Exchange Rate: Why so stable??

T

TiberiusMineola

Since the DR election, @ 1 month, the US $ = DR Peso rate has hovered @ 47 - 49 to 1. Why so stable? With an exiting, corrupt & ineffective government & an enterring [hopefully] competent & [reasonably] honest gov't, it seems that the currency should be moving, up or down, in a more dramatic fashiion? What gives? Is the IMF going to come thru, resulting in a stable currency, at @ 45 - 50? Opinions? Comments? Prediction. Thank you. Major future movements? Which wahy? When?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Could it be this government has no intention of paying any creditor anything in the next 2 months (electricity companies, external debt etc etc). Therefore, they are not seeking to buy dollars, thus they are not tweaking the exchange rate?

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
The IMF loans will not magically solve the countries problems. Those loans have to be paid back with interest.

It's like having someone that is around broke, up to his neck in debt, signing up for a platinum card. Ah let the good times roll.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I think we are seeing a "stable" exchange rate, i.e., no tampering. I don't suggest it will stay at this stable level, but I think no-one is messing with it at the moment, while the governmental transition is going on.