What's Hot! What's Not!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Let's give some of the subjects a try :

These would also come in handy for people bringing gifts from other countries.

1. What's the lastest fashion in clothing for men and women in the DR?

2. Most favored cologne/perfume?

3. Hair products and toiletiers needed that are hard to find in the DR.

4. What are considered good wedding, engagement or baby gifts?

5. What CD's are wanted from North American music?

6. Right now with all the blackouts what kind of batteries are most needed?

If you can think of anything else to add please do so. Even if we don't have a sub forum for this at least we are gathering valuable info

Last edited:

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
Good Topic Anna

How about a thread somewhere for expats or anyone living in the DR to ask for hard to find items? I know I don't mind bringing a few items for people on the North Coast when I visit. Examples... tea bags, books, louisiana hot sauce, sheets. There are a lot of people who would like to have a "comfort" item from home.

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Glad to see the idea take flight! Here is the first of many questions. Would like to obtain some DR music (produced in the DR by DR talent). Would like to get your top three recomendations of musicians in both the bachata and merengue genre. Then where to purchase these CD's in North America.

These will be a gift for my daughter so here's hoping for the great lists to come forward.
Cheers Toby
P.S. Ann will put my thinking cap on for more ideas for the forum!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
toby said:
Would like to obtain some DR music (produced in the DR by DR talent). Would like to get your top three recomendations of musicians in both the bachata and merengue genre. Then where to purchase these CD's in North America.

Toby where in North America are you?

Porthos

May 13, 2004
Questions from 2 to 6 have the same answer: practically the same thing amerincans would use/like/wear/buy. The thing you may find a little different (or maybe way different) is about the clothing issue. I take pride in the fact dominicans in general are among the best dressed in the world, way better than american. Best brand clothing will be received gladly by most dominican guys, but be aware that the style most used here is europe. No baggy shirts and/or pants. We prefer jeans to kakis. Light colors in shirts, which can be plain for the day, or with designs for the night. The collar most used here is open collar, with little to none button down shirts. Some like to use french cuffs shirts, but mostly for more formal ocassions. The striped ties are a mayor hit right now, be it diagonal stripes, vertical or horizontal. The most used brands in general are Versace, armany, replay, levi's, dolce & gabbana, ralph lauren, lacoste, hugo boss, jean paul gaultier, givenchy, carven, oscar de la renta.. etc. A perfume by any of this brands will be ok, too.

The women.. They are a very special case. The fashions for women only last for about two months or so, and when something is ON, everybody and his borther will use it.. girls and women look like they're wearing uniforms, everybody wearing pretty much the same thing. And, when the fashion is over, oh man, the girl spotted wearing the past fashion will be treated like a paria. Women are very picky of their clothes. And, truth be told, I'm not to sure about what's the latest thing they're wearing. The last big thing was the ultra-mini skirt, in every color, shape, fabric, but all of them very small. I'm not sure how long will this last. Other huge things are/were the white pants (not jeans), and the balck pants with white pinstripes. And I have to say, they look extremely beautyful in any of these.