brugal to US

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
My friend works at Brugal in SD and I will be speaking to him tonight so I'll ask if he knows anything.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Check your local specialty liquor stores

I found that even in my small town of Battle Creek, I could order Brugal rum (right now it is unavailable). It may not be as unattainable as you think.

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I have found Presidente and Brugal Extra Viejo in Boston's southern suburbs. If you don't find at a your local store request they order some for you. I have done this many times previously and my request has always been fulfilled.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Brugal

I know they sell Brugal in NYC infact on Broadway between 204 and 207th street in Manhattan called J.P. Liquors they sell at wholesale prices but not nessesarily wholesale.

I just dont know if its Extra Viejo.
I'll check tonite and ill have an answer by the end of the day.

jmaz98

Sep 25, 2003
BostonMary said:
I have found Presidente and Brugal Extra Viejo in Boston's southern suburbs. If you don't find at a your local store request they order some for you. I have done this many times previously and my request has always been fulfilled.

I've looked for Extra Viejo in different areas of NYC and was told each time that it wasn't exported to the US. Obviously, they were wrong. :mad:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
so far i have only found anjeo not extra viejo here in NYC. I asked at a liquor store here and he looked up in his suppliers book and it was not listed :(

so i was wondering if there was some legal way to get a few bottles shipped here. I went to the companies web site and i didnt see anything on there.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
well..i FINALY found some here in NYC! SOmeone suggested a certain bodega uptown. My dominican friend went for me (as he lives in washington heights).

I guess the guy was nervous about selling it to him and the store owner explained that selling extra viejo is ILLEGAL here in the US.

WEll...i certainly do not want my friend to get busted buying me a bottle of rum.....but i CANT understand why one cant legaly import it here.

any answers????

jj

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
what about...

How about Brugal Siglo De Oro? Do they really still make it and how much does it cost? I just read that "they're too pricey" on this thread...==>[What happend to Barcelo Imperial? ]<== I thought the "Siglo De Oro" batch ran out a long time ago. Back in the 80's when it first came out in their blue ceramic bottle glory they cost the admission fee of $150 pesos 'cuando lo cuarto eran cuarto' (when Pesos were money). Strickly out of most tigueres drinking options. But I was too young to sit down with the adults to drink this stuff and chitchat around the bottle... Talk about everybody got their cups but they ain't cheap in!. Turn your pages to 2k4 now, as a grown man here with the power to acquire, savor and opine on the great rums that keep many people in DR. This rum is something I would love to try before my #'s up.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
jrzyguy said:
well..i FINALY found some here in NYC! SOmeone suggested a certain bodega uptown. My dominican friend went for me (as he lives in washington heights).

I guess the guy was nervous about selling it to him and the store owner explained that selling extra viejo is ILLEGAL here in the US.

WEll...i certainly do not want my friend to get busted buying me a bottle of rum.....but i CANT understand why one cant legaly import it here.

any answers????

jj

It probably has to do with Brugal still "trying" the American market. Usually, companies that enter overseas markets only list a few (if there are multiple) goods or services for export. Depending on how those do business wise, the other goods or services will be released. Until then, it remains illegal.

Maybe that is what is happening with Brugal. They have not decided to import that type of Brugal and as such its illegal to buy it in American shores. However, it could be that the contents in that Brugal type might have higher alcohol levels or something that would make it against U.S. liquor laws. If the rum doesn't retain its quality under the requirements of the US liquor laws, a respectable and honorable company like Brugal would prefer to NOT import a extra viejo if the quality will be lowered, instead they prefer to import their other kinds. In short, any number of things could be preventing that type of Brugal from being sold in the US, the best bet is to tell people that you know will be visiting the DR to bring you a bottle or two.

BTW, I think that is why Presidentes sold in US are not as good as those sold in DR. Presidentes from DR have high alcohol levels, more than legal for the US as a result they lowered their alcohol content and maybe modified their formula. It caused the quality to fall, but I guess Presidente cares more about its profit than its image and they went forth with this. Unlike Brugal, eventhough as all companies they only care about their profits, but image is important for maintaining profits high.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Thanks for that reply....it really does make sence....i guess. I remember years ago that COORS could not be sold out of the state of colorado.

I guess what does NOT make sence to me is that we are allowed to bring this product back when we visit....yet are not able to order directly thru the company. If it is illegal...should it be illegal period? like say a cuban cigar? Trust me...any time i hear of a co-worker or friend traveling to the DR...i insist they bring me back one large bottle of extra viejo.

I just am sitting here shaking my head at the stupid US laws :)

thanks again

jj :alien: