Good chicken in Puerto Plata

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Dawnwill and myself had the pleasure to meet "JerryK" that owns Champs Chicken in Puerto Plata yesterday. Great guy with some interesting tales on making it in the chicken business here.

If you looking for good chicken and yummy potato wedges, this is the place to go. The place is always busy with locals, so you know the chicken is good and the prices right!

Location: Plaza Tourisol across from Brugal rum factory on the main road, going into Puerto Plata from Sosua.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I will second that!

Great Chicken, and the Potato Wedges are outa sight....You have to be lucky enough to get the batch as it comes out of the Frier or it sells out fast and its a long wait for the next batch!
But if you don't mind the wait just have a couple of Presidente, its worth the effort.

Gringo

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
oops, I missed this thread

but mmmm, it's true... the chicken is honest to goodness southern fried delicious.

And Jerry's stories are almost as good. :)

btw, one can buy it by the bucket. A wicker basket, red checkered table cloth, bottle of wine, and voila... old fashioned picnic.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
What Happend?

Robert said:
Dawnwill and myself had the pleasure to meet "JerryK" that owns Champs Chicken in Puerto Plata yesterday. Great guy with some interesting tales on making it in the chicken business here.

If you looking for good chicken and yummy potato wedges, this is the place to go. The place is always busy with locals, so you know the chicken is good and the prices right!

Location: Plaza Tourisol across from Brugal rum factory on the main road, going into Puerto Plata from Sosua.

I have been having a double dose of withdrawel, Dr1 was down so I thought I would go over to my favorite Chicken joint, low and behold......Door locked, they bit the bullet I guess?

Anyone know what happend to Champs Chicken?

Gringo

Last edited:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
...........it's been closed

.......for at least 2 months......probabally longer.......We liked it too. Sure beats Pollo Rey downtown.........which incidently, I don't understand how the company (Pollo Rey) allows them to stay open with their name. The other Pollo Rey's (mainly Santo Domingo area) are all in good shape, clean and have good food...........all of which this one lacks.

We do like the chicken at "Pollo Dragon" in La Ragola(sp?) section of POP, but I think they are only open in the evening. It's just take out. I've heard they have another spot near "Moto Facil".