Sosua this weekend, a few questions....

tryinginvain

Jun 15, 2004
Hi,

I just booked a last minute trip to Sosua, Casa Marina Reef and I have a couple of question I'm hoping someone can answer.

I'm in Canada. Should I bring $CA or try to change them here? Are the ATM's a good option?

How much are the scooter rentals? I've rented them in Cuba a few times and would like to rent one for a few days to go to Cabarete and just tour around.

What are the best places to meet local women?

Any other tips appreciated.

Thanks,

tryinginvain

tryinginvain

Jun 15, 2004
One more question....

I'm also a certified diver, any recommendations for diving? I'd probably like to go 2-3 times. How much is diving there?

Thanks,

tryinginvain

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
ATM's are an option, but some people get burned. Bring cash, either CAD or USD, USD probably more preferred. Exchange in Sosua for the better rates. Use ATM as back-up.

There are scooters for rent in Sosua, but I wouldn't advise it. Roads suck as does the drivers. Plus, you're on vacation. Let the locals drive. Crack open a cold Presidente and hop in a cab to Cabarete for RD$300 each way.

Or use a "gua-gua," basically, an older, beat-up van used by locals and savvy (cheap like me) tourists that travels the main stretch of the coast or pobre carro (older shared car utilized by locals) for RD$20. Use taxis at night for city-to-city travel, and motoconchos for travel within Sosua. It works out much cheaper, and less of a hassle than renting scooters.

You're in Sosua. Shouldn't be much of a challenge finding "local" women. Depends on your intentions. LOL!!!! Have cash available. Rocky's and his next-door neighbor can give you a start. There's Voodoo Lounge for tourist action. There's D'Classico for local action. There are many other options, such as walking the street and making eye contact with any women out at night, but this is a start. By the way, Rocky's is owned by a really cool Canadian guy.

Cabarete is loaded with kitesurfing/surfing/scuba activities. Sosua does have a diving school on Pedro Clisante. Very reasonably priced. Never took the tour, but they seem to do fairly well.

Hope this helps.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
toneloc24 said:
ATM's are an option, but some people get burned. Bring cash, either CAD or USD, USD probably more preferred. Exchange in Sosua for the better rates. Use ATM as back-up.

There are scooters for rent in Sosua, but I wouldn't advise it. Roads suck as does the drivers. Plus, you're on vacation. Let the locals drive. Crack open a cold Presidente and hop in a cab to Cabarete for RD$300 each way.

Or use a "gua-gua," basically, an older, beat-up van used by locals and savvy (cheap like me) tourists that travels the main stretch of the coast or pobre carro (older shared car utilized by locals) for RD$20. Use taxis at night for city-to-city travel, and motoconchos for travel within Sosua. It works out much cheaper, and less of a hassle than renting scooters.

You're in Sosua. Shouldn't be much of a challenge finding "local" women. Depends on your intentions. LOL!!!! Have cash available. Rocky's and his next-door neighbor can give you a start. There's Voodoo Lounge for tourist action. There's D'Classico for local action. There are many other options, such as walking the street and making eye contact with any women out at night, but this is a start. By the way, Rocky's is owned by a really cool Canadian guy.

Cabarete is loaded with kitesurfing/surfing/scuba activities. Sosua does have a diving school on Pedro Clisante. Very reasonably priced. Never took the tour, but they seem to do fairly well.

Hope this helps.

Just what I was thinking. :cheeky:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Cabarete isn't great for Scuba. Sosua is better. Check Northern Coast Diving on the main Drag Pedro Clisante. Nicest operation in town from the looks of it and knowing people that work there. Say hi to Brad, Carl and all the rest for me.

US dollar rules in the DR.

I am usually at Rockys for breakfast every morning. Just ask for me if you are around.

Escott

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Escott said:
Cabarete isn't great for Scuba. Sosua is better. Check Northern Coast Diving on the main Drag Pedro Clisante. Nicest operation in town from the looks of it and knowing people that work there. Say hi to Brad, Carl and all the rest for me.

US dollar rules in the DR.

I am usually at Rockys for breakfast every morning. Just ask for me if you are around.

Escott

Hogging my computer terminal!

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
this and next weekend

are Rocky's, Voodoo Lounge, and D'Clasicos places were DR1rs hang out?
I'll be in DR starting friday till the 4th of July.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Northern Coast Diving

I also recommend Northern Coast Diving in Sosua. It's a couple of years ago now, but I had great time with them. They go out several times per day, have a lot to offer (wreck dives, deep dives, etc) depending on the experience of the divers.
Have fun!
Bartolomeo

flec

Feb 7, 2004
www.flec.ca
Forget CDN $$$

As a fellow Canadian, I either exchange my money into USD or Euros. Check the DR exchange rates for euros and USD the day before, evaluate against the exchange rates at your bank, and change accordingly. But the CDN $$$ is worthless down there. ATMs definitely as a backup.

In Sosua the girls will be everywhere. Just head to Rocky's and talk to Ted or Marco. They'll give you the down low on the local scene. Plus there's usually even a couple girls in Rocky's itself if Cowgirl next door is not too busy. One problem you might run into is bringing girls back to your hotel. Locals are not allowed in any AI. You can try slipping the night security guard $10, but it probably won't work. Rocky's has cheap rooms your can rent for $15. There's also Hotel Americas I think it's called over by Isla Bonita bar. Around $8-$10 for a room. But these rooms are scummy. At least Rocky's is clean.

Head down to the beach and on the walk down there will be tons of scuba shops. Never rent a car or moto down there. Too much headache between traffic and getting it stolen. Common scam to rent cars to tourists, have it stolen, charge the tourist $500 deductible and send the car to Haiti. If you absolutely need wheels, get a car at the airport. But it'll cost you over USD $50 per day.

Bring your own condoms, bring lots of $1 bills for tipping, and the most fun will be playing with the chicas. Just make sure you negotiate anything beforehand or else you'll be sorry when she's demanding $100 the next morning. And if you don't speak Spanish, try and find some Cdn/American fellows to hang out with, especially if you want to cruise for chicas.

HAVE FUN! You won't want to come bag... as I never do with tears running down the entire flight back.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Rocky said:
Not to worry, Jimmy.
We just put another one in the living room, just for you.
Now I just have to figure out how to use 3 computers at the same time. I like seeing Jimmy whine... Funny how he tries to get into the place before me! I am packing a case of cheese to give him with his whine:)

Escott

Matthijs

Jun 9, 2004
flec said:
As a fellow Canadian, I either exchange my money into USD or Euros. .

Sorry to break into this thread, but does the above mean Euro's are as generally accepted as Dollars? And if you are entering the country you have to buy a touristvisum, can this be done in Euro's as well..

The info about this would help me save moneychanging costs :knockedou as I am from the Netherlands..

Advice aprreciated.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Euros

Hallo Matthijs,

Euros are widely accepted but the exchange rate dominicans apply is not to our advantage.
When I was there last month they gave 48 pesos to the U$ and only 53 to the ? where it should have been something like 57 according to the ?/U$ exchange rate. There is just so much more demand for U$.
Tourist visa have to be paid in U$ (10) as far as I know.
Bart

kymbillie

Jan 30, 2004
Ive been to Casa mariena Reef twice your hotel will be full of beautiful girls from your all american beach babes to your English Roses and Latino ladies, but if you feel that all the hotties in the hotel arnt enough to go Voodoo which is on the way down to Sosua beach. There area also lots of cute guys if you have any female friends going along. You'll have an amazing holiday trust me!
Kim x x x