the free round in the low season.

Fedogolf did some calculations as to the free rounds and at a rate of 30 pesos = 1 USD they came up with almost 40,000 pesos saved with your membership.

Furthermore this year spouses and children can join Fedogolf cheaper if you're a member: 3000 and 2500 respectively.

There's no excuse, hit the links......

Cheers,
Bok

I played the courses for free last year. Guavaberry was by far the best of the free courses.

One big BUT this year though. My favorite course Playa Grande... The prices are NOT updated. It costs 58 USD with fedogolf this year... :(

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
I know....

I didn't update the prices because they didn't give me a sheet with all the greenfee prices this year. We might be in for some surprises when we show up and think we can get a round for last years price.

Since I only play it a few times a year at best, I still say Playa Grande for 58 bucks is worth it. Just had to enjoy last years pricelevel while we had it. Too bad only the front 9 were open when I was there in October.....

Cheers,
Bok

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Number of times Federation Card may be used?

Is there a limit to the number of times the card may be used at a particular course?
I spend 14-15 days in Puerto Plata each year during Chriatmas and play every day. Usually Playa Dorado, Playa Grande and the country club in Santiago. I take my Playa Dorado caddy, Frank, with me to play the other courses and he plays free or now at Playa Grande under thier new management must pay the federation rate.
How would an American get a Federation Card? Even for two teeks it would be an excellent savings.

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Best deal with FEDOGOLF Card

My wife and I just played at Metro Country Club this morning- if you have the FEDOGOLF cards two can play from Monday thru Friday for a total of $460 pesos- including cart. Green fees are free during the week! The Metro is a nice course- not great-but good. The prices are unbeatable and very rarely is it crowded.
We've been playing there for the past few months on the free deal- great deal!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
drtampa said:
Is there a limit to the number of times the card may be used at a particular course?
I spend 14-15 days in Puerto Plata each year during Chriatmas and play every day. Usually Playa Dorado, Playa Grande and the country club in Santiago. I take my Playa Dorado caddy, Frank, with me to play the other courses and he plays free or now at Playa Grande under thier new management must pay the federation rate.
How would an American get a Federation Card? Even for two teeks it would be an excellent savings.

If you are still IN the DR, phone FedoGolf offices at 540 4075 or 338 1004. Chat to Mariel & ask her to fax or e-mail you the application form. Fill that in, return it to her with payment (RD$ 5,000 this year & credit card is easiest) & give her an address to send the membership pack & card to. If you have any problems &/or want the card sending to me, just PM or e-mail me! Oh yeah, don't let Mariel fool you, she DOES speak some English even though we communicate in Spanish!! Tell her I said 'Hi' & to look after you well!!. ~ Grahame.

Edited to add ....... Sorry, forgot the answer re number of times FedoGolf card can be used at any one club. To the best of my knowledge there is NO limit to number of times you can use the card at any club. Obviously if they are in HIGH season & extremely busy, a club will possibly ask you to fit in with their starting arrangement, but that WILL be unlikely. You are only permitted to use the FREE entitlement at each course FedoGolf have an arrangement with ONCE (unless you do a deal like the previous poster of course!!!). Good Luck & keep 'em straight!! ~ GWB.

Last edited:

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
drtampa,
I played at Las Lagunas today and asked what to do to get the Fedogolf membership in your case via Las Lagunas. Here goes:
Call 3727441 or fax 3727446 or write to Raquel Sanchez at rvictoriasanchez@hotmail.com with your request. They will then fax you a copy of the membership formula.
It really helps if you know a little (a lot) Spanish because English is certainly not their strong suit and the membership formula is in Spanish as well. Maybe Mariel at the Fedogolf office is a better way to go. It has to go through there anyway.

BushBaby is right, again I might add. You can use your card every time you play any given course that is part of the deal. They punch a hole in your membership-card, just like an oldfashioned busticket, when you play your free round. From then on it'll be discounts.

Syork,
Try go across the road and play Guavaberry when you're in the neighbourhood anyway. The course is nicer than Metro, hence the more expensive greenfee, but it'll be sad to leave it out of your schedule since you have the Fedogolf deal. I doubt if they'll be able to beat your Metro deal though.......

Cheers,
Bok

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
RandyE said:
Can't WAIT to try this out next week (drool)
Well cinders, your Fairy Godfather will be picking up your membership card tomorrow from MetroPak, so if you are good .............. maybe you WILL go to the ball!!!! ~ Grahame.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
where are they

Being new to the DR and planning a full time move this summer (hopefully) I have no idea where all these courses are. We are novice golfers, but with lots of time on our hands we hope to change that. Can anyone list where these golf areas are. We are moving to the Sousa area. Thanks
Bob K ::