Yuca and Yucca!

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Yuca is the white root origin Africa, many medical value, dries wounds, cotes the stomatch, use in to form pills in the pharmasudicals industry.
Yucca is an native to the new world the root is wash off to elininate toxins; the remainder which is a dry and used to make casabe. It is not affected by too much rain or no rain. Most people don't even know that this is the poisonous yucca that the native could have poisoned the European.
It happens to be used as a great weight management product in the US by many , eliminate your starch and replace it with casabe it works.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
mariaobetsanov said:
Yuca is the white root origin Africa, many medical value, dries wounds, cotes the stomatch, use in to form pills in the pharmasudicals industry.
Yucca is an native to the new world the root is wash off to elininate toxins; the remainder which is a dry and used to make casabe. It is not affected by too much rain or no rain. Most people don't even know that this is the poisonous yucca that the native could have poisoned the European.
It happens to be used as a great weight management product in the US by many , eliminate your starch and replace it with casabe it works.
Was this the reply to a question in another thread?

Anywho... Cassava or yucca is the edible root of the plant called yucca. Yuca is Spanish for Cassava, Cassava bread is Casabe in Spanish. Confusing, uh?

Bitter Cassava (yuca amarga) is poisonous, the one we eat everyday is not. The Taino indians prepared a bread made of bitter cassava that they let to ferment (or rather to rot as they had maggots at the end of the process), in the process it was rendered edible.

And it isn't african, it was been grown right here by the Tainos when Columbus found them.

I am sure somebody smarter than I will soon come alone and opine on this.

Last edited:

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
yucca it a told desert-like plant the roots is a ball!

Yuca amarga is just that, it is not the one they make casabe with it is the yucca. it does not look or are in the same family. It looks like Yarey. the flower is eaten dip with cranble egg. The bundle or bunch of flowers are extremly large. go on the internet and see the difference. I researched for wieght loss purpose. It works since it very low in starch. Yuca is very high starch.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
mariaobetsanov said:
Yuca amarga is just that, it is not the one they make casabe with it is the yucca. it does not look or are in the same family. It looks like Yarey. the flower is eaten dip with cranble egg. The bundle or bunch of flowers are extremly large. go on the internet and see the difference. I researched for wieght loss purpose. It works since it very low in starch. Yuca is very high starch.

Hi,

This is a very interesting topic. Cassava is a really surprising root. I don't know if they use bitter or sweet cassava in DR for casabe, but in the french Antilles they use bitter. In Haiti also, I think.

The aspect of sweet and bitter is different, as well as their cyanhydric content. Bitter, as well as sweet, comes from Brasil, then the Indios propagated in Central America and Carribbean, then the Europeans over the whole world, including Africa, as they did with potato.

I could not find any info about lower starch content in the sweet variety? I know that the bitter is grown for starch better than the sweet, but apparently it is because root yields are higher, not starch content. That's also the reason why Africans grow bitter cassava.

Anyway, I think that when His Baldness told the people to eat yucca, he was not so fool (although he didn't know). So many things you can do with that.

Barnab?

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
tapioca=starch!

Yes the starch of the yuca makes tipoioca it the starch that thickens many other disches. It also makes great gravies, and is used to starch clothes, remenber to keep it light, its keeps your clothes stain free up to four wash,even babies clothes. Trndering starch is labor intensive. Yuca can be purchased in bags frozen. Yucca can be purchased in frakes dried in bags in the floor section. 30 runs about $2.50 US .