wood

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
I need info on a specific wood.

When you take the highway from SD to Azua, after the Cruce de Ocoa, there is a spot where they sell various products, fruits, honey.

They also sell some "pots" of wood, from various thickness and heigths, which are basic wood trunks turned inside, some are almost one foot thick. Nothing very nice.

This is a red wood, somewhat similar to mahogany.

Does somebody know the name of that wood?

Thank you for any info

Barnab?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The wood is called "guayacan" and is very dark & very light, in opposite sides of the same piece of wood.

The objects you saw are called "malteros" and the small versions are used to crush garlic, and every dominicana has one in her kitchen. The large versions seem to be made for tourists, hehe.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Caoba

It actually is probably caoba. And it is either mahogany or teek. I think the former.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
GringoCArlos said:
The wood is called "guayacan" and is very dark & very light, in opposite sides of the same piece of wood.

The objects you saw are called "malteros" and the small versions are used to crush garlic, and every dominicana has one in her kitchen. The large versions seem to be made for tourists, hehe.

Hombre, al tourista no lo gusta el pilon!

You're stronger than me, I felt it was heavy, apparently this wood is lignus vitae, the densest commercial wood, dominican ipe.

Maybe you know if it is available in the Ocoa area?

Thank you , very good info you gave me.

Barnab?

PS: only what worries me is you say it's lightweight, I didn't feel so! I got to take some vitamins.