Colleges

laila84nc

Jun 10, 2004
Hola Todos

I'm new to this website, so I hope I'm posting this on the right forum. Anyway, I'm a Spanish major at a university in North Carolina, USA, and I really want to Study Abroad in Latinamerica. My primary choices are M?xico Puerto Rico, and in lieu of this website, the Dominican Republic. The idea of studying in DR has crossed my mind before (afterall, with the assumption that what I see and hear is true, I'd love to be in an environment where all, or at least most, of the people look something like me).

So my question: what are some prospective colleges at which to study Spanish? I?m probably at the intermediate level of the Spanish language (I can hold a conversation, but still stumble over words and phrases here and there). Do you think DR is a good place to enhance my fluency in the language? In general, how are foreigners (particulary Americans) received among the natives? Any information would be beneficial. Thanks!

Laila

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Lieu?

laila84nc said:
Hola Todos

... and in lieu of this website, the Dominican Republic.

The idea of studying in DR has crossed my mind before ..... Do you think DR is a good place to enhance my fluency in the language? In general, how are foreigners (particulary Americans) received among the natives? Any information would be beneficial. Thanks!

Laila

Actually in lieu of means instead of this website, maybe you want to say in view of .....

Are you looking for a primarily English language university with Spanish courses? I think most if not all the universities are teaching entirely in Spanish ( which I guess would be a trial by fire way to learn Spanish) and I am sure they would also teach Spanish the same way a university in North America teaches English. Literature, grammar, writing etc. But the other courses might be tough.

You can also take time off and go to the DR for residetial immersion language courses, live with a family, take Spanish 5 days a week, that sort of thing.

Americans are treated just fine. Canadians :) even better.

You know the people in the DR range from nearly white to totally black so the comment about everyone looking like you means what? Two arms, legs, one head etc., not alien pod people? I am not sure that physical resemblance is grounds to go or not anywhere in the world.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While Rick beat me to the grammar,

Here are some options.

The PUCMM in Santiago has courses of Spanish for Foreigners.

So does the Instituto Dominico-Americano in Santo Domingo.

And there are other places, too.

There are student programs being run by the Ciee??.

However, you should know that you can come here and study whatever you want and lots of places.

That said, also know that this is a Third World country with serious problems at the present time. No electricity for most of the day, currency devaluation and high inflation. But the people are wonderful and life is still great.

You will have to suffer a cultural shock as do all newcomers, but it passes and you will have a lot to do. At PUCMM, in Santiago, you will find a lot of exchange students studying Spanish and living with Dominican families. Of course they learn tons of Spanish and a few other lessons.

Check out: www.pucmmsti.edu.do

Cordially,

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I believe the PUCMM mentioned in the previous post offers a major degree in Spanish language. You should check it out. The programmed is offered at their Santo Tomas de Aquino branch in Santo Domingo.

You can live with the power problems like the rest of us Dominicans -- just rent a place that has a back up power plant, so you are sure to come home to power at night -- at least until midnight. Devaluation compensates for inflation, right now for anyone who has income in US$ or EUR, the DR is a bargain place to live, so your $ will stretch here.

And there is hope that by December 2004, most of the major problems will be straightened out -- power should be back regular -- as the new government will have had five months to get things back to order.