living in santiago

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Hi all, can anyone please give me some info on living in Santiago.
Whats Santiago like? The traffic? Things to do? Night life? Malls? ECT.

Also has anyone heard of this area, "JARDINES DE YAQUE"? hows that area like is it a nice place to live? Is it a good naborhood? (excuse my spelling)

Any and all ifo will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mekk...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Traffic: IMHo worse than SD because the streets are puny, buit the town is smaller so you still arrive to wherever faster.

Things to do? Well most Santiagans leave town to have fun, either to the campo to visit relatives, the north coast for beaches, or SD to party. There are nightclubs here, some of them are even kind of cool, but Santiago is basically a small town.

There is 1 indoor mall (closed this week because of a fire) with a second mall opening later this year.

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
MrMike said:
Traffic: IMHo worse than SD because the streets are puny, buit the town is smaller so you still arrive to wherever faster.

Things to do? Well most Santiagans leave town to have fun, either to the campo to visit relatives, the north coast for beaches, or SD to party. There are nightclubs here, some of them are even kind of cool, but Santiago is basically a small town.

There is 1 indoor mall (closed this week because of a fire) with a second mall opening later this year.

I thought Santiago is suppose to be the 2nd Capitol?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
This country is very small and has few cities of any significance. Santiago is one of them. I don't know how that makes it a "second capitol" a bit oxy-moronic, don't you think? When I moved here 5 years ago there were 0 indoor malls and one overpass. Now there are 2 overpasses and by the end of the year there will be 2 indoor malls. In the US a city any less developed than Santiago might not even get a spot on the map.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Santiago is great

It doesn't have much in the way of clubs and malls. But I never had problems finding things to do. The north coast is close and public trasportation abundant. It is smaller that SD. But in my book it is a plus.
You will be able to find anything you could want or need there. Traffic on the main roads around the city can be bad. Especially early in the morning when the whole world is on their way to work.
I would choose Santiago over SD anytime. And do plan to live there again eventually.
P.S. it is the second capitol because it's the second largest city in the country.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think MrMike is having a bad day..

Santiago is certainly not a cultural desert, nor is it the most vibrant of cities, like New York or LA.

However, I do not think it is fair to measure a city by the number of overpasses and malls.

Santiago is the heart of the country. It is an intellectual center, and educational center and a cultural center. It is also a major industrial center with the rum, cigarette and cigar industry pretty much based here, and shoe manufacturing, leather goods furniture making an importan part of the city's economic life. It is also a major zona frana center with four important industrial free zones, and an important cement factory. Santiago happens to be the most important medical center in the North of the country, and the URJMCB hospital serves the entire 13 provinces of the Cibao.

Now for partying, apparently it is okey, too. My boys never seem to lack for having fun, nor my daughter, either. The Centro Espa?ol offers many dances for its members, and there are clubs from Ambis to Tribeca for all classes of people. For the bachata loving crowd there are at least 10 Rancho T?picos within 20 minutes of town center. Places like Daiqui Loco, Pops, Baja, Francifol are where the younger, more middle class and professional folks get together. For older folks there are lots of really good places to eat: Cosa Nostra, Nano's, La Parillilla, El Caf?, Maroma, Mezzaluna, Pasta House are just a few. And it has some of the best "friquitines" in the country, like "El Humazo" on the road to La Cumbre or Meca's on the hwy to POP via the tunnel...

There are dozens of softball fields and league play is very popular. Tennis, basketball, baseball and volleyball are popular. The shooting sports are also available but terribly expensive because of government restrictions (for which I am sure Hipolito is giving thanks to God, right about now!!). Judo, Karate, Table tennis are also well represented. Swimming is available at three locations-Amaprosan, PUCMM and the Centro Espa?ol. I do not know if the new facilities of Gurabito Country Club have a pool.

One thing. Santiago-middle and upper class Santiago, but it also applies to most of the families here- is very family fun oriented. By that, I mean that a lot of what goes on is family stuff. Birthdays, even the baby's birthdays are excuses for the grownups to get together for some fun. The 15 yr birthday for the girls is a major event. For example, at our house, a really sh!tty, dreary, rainy day almost always means that there will be a huge 'sancocho' with casabe and beer. Our closest friends know this and when it is raining a lot of them will stop by to have lunch. Sancocho, casabe, avocado and beer...15-18 people is about par for that day....

So, Santiago, with a lot more that 505,000 people nowadays, is a pretty cool place to live and raise kids. It can be closed to newcomers, until they make friends, but that is awful easy to do here.

HB

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks HB

Hillbilly said:
Santiago is certainly not a cultural desert, nor is it the most vibrant of cities, like New York or LA.

However, I do not think it is fair to measure a city by the number of overpasses and malls.

Santiago is the heart of the country. It is an intellectual center, and educational center and a cultural center. It is also a major industrial center with the rum, cigarette and cigar industry pretty much based here, and shoe manufacturing, leather goods furniture making an importan part of the city's economic life. It is also a major zona frana center with four important industrial free zones, and an important cement factory. Santiago happens to be the most important medical center in the North of the country, and the URJMCB hospital serves the entire 13 provinces of the Cibao.

Now for partying, apparently it is okey, too. My boys never seem to lack for having fun, nor my daughter, either. The Centro Espa?ol offers many dances for its members, and there are clubs from Ambis to Tribeca for all classes of people. For the bachata loving crowd there are at least 10 Rancho T?picos within 20 minutes of town center. Places like Daiqui Loco, Pops, Baja, Francifol are where the younger, more middle class and professional folks get together. For older folks there are lots of really good places to eat: Cosa Nostra, Nano's, La Parillilla, El Caf?, Maroma, Mezzaluna, Pasta House are just a few. And it has some of the best "friquitines" in the country, like "El Humazo" on the road to La Cumbre or Meca's on the hwy to POP via the tunnel...

There are dozens of softball fields and league play is very popular. Tennis, basketball, baseball and volleyball are popular. The shooting sports are also available but terribly expensive because of government restrictions (for which I am sure Hipolito is giving thanks to God, right about now!!). Judo, Karate, Table tennis are also well represented. Swimming is available at three locations-Amaprosan, PUCMM and the Centro Espa?ol. I do not know if the new facilities of Gurabito Country Club have a pool.

One thing. Santiago-middle and upper class Santiago, but it also applies to most of the families here- is very family fun oriented. By that, I mean that a lot of what goes on is family stuff. Birthdays, even the baby's birthdays are excuses for the grownups to get together for some fun. The 15 yr birthday for the girls is a major event. For example, at our house, a really sh!tty, dreary, rainy day almost always means that there will be a huge 'sancocho' with casabe and beer. Our closest friends know this and when it is raining a lot of them will stop by to have lunch. Sancocho, casabe, avocado and beer...15-18 people is about par for that day....

So, Santiago, with a lot more that 505,000 people nowadays, is a pretty cool place to live and raise kids. It can be closed to newcomers, until they make friends, but that is awful easy to do here.

HB

You did a much better job of saying what I meant. It really is a vibrant, active, full service city.
By the way: Is the Pez Dorado still there? I heard it closed. That was a great place for a good steak.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
How could I ever forget the Pez!

My first son was almost born there and we celebrated the birth of my #3 grandson there . And Birthdays, weddings and happy events are there. One of Santiago's greatest places to eat. My apologies to Jorgito, Alfredo and his family.

HB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I personally prefer Santo Domingo, but I'm a businessmen and I like the big city life, despite Santo Domingo having many areas that look and feel more suburban than big city. But, I would consider a city like Santiago once I reach my 50s or 60s and then maybe Sosua or Las Terrenas for ages after that. Again, for me its all in the ambiance of the cities and how it feels.

The good thing about Santiago (aside from what has been mentioned here by Hillbilly) is its environs. Within striking distance there are a good number of pleasant towns (they would have been perfect towns if it wasn't for the motorcycles increasing the noise level) many of which are quite prosperous. Santiago is in the Center of the Cibao Valley, the wealthiest region in the DR (Santo Domingo is the wealthiest city with Santiago coming in as 2nd, but for centuries Santiago was the wealthiest city). The people of Santiago seem more refined than those of the Capital, they appear to be much more traditional unlike those of the Capital which accept modernity at a much rapid pace than those of Santiago. Santiago has a sizable wealthy peoples community composed mainly of Old Money. This mean that these people are much more refined and much more pleasant and less flashy in many ways than the rich folks that live in the Capital, and that makes these people much more interesting to talk to.

Within easy reach of Santiago there are mountains (visible from the city) both to the north and southwest of the city. The mountains to the southwest are home to towns like Jarabacoa, San Jose de las Matas, and Janico, which are pleasant mountain communities with perfect weather. Never too hot and always cool nights, especially in Jarabacoa. Lots of activities and many families head for the mountains on weekends to cool off and get away from the tropical heat in the center of town. North from the city is the North Coast with lots of beaches, tourism and activities. The City is well connected to SD to the south where you can get whatever you want (in someways its like NY, without that big city feeling, though some areas are more urbanized than others in SD). Santiago is also a pleasant 2 to 3 hour ride (depends how fast you drive) from the redicolous beautiful Peninsula de Samana.

Santiago is served by the new and attractive but small Cibao International Airport and its well connected with luxury coach buses runed by Metro Espresso and Caribe Tours - the two best bus companies in the country, if not the entire Caribbean.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Hillbilly is right as usual...

I was having a bad day.

The thing is living in Santiago is more of an obligation for me than a personal choice, I feel so good everytime I get to leave town to SD on business or to the north coast to kick back. - SD makes me feel like I am back in the real world, and the North Coast makes me feel like I have something to look forward to when I retire.

Santiago is good enough for me to have been able to deal with it for the past 5 years. But I am a guy who doesn't get out much, I am much more likely to spend an evening messing with my computer than prowling around the town looking for a party. (now that I am married, anyway) I am about to join the Centro Espanol, maybe I'll run into some of AZB's "elites" or Hillbilly's "intellectuals" there.

Hb

For example, at our house, a really sh!tty, dreary, rainy day almost always means that there will be a huge 'sancocho' with casabe and beer. Our closest friends know this and when it is raining a lot of them will stop by to have lunch. Sancocho, casabe, avocado and beer...15-18 people is about par for that day....

I have to agree but it doesnt have to be raining, HB's is a fun place a beehive of activities most times....I only wish on my trip there my driver had not forgot the directions to the "Hillbilly's Hovel". I won't make that mistake a second time, I'll call him in advance....

? Hlywud

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
MrMike said:
I was having a bad day.

The thing is living in Santiago is more of an obligation for me than a personal choice, I feel so good everytime I get to leave town to SD on business or to the north coast to kick back. - SD makes me feel like I am back in the real world, and the North Coast makes me feel like I have something to look forward to when I retire.

Santiago is good enough for me to have been able to deal with it for the past 5 years. But I am a guy who doesn't get out much, I am much more likely to spend an evening messing with my computer than prowling around the town looking for a party. (now that I am married, anyway) I am about to join the Centro Espanol, maybe I'll run into some of AZB's "elites" or Hillbilly's "intellectuals" there.

The truth is that Santiago is missing something for it to be perfect and that is water!! That's why SD beats Santiago (any Santiagueros, ignore this comment). In SD you are never far from the sea and that is a big plus. In addition, there are some big nice parks in SD and then there is that alive feeling of the city as it just keeps buzzing well into the night! I love SD!!!

Then there is the north coast! Beautiful scenery, mountains, nice enough towns, and the ocean. That makes the difference. Santiago would have been perfect if it was on the coast, but it does makes it up by being near the mountains. The thing is that SD is also near the mountains, so SD beats STG as a place to live for my needs.

Though I enjoy passing through Santiago or spending some time in Santiago, the truth is that enjoyment only last a couple of hours. Afterwards, I'm speeding along Autopista Duarte on my oversized SUV to the Capital!! What can I say, SD is just perfect - with its perks and all!!