What types of hardwoods can you buy

americano 1

May 22, 2004
What type of hardwood can one buy in the dr. Is oak available and will hold up in the dr climate. PJ

Prometheus

Jun 12, 2004
americano 1 said:
What type of hardwood can one buy in the dr. Is oak available and will hold up in the dr climate. PJ
Mahogany is very popular and is native to the D.R. Mahogany is called caoba in spanish. Very nice wood for formal dinner tables and the such.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Although mahogany is native to the D.R. it is not what is been used for making furnitures. There is a ban on cutting mahogany trees here, pretty much all wood is imported.

What you can BUY here depends on how much money you are willing to spend. We recently used yatob?, a Brazilian hard wood on some projects at home, it is darn hard and frigging heavy. There are other options, but this one is similarly priced to mahogany, looks very good and it is VERY resistant.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
I have had the entry door of my house made of oak a few years ago. It stands the climate OK, small cracks due I think to improper drying.

I think you might have difficulties to get native mahogany, unless you know somebody.

Barnab?

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
are there any websites for RD lumber wholesalers? i am curious about species available and pricing. i have been looking off and on for the past several years and have yet to find one.

mob