Anybody growing avocado?

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
I don't know if somebody here has some experience in growing avocado and can give some basic info.

This is a preliminary insight as I might buy a few dozens tareas nearby San Cristobal and some people told me to grow aguacates.

Although the land has a slop (deslinde) being in a montaneous area, I see many avocado trees around, so the soil must be OK.

Are there any tree nurseries?
Is it better to grow for local or export market?
What are the varieties suitable?
What are the tree density/tarea?
yield/tree, tarea acre or hectare?
How many years to get a tree yielding?
What are the annual crops that combine well with avocado growing?

I have had some local info (which sounds "too good to be true") and web search, but I would like to get reliable info from people with hands-on experience.

Thank you for any info you might provide,

Barnab?

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I am NOT an expert with Avacados.... but here is the info i have.

fully grown trees need about 30 feet between them.
nurseries do sell seedlings. I have purchased them for as little as 15 pesos a piece.

I sold 2000 last season to a traveling fruit picker from 7 trees at the end of the season. I am sure I could have sold more if I had them picked several times during the season.

I think you might be able to grow cacoa under the trees but I am not sure about that. while the trees are young and small you could intercrop with just about anything i expect...

good luck

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Thank you Shadley for that useful info, I had been told minimum 200 fruits/tree, so you confirmed.

Barnab?

Mephs

Sep 11, 2003
A slope is not a problem, unless it is too steep. I've seen avocados grown in land that was once used for coffee. Don't make assumptions about the soil on the plot you are looking at, since it may be different than the surrounding areas.

I don't know much about varieties grown, but I've seen "polas" (probably pollock) being grown for both domestic and export trade. "Criollos" (local hybrid varieties) sell ok in the local market, and some people prefer their taste over the commercial varieties. Lulas may be another variety being grown, since I kinda remember one farmer that was looking around for seedlings.

As far as other crops being grown along with avocados, I've seen yuca, citrus, plantains... even lumber. I think this is a combination of what was already growing in the farm and what sells well in the off-season rather than science.

You may want to ask around and find out if there are any local cooperativas of avocado farmers. They would are a wealth of information and could help ease into the export market once you have a steady production.

I'm no expert, but I know a few avocado growers in DR. If still want additional information I can send it to you in a few weeks when I go to the island.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Thanks Mephs for the info.

I know I have to go around and ask for info, but I cannot do that before I make the deal with the land owner (well, if I make it) because I am not negotiating in direct to avoid price to skyrocket. "el rubio tiene que estar podrido de cuarto"..

Best,

Barnab?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It may be a long time before you make any money!

I have heard 5 to 8 years before you get fruit production.Planting several varieties will spread out you harvest time.I plant the seeds of any avocado that I eat,and like!I have a tree about 15 feet that I planted about 4 years ago.MOst are still "smaller! :nervous: I would eat "Dog ****" if I could have a "side" of avocado!!!Thy chopping in cubes and putting in your "Sancocho" or "sopa Boba"!!! "MMMMmmmmmmmmm!"CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mephs

Sep 11, 2003
Trees will start bearing fruit sooner than that if you plant grafted trees. It may take that long, though, to have a decent production. Grafting also helps guarantee a consistent product, since trees grown from seeds will not necessarily have the same characteristics of the fruit it came from if different varieties are planted close to each other.

I don't think I would eat dog **** no matter how it was served, but agree 100% with that last sentence. Who would dare serve sancocho without a raja de aguacate?

Barnab?: there are still a few unanswered questions, but don't know how much weight they have on your final decision. PM me if want additional info.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
planting avacados from seed will not give predictable results and it will take several years to find out if you made a mistake. Use grafted stock from a good nursery if you plan to do it as a business

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Thank you for the posts.

I understand I have to use "inyertos" to get a better chance and quicker yield.
I finally found some dominican literature on www.agora.org.do.

I must confess I eat sancocho without aguacate, I only use avocado in my shampoo. If it were for me I would grow chinola and mora.

I really appreciate the help.

Mephs , thanks for your offer, I will contact you if I have questions that make sense.

Barnab?

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
Info from Univ of Calif Cooperative Extension Service

There's a wealth of information about avocado cultivation at this site:

Bear in mind there may be differences between US and DR, but the info should at least help point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Ben

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Advocados

San Cristobal is an ideal Advocado growing region.

Not suitable to grow with Cacao trees. One needs allot of sun the other little. Plant Platanoes or bananas in between in first years.

Grafting best option. Try to establish one main variety. It is also good to include many varieties as you can find. At least one of each. This helps cross polination. The advocado tree?s flowers open and close depending on the variety. Some in the morning and some in the afternoon. A selection of many varieties will ensure better cross polination.

Formation and continued pruning important.

Grafting not a difficult proceedure. Set up your own nursery and graft yourself. Or you can buy them from a producer in Paya, Bani on the highway which is nearish to San Cristobal

Export better option, if you can secure a market. Local market is saturated as it is flooded at the same time every year as all the advocadoes ripen. The secret is to harvest out of season. Most export varieties are Pollock and Booth
If you do get going I know of one of the top exporters to the US. Drop me a line.

ever thought of mangoes? they also do well in that area.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
aguacates a 500 el millar?

sjh said:
small avocados and mid season are almost worthless. I could maybe sell them at 1/2 peso a piece

Well, how comes? the size, the season or the variety?
At this price better try to get some oil out of them?

Barnab?

BTW, shadley, any idea of mature undehusked coconut prices? In San Cristobal I get the price of 5000 for 1000 (800grams) dehusked, but I think fincas must sell quite cheaper given the coprah oil prices?

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
If i had to guess, the size comes first. The small varieties are not well liked. But even then during high season, nobody wants to even bother picking them

large avacado prices went for 600 RD per 100 count to 100 RD per 100 count in a space of two weeks

no idea on coconut prices

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Thanks shadley.

That's a LOW price indeed.. I wonder why there are still people that bother picking up at that price.

Barnab?