Homestays - Living with a Dominican Family?

rsfl17

Jun 13, 2004
After reading so many posts and helpful answers, I finally have a question to ask! So here goes:

I am looking to come to the DR in October/November and live with a Dominican family, mainly to practice Spanish and learn about the real culture, not what you get at resorts. That being said, I would prefer a safe area where I wouldn't have to worry about my personal safety or the safety of my belongings. Any suggestions or ideas?

About me: I'm a 23 year old male from the U.S., currently living in Santiago, Chile. I'm prettyy fluent in Spanish, about as good as a Gringo can get. :classic:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Look at some of the Spanish Imersian websights. They have those vacations. Also there was request for assistance in Azua on a vulenteer basis. Maybe you could search and contact them. Nothing like living amung the poor and working side by side to show you the ropes.
John

rsfl17

Jun 13, 2004
My search so far.....

Well, I've contacted several language schools and have gotten some less-than helpful replies. Most charge $400/month, but this seems extremely expensive for the DR.

Anyone have any other ideas? I have a Masters Degree in Business and might look into teaching some English or doing some volunteer work as well, if anyone knows any good companies to work with. ;)