Spanish Class in Puerto Plata ???

jetfuel

Mar 4, 2004
Does anyone knows of a good school or class in Puerto Plata to learn Spanish. I speak English and French but I'm struggling with my poor spanish.

Thanks Everyone :)

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Forget any classes or schools for Spanish because a good one, and that's hard to find, will cost you $10.00 U.S. per hour if not more so get yourself a dominican for 100 Pesos to sit and watch T.V. with for a few hours every week and you'll be talking Dominican in no time.

Note that Spanish and Dominican are not the same.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
Toronto2inDR said:
Note that Spanish and Dominican are not the same.

WOW!!!! I didn't know I spoke "Dominican"......for the past 10 years, I thought I was speaking Spanish. Guess I'll have to learn Mexican and PuertoRican, etc....

At least I can type English.....or is that "United Statesish"

;) ;) ;) ;)

T

TiberiusMineola

Andrea Escuela POP - fine choice!!

Try Andrea Escuela, off 27 Febrero, 2 blocks from Supermercado Tropical; 320 7484; andreamuehl@hotmail.com. Uuslly open days; summer months?? It teaches 3 - 4 languages, including Spanish. Ask for Oriolys, a very good Dominican teacher who also speaks good English. A real school; ie homework, tests. Schedules vary. Cost: @ 100 P / hour, depending on # of students. I disagree with some of my fellow posters. I think that it helps us foreigners to learn CORRECT Spanish languge, usage, & pronunciations [especilly VERBS - the real killer]; Dominican corruptions, slang, laziness, illiteraacy, & idioms will come later & easier. I found it extremely valuable to have a Dominican Spanish teacher who understood & spoke correct & idiomaatic American English. 1 man's opinion. Not much $; not tooo much time.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
A well educated teacher is a must !

Someone learning Spanish in the Dominican Republic just talking to people after some time will be able to understand and to talk the local language but to be well equipped to communicate in other Spanish speaking countries it is indispensable to learn basic grammatical rules. A high percentage of Dominicans because of the lack in education simply do not know good Spanish. For that reason even in practically all Dominican newspapers (most of the journalists are also uneducated in this sense) you will find a lot of grammar mistakes not to talk about orthography. Newspapers published in Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Cuba, Colombia and many more hispanic countries (also third world countries) do have a much higher standard. It makes no sense to learn the Dominican language if you have the chance to learn good Spanish.