Banks issuing ATM cars with M/C or Visa ?

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
Hello All,

I am interested to know if there are any Banks, with a branch in Sto. Domingo that Issue ATM/Debit cards with the Master card or Visa logo, that could also be used as a credit card. This is common in the states, but I am unaware if it is a practice in the DR.

I would be interested in opening up an account, either $USD or Pesos, and having the card and the "credit line" linked to that account for use as a debit/credit card abroad.

Thanks in Advance....

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
Just a bump... for the thread.

I'm going to be checking banks tomorrow, if no one has info.

Thanks Again

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Ruffino1974 said:
Just a bump... for the thread.

I'm going to be checking banks tomorrow, if no one has info.

Thanks Again

You mean debit cards with master card or visalogo? ummmmmmmmm! never seen any wjat is that? i guess we all living in the jungle...........................

for God sakes man what do you think?

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
ERICKXSON said:
You mean debit cards with master card or visalogo? ummmmmmmmm! never seen any wjat is that? i guess we all living in the jungle...........................

for God sakes man what do you think?

Thanks for responding, even though you didn't offer any assistance. Maybe that was a sincere question or a poor attempt at sarcasm or maybe you do live in a jungle and don't get out much.

If you are interested in helping (which I doubt) and are able to climb to the top of the canopy so your satelite internet connection works, I asked If anyone could help because I did not know the answer, and still don't thanks to you, not because I didn't think you or the other members didn't know. Doesn' t that make sense. If I thought you or they didn't know I wouldn't have asked to try to find out. See what I mean.

Anyway, does anyone who lives within 100 miles or a populated city know if there are any banks in Santo Domingo that issue Debit or ATM cards with either M/C or Visa logo that are linked to a checking or savings account in that bank that can be used as a credit card/debit card abroad. If so, does the account need to be in Pesos/Dollars/either and can a non-resident open such an account.

Erickxson, you can completely ignore the question again if you like and just practice your sarcasm, you need it.

All others, Thanks in advance

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
I thought this was a valid question and am also waiting for a serious reply, I am sure that there are others who are too.

I tried asking in a couple of banks about 6 months ago, but with no luck. So come on guys, help us out here if you can, please.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Ruffino1974 said:
Thanks for responding, even though you didn't offer any assistance. Maybe that was a sincere question or a poor attempt at sarcasm or maybe you do live in a jungle and don't get out much.

If you are interested in helping (which I doubt) and are able to climb to the top of the canopy so your satelite internet connection works, I asked If anyone could help because I did not know the answer, and still don't thanks to you, not because I didn't think you or the other members didn't know. Doesn' t that make sense. If I thought you or they didn't know I wouldn't have asked to try to find out. See what I mean.

Anyway, does anyone who lives within 100 miles or a populated city know if there are any banks in Santo Domingo that issue Debit or ATM cards with either M/C or Visa logo that are linked to a checking or savings account in that bank that can be used as a credit card/debit card abroad. If so, does the account need to be in Pesos/Dollars/either and can a non-resident open such an account.

Erickxson, you can completely ignore the question again if you like and just practice your sarcasm, you need it.

All others, Thanks in advance
You don't have to be a resident to open a bank account. I had a passport and a couple of letters of recommendation from banks/brokers in the US and I was treated nicely.

You can't get ATM for dollar accounts. At least not where I bank which is Banco Santo Cruz. They will not give you a visa or M/c logo on the atm either. I think Banco Popular will but not on a dollar account but may be wrong since I only sign on a account there and don't have my own. I can ask next week if you would like.

Scott

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
The idea is

that I would like an atm card on a peso account so that when I go back to the UK for a visit later this year I can use the card to get sterling rfom my peso account.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Don't Think So

Sharron said:
that I would like an atm card on a peso account so that when I go back to the UK for a visit later this year I can use the card to get sterling rfom my peso account.

Pretty sure it is pesos out of the peso account while in the DR, if it works outside the country I'd be amazed since liquidity issues arise the same way by the DR bank having to sell RD$ for Stg. or US$ if used overseas to draw out thsose currencies. You can ask the bank if it is Cirrus or Plus or what have you enabled.

Leaving any sizeable amount of $$ in RD$ is a mug's game too of course you know that.

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
Hi Ricktoronto

The problem is I lready have some pesos and I get paid in pesos. My thought behind this approach was that I would leave my salary in the bank, in pesos, and draw it out when in the UK, in sterling. The advantage being I don?t have to carry cash on me whilst travelling and I can get rid of a few more pesos, without the hassle of trying to buy dollars etc, and I don?t have to spend any of my precious dollars or my sterling in the bank in the UK.

Oh well I?ll have to think of another angle.

Thanks

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Don't know if this helps but.....

I used my Banco Popular ATM card in Canada to debit from my DR peso account, without any trouble. You just have to make sure that the ATM machine where you go has the ATH or Cirrus logo :rolleyes:

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
Scott, Rick and others, thanks for the info. Tried a couple banks today, to no avail. I am still searching, and will post my results. It seems like others are in the same situation that I am in. Not too surprising. A cirrus, nyce or other internationally recognized group would be fine. Anyone that can add anything, would be greatly appreciated and would same me some time in the ever worstening santo domingo traffic.