Help!!: Anyone have connections at Banco Popular?

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
In March of this year, I purchased a piece of equipment for the business from a company with the expectation that it would work as promised. With agreement from the seller, I paid with a post-dated check (two weeks) so that we could have a trial period to assure the equipment worked as promised. Within two days, we realized that it was not sturdy enough for our commerical use and failed to operate without overheating in our application. Repeated calls to the seller were met with "not in the office", " on vacation", etc. Therefore, we contacted Banco Popular, on whose check we paid for the equipment, and put a stop payment order on the check while we continued to try and contact the seller. As the date of the check approached, we verified three times that the stop payment was in place. One time, on the date itself, I went personally to the bank and was assured that the stop payment was in the system and that it could not be cashed. I asked for a written verification of the stop on the check and they would not give me one as they said it was not necessary.
When I checked my account later that week, I found that the check had in fact been cashed. I contacted Popular, they verified that the stop was on the check but that the person who entered it in the system failed to put it into their internal system that the compensation department accesses. They said it was 100% their fault and they would resolve it. They contacted the seller, who refused to refund the money, and in turn Popular said that they will not return my money that I would simply have to accept the loss. I have contacted everyone that I know in Popular but have yet to find anyone who I can talk to about resolving this problem. If this was a few hundred dollar loss, I would simply right it off to experience, but this is more than three thousand dollars loss for me and since even they admit it was their fault, I am compelled to find a solution.
If anyone has a contact for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
If this was a few hundred dollar loss, I would simply right it off to experience,

Why don't you resell the equipment? Then it likely will be just a few hundred dollar loss, and will likely be more use to someone else anyway.

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Problem resolved.

Thank you DR1! After reading my post about the problem that I was having with Banco Popular, Robert and Dolores spoke to Banco Popular about the situation. Shortly afterwards, I was contacted by a Mr. Richard Polanco of Banco Popular to whom I emailed all of the relevant information. He was a very pleasant fellow and he assured me that he would investigate the matter in an effort to resolve the problem. This morning, a Mr. Francisco Ant. Concepcion P., VP of businesses, Cibao region, arrived at my office with a manager from Puerto Plata and a manager from Cabarete. We discussed the case and possible resolutions. We both agreed that a refund from the supplier was the ideal scenario, but as of yet, I had not received a satisfactory response from them. Mr. Concepcion offered to communicate with them and attempt to reach an agreement. I mentioned that I would be willing to take up to a 15% discount on the return, but previously the seller refused to return more than 60%, which I found unacceptable. An hour after the Banco Popular group left, they returned with the good news that after speaking with Mr. Concepcion, the seller agreed to a 15% return charge and would be over this Saturday to pick up the machine. They had accomplished in one hour what I was unable to do in over three very frustrating months!!

In closing, I would like to offer a sincere thank you to Mr. Richard Polanco, Mr. Francisco Ant. Concepcion P., and the managers of Banco Popular for their efforts in resolving this problem. I would like to especially thank Dolores, Robert and DR1 for taking the time and interest in helping me in this matter. Also, I think that we should all offer a collective thank you to Robert & Dolores for making such a valuable resource as DR1.com available.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Great work DR1 !

And its also very nice to see Banco Popular finally starting to respond to these issues.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
I cannot begin to register it in my mind that after persistently confirming and REconfirming that the Stop payment was in place in the system, those idiot data processing employees at the Banco Popular STILL dropped the ball and affected the account holder. The moral of the story is Do Not Open An Account with the Banco Popular in the DR. "UNfriggin' Believable!!"... or should I say " Only in DR!!"

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Great job guys!! This is the best message board ever. Great advice, help and answers to almost everything.

mekk..

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I am glad you were able to resolve this, I have seen situations in the DR several times where post-dating a check did not produce the desired results, kudos to Robert and DR1 for working this out.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That's great news Greg! Dolores did most of the leg work, I just handed her your card :)

Most major business people and embassies/consulates in the DR subscribe to our Daily News or read DR1. We estimate that?s around 3,000+ local decsion makers or 20% of our Daily News subscriber base. This helps us open certain doors and also allows our readers to piggy back on this success.

I urge anyone that has any sort of problem to post it in detail on the board.
You never know who is reading and who might be able to help you.

If it is truly a genuine case, we will do what we can to put it in front of the people that are able to make a decision and help you resolve your problems.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
quejeyoke said:
I cannot begin to register it in my mind that after persistently confirming and REconfirming that the Stop payment was in place in the system, those idiot data processing employees at the Banco Popular STILL dropped the ball and affected the account holder. The moral of the story is Do Not Open An Account with the Banco Popular in the DR. "UNfriggin' Believable!!"... or should I say " Only in DR!!"

I wouldn't say that... At the end of the day it was resolved and Greg now has the names, emails, phones numbers and personally knows the people that can solve any future issues.
This is worth it's weight in gold in the DR and reason alone to continue using Banco Popular.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Robert said:
I wouldn't say that... At the end of the day it was resolved and Greg now has the names, emails, phones numbers and personally knows the people that can solve any future issues.
This is worth it's weight in gold in the DR and reason alone to continue using Banco Popular.
Robert, my friend, let me see if I have this right!

He stops a check because of fraudulent business practices of someone that sells him a machine that is suppose to work for his application and doesn't.

Banco Popular who by the way seems to have many problems in dealing with their problems as was stated on these boards many times. Al from Texas is sitting right across from me now at Rockys having breakfast, posted about ATM problems and their stealing of 55,000 Pesos, another person lost 5k Canadian and another woman I know of lost much money because of their atms.

They tell Coastal to pound salt and he is screwed for the entire 3k.

You hook him up with a bigwig who mitigates the situation and he then only loses $450 US Dollars.

You think he should continue to do business with them so he can now possibly ONLY LOSE 15% of his money on their SCREWUPS because he knows who now to call?

You Brits are a funny people. I would NOT do business with that company or those people you put him onto. A loss of $450 shouldnt have to be tolerated because of their poor business practices and their public relations leaves a lot to be desired.

I have no accounts with them but sign on a couple because of my condo association, but, I have tried and will continue to try to get them moved to another bank. I have had one account opened in another bank already instead of there.

I would suggest that others here take heed to the stories you read on this board. Forwarned is forearmed.

Escott

Last edited:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
For once, (or twice), I totally totally agree with Escott.

The only pat on the back should be Robert and Dolores. Greg still losing $450 is totally unacceptable and I STILL would never do business with Banco Popular.

We even use to use their ATms and exchange dollars there, but on last trip, we didn't go near that place, simply from reading about Banco Popular turning their backs on the ATM frauds.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As neither (JanH/Escott) of you actually do any day to day business or own a business here, it's bit hard for you to actually comment and know what it's like to deal with the banks on a day to day basis.

All the banks are the same, the customer service is 2nd rate. It's not about what you know but who. This is not the USA, things work a little differently here.

I spoke to Greg today and he agreed with me 100%, now he actually has a "real" valuable contact at the bank. Due to this, it's reason enough to keep doing business with Banco Popular.

Whether you agree or not, it makes no difference, that's how it works in the DR.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have done plenty of banking business in the DR. I have used Progresso, Santo Cruz and have dealt with many others. When I do renovations I am constantly using the services of banks. You don't have to be in business in the DR to read this board and form an opinion of their banking practices.

Banco Popular is the KING OF THE ROAD when it comes to screwing people and bad customer service if you read this board. Even if you don't get screwed in the end which I believe Greg from Coastal did, pointing this out to them over and over again will do nothing less than improve their way of doing business by letting them know that what they do is NOT ok.

Why you are saying that this is oke is beyond me. I have no clue why in the world you would even say what you say or defend them. Their business practices and customer relations should NOT be tolerated. In a first world country they would be under investigation and probably put out of business for what goes on there. They have no right to NOT BE RESPONSIBLE.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Escott said:
I have done plenty of banking business in the DR. I have used Progresso, Santo Cruz and have dealt with many others. When I do renovations I am constantly using the services of banks. You don't have to be in business in the DR to read this board and form an opinion of their banking practices.

Banco Popular is the KING OF THE ROAD when it comes to screwing people and bad customer service if you read this board. Even if you don't get screwed in the end which I believe Greg from Coastal did, pointing this out to them over and over again will do nothing less than improve their way of doing business by letting them know that what they do is NOT ok.

Why you are saying that this is oke is beyond me. I have no clue why in the world you would even say what you say or defend them. Their business practices and customer relations should NOT be tolerated. In a first world country they would be under investigation and probably put out of business for what goes on there. They have no right to NOT BE RESPONSIBLE.

I'm not defending them, the screwed up, we all know that.
I have already said that customer service is 2nd rate here.

Who am I defending?

I'm pointing out that it's important to have a good contact at the bank.
This alone is reason to do business with that bank, whether it be Banco Leon, Banco Popular, whoever. We all know what it's like to do business here and your reference to the USA has no merit. We live, work and do business in the DR, not the USA.

At the end of the day, the bank moved and did something.
At the end of the day, Greg was pleased at the out come.
At the end of the day, Greg now has some valuable "first name" contacts at the bank.

For the first time since I have been here, a bank got off their backside and did something. I know you'll never see it like that Scott, but then again I understand why. You have no experience at running a "real" business here and dealing with all the day to day BS. If you want to do business here, and I mean day to day, employees, clients, customers, billing, inventory, invoicing, credit etc etc, you have to leave the "New York" or first world attitude at immigration, because it opens no doors and just causes more problems.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Robert said:
If you want to do business here, and I mean day to day, employees, clients, customers, billing, inventory, invoicing, credit etc etc, you have to leave the "New York" or first world attitude at immigration, because it opens no doors and just causes more problems.

Somehow this is so true - and not only for Escott, or New Yorkers or anyone specific, but for all of us. The service levels from banks and all other support structures are quite horrendous. The only way to cut through it, is to have those all-important contacts - and not to pay a penny until one is satisfied. These days I feel like scrooge, 'cause I simply do not pay, until I have what I bought - service, product or otherwise, at the correct service level - from Dominicans, Gringo/a's or anyone else. And something else has changed for me during my business experience in the DR - I've stopped caring what others say.

I used to be of the opinion that a little money oils the wheels. Here in the DR, a little money simply ensures that you become an easy mark for a little more money. The wheels don't ever really get oiled, unless you have contacts or in this case, Robert and Dolores and the clout of DR1 oiled the wheels.

Greg did not need to lose anything - but, here in the DR, you sometimes cut your losses and move on. In this instance, he lost very little and the situation was resolved. One can spend hours, days, weeks and months on an issue like this, and never get it resolved. So, in this instance, I believe it was a good outcome. Was it a fair outcome? no, but it was a good outcome for the Dominican Republic. I really think it was. Greg can now move on with his business and this distraction is out of his life.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I totally agree that good contacts are a MUST

The other thing which is important is longevity of contact. During all the rumours about Banco Mercantil last year, I never switched banks, because my local Mercantil branch has given me good service over 10 years plus. I've never had a problem in seeing the Manager, & she has always been unfailingly helpful. During the dollar "shortage" they got me what I wanted, even though we had to count it in the vault area, so that no one else could see! With my bank in the uk, on the other hand, I kept being offered minions instead of the Manager as requested.......well that was until I reported them to the banking Ombudsman.....I don't have a problem now!

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
Congratulations

It's great how this turned out. Congratulations to DR1 for using your considerable influence to solve this problem.