Hippo and his lies!!

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Hey all, Today while reading some of the DR newpapers online (HOY DIGITAL)

I read that Hippo and secutary of financises (Rafael Calderon) say that they (the goverment) don't owe any money to the (generadores) and that I (Hippo) can't understand why they just don't put the power on.

I mean how in the hell can this be posible?? If the goverment (if you can call these thieves that!!) Don't owe any money then how in the hell can they allow these companies to stop servicing the public?? This is such bull----!!

Hippo is in my opiniun the worst president to ever govern the DR. and the biggest f---ing lier in the world!!

Sorry guys but I just had to let some steam out before I explode,

Please share you thoughts.

Mekk.

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
Dominican fatalism is the main problem

mekkizm said:
Hippo is in my opiniun the worst president to ever govern the DR. and the biggest f---ing lier in the world!!

Mekk.

Hi Mekkizm,

Understand how you feel, you're not the only one.
As an expat, I must say I am quite lucky (I can afford an inversor and will buy a power generator these next days). But I am wondering how people can stand this situation. Should this happen in most of the countries I know, hundred of thousands of the people would be in the street to protest.

It seems that, here, Robbery and treachery is commonly accepted. Do the people understand that this is THEIR country and that the governement steals THEIR money ? It seems like if they did not care. "N'hay luz ? Ha po'ta bien". I am fed up with the dominican fatalism. Dominicans are so fast to react when someone insult them in the street and they let "El Calvo I" do what ever he wants!!!! In any country of the world there would be a coup. Or is there they are so afraid of the army ? According to my wife (she's Dominican) people are frightened and would not dare to do anything. Each time I am angry against these a**holes of the governement and say something, she tells me to hush, as "we never know who could hear me".
Yesterday night, TV entertainer Freddy went mad, saying all what he felt about these people, in a REALLY angry way. He told they just were a pack of thieves that consider the people as if they were sh**. As far as I know, I Think he received a 70,000 RD$ bill from CDE or EDESur !!! I whish more people react the way he did !
I like this guy, he did for Jimani what the government didn't and now he says loud and clear what everyone is thinking.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
..it's become habitual and acceptable...

The DR's energy problems have been around for over 40 years and to the people it's become habitual and acceptable to have power only for a number of hours per day.

Those of us that know how things work and the nature of the beast of the PRD bunch running the government, were well aware that the alleviation prior to the elections were a campaign strategy and that afterwards, win or lose, the blackouts would increase. Why is everyone surprised that a bankrupt and corrupt to the core government owes 360 million dollars to the power generators? That money, and a lot more, was spent on campaigns, amassing personal fortunes, etc.

There are still 56 days of Hippo left....y le falta mucho por hacer...(and he still has lots to do)...his campaign slogan.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Hey, everyone, maybe these are the "buenos tiempos" -- the good times ahead -- that Hipolito promised everyone during his campaign!

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
maybe not DR related

I was stationed in Guam for three years in the 80s. The power system there was originally the Navy's system taken over by the local government. Anyway the system was flawed to where even with 5 power stations if one light pole was taken out or one transformer went the whole grid went.
Tree snakes were usually a big problem as they would try to warm themselves against transformers. Well anyway it happened so often that people never complained about it.
So I can see how in the DR where they have never had dependable power it would be not worth worrying about. Those with any power have their own plantas so they do not really care and those that cant afford their own plantas do not have enough understanding to blame anyone other than they rich power companies.
John

Last edited:

maldito

Jun 6, 2004
I been hearing about dominican politics for more than 20 some years.

My dad went through the trujillo era, he grew up wanting to over throw his gov', he even got thrown in jail and almost killed, (but his dad, who is and was back then rich and part of the social structure) got him and his friends out. He and a few tried and did succeed in getting rid of him.

My uncle from my moms side, was a high ranking army official in trujillo's era and balaguer's. He was in the army until a few years ago, teaching special forces units.

And both my dad and uncle were talking about the old days when, things got done. Food was abundant, everyone was eating, no one dared steal anything.

I know that those times weren't a magical time, nor wonderful, but damn the DR gov' has become a "Quitate tu, para poner me yo" or in english "get out, so I can get my turn"

And also Dominicans in DR have a problem and its something that kinda pissed me off. They forget to quickly what mess and thieving the previous gov' left them with.

My girl and I were talking about politics and I asked her what party she belongs to and she says, the white party "Hippo's party". So we get into a conversation and this is how it went

"has he (hippo) performed satisfactory in your eyes?" I asked her
"No, he stoled money, everything went up in price, etc..." she responds
"Are you going to vote for him when the elections arrive" I asked
"No, im going to vote for Eduardo Estrella, he seems like the least likely to cheat and steal" she tells me that.

A few days later, election night we are talking and I bring up the elections. Her vote went to who, thats right you guessed it, HIPPO!!!!! I couldn't believe it. I asked why she say's "I'm a white party member for life@!!!!!"

so there you go!!! they stick with their parties even if it means death.

My grandmother has been a PRDista since she could vote and she is 95 and no one will ever make her change parties, even if the party is full of ladrones!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Most interesting post, maldito

People like you who both learn from the past & can analyse the present, are the countries hope for the future. When are you going into politics?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
mekkizm said:

Mekk.

Well, in my opinion, Hippo is not even a president. He thinks he's a president, but presidents are not traitors. And I do agree with you about he being the biggest liar in the world, no not the world, in all of existence!!!

Well, look at the brightside. Instead of telling your kids about Pinocchio, now you can tell them a true story about the biggest liar to have ever existed!!

I wonder what his parents think of their child, I would be so ashamed that I would move to Russia or some place far far away! Hippo is a disgrace, but I'm happy because everyday that passes is a day closer to the change of power!!

Aaah, the traitor "E Pa Fuera Que Va!"

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
El Belga said:
Hi Mekkizm,

Understand how you feel, you're not the only one.
As an expat, I must say I am quite lucky (I can afford an inversor and will buy a power generator these next days). But I am wondering how people can stand this situation. Should this happen in most of the countries I know, hundred of thousands of the people would be in the street to protest.

It seems that, here, Robbery and treachery is commonly accepted. Do the people understand that this is THEIR country and that the governement steals THEIR money ? It seems like if they did not care. "N'hay luz ? Ha po'ta bien". I am fed up with the dominican fatalism. Dominicans are so fast to react when someone insult them in the street and they let "El Calvo I" do what ever he wants!!!! In any country of the world there would be a coup. Or is there they are so afraid of the army ? According to my wife (she's Dominican) people are frightened and would not dare to do anything. Each time I am angry against these a**holes of the governement and say something, she tells me to hush, as "we never know who could hear me".
Yesterday night, TV entertainer Freddy went mad, saying all what he felt about these people, in a REALLY angry way. He told they just were a pack of thieves that consider the people as if they were sh**. As far as I know, I Think he received a 70,000 RD$ bill from CDE or EDESur !!! I whish more people react the way he did !
I like this guy, he did for Jimani what the government didn't and now he says loud and clear what everyone is thinking.

The truth is that Trujillo's ghost still scares the heck of most Dominicans. It has only been 40-something years since the dictatorship ended, people in general still have some "flashback moments" I guess. Even when I speak with my family over the phone, they prefer to keep it short and not too descriptive. Its just one of those things that haven't left Dominican conscience.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
jsizemore said:
I was stationed in Guam for three years in the 80s. The power system there was originally the Navy's system taken over by the local government. Anyway the system was flawed to where even with 5 power stations if one light pole was taken out or one transformer went the whole grid went.
Tree snakes were usually a big problem as they would try to warm themselves against transformers. Well anyway it happened so often that people never complained about it.
So I can see how in the DR where they have never had dependable power it would be not worth worrying about. Those with any power have their own plantas so they do not really care and those that cant afford their own plantas do not have enough understanding to blame anyone other than they rich power companies.
John

Also don't forget that before the DR democratized (ie. Era de Trujillo) every Dominican household that was connected to the electric grid received stable, 24 hours, absolutely free electricity. In fact, Trujillo was the creator of Empresa Dominicana de Electricidad (EDE). Dominicans got used to free "lu" and no pay. Nowadays, "la lu" is not free but many prefer to not pay. Many can't afford it, but many just don't want to pay it. Some of this burden falls on history and the population. But of course, the current disgusting and shameful government has alot to do with the fact that the electric problem is now along its worst stretches, like everything else under their rule!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Um, Maldito...

why did you chose that rough word as a username?

Now everytime I read someone's response to your comments, I think they are insulting you, then I realize that that is your username.

Just wondering why Maldito! See what I mean and I'm not even angry at you at all!! :cheeky:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
would transparency work

Could the new Government ask for an audit by an outside source and have the result posted and then ask for the same outside source audit them every year and do the same. Would that set up and expectation of transparency in the DR populace.
If the diffrent department heads knew they were going to get audited and the results posted pretty soon it may stop the waste of money.
John