Public Transp. Punta Cana - Bayahibe - Puerto Plata

mellowmaniac

Jun 9, 2004
Hi,

I`ll fly to Punta Cana and have to travel after arrival to Bayahibe. I haven't found infos about busses from PC to Bayahibe and would very much appreciate help about this!

After my stay in Bayahibe I have to go to Puerto Plata for flying back. Does anyone know if there are busses from Bayahibe to Santa Domingo or straight to PP?

Thanks for any help!

MM

Last edited:
WOW!!!! How much money did you save by making this big a mess of your vacation? If I were you I would pay a taxi for the hour to hour and a half ride to Bayahibe because no busses stop there,and if they do its on the main road about a 10 mile ride into the hotels there. As for going to Puerto Plata take a Metro or Caribe tour bus to capital and switch to another bus to Puerto Plata Good Luck!!!
Badpiece

mellowmaniac

Jun 9, 2004
Actually we really saved a lot of money. We got the flights from Germany for 198 Euro (230 $ - what is a real bargain) and thought Bayahibe would be a nice place to stay. And I thought it would be nice to see something of the DR by traveling across the land...

I didn't thought that there might me no public transportation from Punta Cana to Bayahibe, because it seems to be on the way to Santa Domingo...

Do you have a guess what a cab might cost for the trip or if there are other possibilities to get there? Same problem should be for the trip from Bayahibe to Santa Domingo, right?

Cheers,

t.

What hotel are you staying in at Bayahibe? You might want to rent a vehicle if you plan on seeing the country. The problem with Bayahibe is that the main road is like 10 miles away from the hotels by the beach. for the trip into Santo Domingo you can catch express busses in La romana which is close to Bayahibe.
Badpiece

mellowmaniac

Jun 9, 2004
We booked the Viva Domenicus Palace to stay there for 8 nights and saved one and a half day to get to Puerto Plata Airport.

We heard that driving on your own is kind a crazy on the DR, so planned to travel by busses...

Actually we decided (opposite to our usual habbits) to book an AI hotel to avoid too much stress for a nine day trip!

The trip seems more and more adventurous to me... but I'm sure it will be fun. ;)

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
mellowmaniac said:
We booked the Viva Domenicus Palace to stay there for 8 nights and saved one and a half day to get to Puerto Plata Airport.

We heard that driving on your own is kind a crazy on the DR, so planned to travel by busses...

Actually we decided (opposite to our usual habbits) to book an AI hotel to avoid too much stress for a nine day trip!

The trip seems more and more adventurous to me... but I'm sure it will be fun. ;)

check old postings i have everything written there or email me at mrs_sunscapespcg@hotmail.com

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is a cheap bus that goes from Bavaro/Punta Cana to La Romana town. Ask in Punta Cana and take a taxi to the bus stop. Buses leave several times during the day, you need to check the hours. From there you can take a taxi to the Dominicus Hotel.

Ditto, you can take a taxi from Dominicus Hotel to La Romana town and from there you take the express bus to Santo Domingo. It puts you into a terminal that is a dump, but in an interesting area -- Avenida Duarte -- a commercial street where everything is sold cheap. Just watch your belongings, you will be safe. Everyone uses that terminal that belongs to a union that does not allow competition.

Once you get into Santo Domingo, take a taxi (cost should be under US$3) to the Metro Bus station. There you can catch the bus to Puerto Plata town. If you are headed to Sosua, then get the taxi to take you to Caribe Tours bus terminal that goes to Sosua.

-------

If you are a real traveler and adventurer, then rent a car. To go by public transportation, lugging around suitcases, can be stressful. Pick up your car at the Punta Cana airport. See http://www.dr1.com/national/

From Punta Cana to La Romana/Bayahibe is not a difficult drive. You just need to be sure to get off the main highway, where the detour to the Bayahibe area is. But there is a big sign.

My recommendation is always to have someone point out on a map where you are going, and every once in a while stop to ask someone. You will find lots of people who speak English, or can point you in the right direction.

Remember, ask when you think you may be going in the wrong direction and ask when you think you are headed in the right direction. Ask as you reach each point on the map.

Another pointer is to start off early so you get to your night time destination before the sun is down. Since this is summer, you have until 7 pm. Do not drive at night, as signage is not good, so it becomes less easy to ask and ask, as you can during the daytime.

At the Jumbo Supermarket in La Romana, purchase a good map and you are set to see the rest of the country.

Heading from La Romana to Santo Domingo, we recommend you stay on the main road, do not detour to the express highway. If you decide to take the chance, you need to go south at a cross point prior to crossing a bridge. If you do not go south at that point, you will find yourself heading to the north part of Santo Domingo, which means you trip into the city will take you an extra half hour or hour because of all the traffic.

Once in Santo Domingo, take the express lanes into the city. This will put you on 27 de Febrero Avenue. You need then to take Maximo Gomez, Abraham Lincoln or Winston Churchill Avenue crossings to go north and get on the John F Kennedy avenue that leads into Duarte Highway that will take you north to Puerto Plata.

The road north is easy, with the exception of the detour you need to take in Santiago to Navarrette and then to Puerto Plata. Again the signage is not good so you need to watch carefully for the road that goes to Puerto Plata.

Last edited:

crazydominicana

Jun 10, 2004
Call dollar rent a car 1-800-800-3665 - it will be a lot more easier than taking public transporation...

mellowmaniac said:

mellowmaniac

Jun 9, 2004
Thank you very much for your comprehensive help!!!!

I really feel much safer now about what I have to expect! ;)

Cheers,

Thorsten

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
May I add that if you are coming to Santo Domingo, you should reserve time to at least see the sights of the Colonial City. If you are driving, get someone to point out where you need to turn after you cross the Ozama River. Once you cross the river, you are right near the Colonial City.

If you decide to come by bus, from the bus station, hire a taxi to take you to the Colonial City. Have him drop you off at the Cathedral, and then walk north up Calle Las Damas to the Alcazar. Have lunch at Plaza de Espa?a. And then take the taxi to catch the bus to Puerto Plata.

If you are driving, maybe you have time to overnight in Santo Domingo -- check out http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/sofitel_frances.shtml
http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/sofitel_no.shtml
http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/mercure_comercial.shtml
for hotels in that area.

mellowmaniac

Jun 9, 2004
Wow, the Sofitel hotels look really beautiful!

Perhaps we should stay our last night in Santo Domingo...

Do you think it is a risk to leave SD in the morning to get to PP airport in time with a planned departure at 15.00h?

Cheers,

Thorsten

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Try changing your departure flight to leave from Santo Domingo. If this is not possible, yes, you can make it to Puerto Plata. It is a 4 hour drive to the airport for those who know, so you need to give yourself 6 hours. If you leave at 6-7 am, you can get there in time for a dip in Sosua Beach, which is about 15 minutes from the airport. That is assuming you are driving and have arranged to drop off your car at the Puerto Plata airport.

If you are going up by bus, then take Caribe Tours bus to Sosua, but the problem is what to do with your suitcase! Regardless, the Sosua Bus will put you closer to the Puerto Plata airport than the Metro Bus, so take that one anyway. From the station, you take a cab to the airport...

On the other hand, maybe you can get a registered taxi driver at Caribe Tours to hold on to your luggage as you take a dip in Sosua Beach prior to him taking you to the airport in time for your flight. To get all this done, take the earliest bus out of Santo Domingo. Believe Caribe Tours has one at 6 am. Take that one, so you have time to enjoy some of Puerto Plata.

Next plan on coming back to fully enjoy the north coast!

mellowmaniac

Jun 9, 2004
I can't change flights, because I got dicount flights - what is the reason why I booked the two different airports...

And yes, if I like it on the DR I definitely will come back!

I initially wanted to go to Samana but thought it might be a little bit to stressfull to arrive in PC go to Samana by public transportation and leave from PP - and all within 9 days... But I didn`t get the point that Bayahibe isn`t as easy to get to as I thought. ;)