Blackout record!!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am proud to report that my neighborhood won the longest blackout in 24 hrs period time frame in santiago.
21 hours without lights in my area.
Folks even if you think you are looking at apartments in a nicer residential area, make sure you find out if your circuit is not connected with a poor area. It so happens, I live in a nice area but my circuit is also connected to "buena vista" area. Many people in that area steal electric and haven't paid electric in many years. So when there is a shortage of electrical production, guess who gets the blackout first? You guessed it, the folks who steal. So naturally they get longest blackout in the city. Guess what? I pay alot for my electric but I am connected to the same grid. I get screwed along with the bastards who steal.
Finally I have electric but I don't know how long it will last.
AZB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Hehehehe!!!

AZB said:
I am proud to report that my neighborhood won the longest blackout in 24 hrs period time frame in santiago.
Finally I have electric but I don't know how long it will last.
AZB
I guess that it did not last too long since you got kicked out of the chat room, hehe

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It's getting worse in Puerto Plata, too, AZB. Yesterday we had 1 hour 50 mins. of power & it has returned now, which accounts for me being on the computer at this ridiculously early hour!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
AZB said:

Congratulations, AZB! :)

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Quick question on blackouts there

I see much on this board referring to blackouts in the greater Santo Domingo and Santiago areas. Do these blackouts affect in the downtown districts of each city as well? Or are they primarily in the residential areas?

Also, has Sosua and Cabarete been affected as severely as these other areas? I'm just trying to get a sense of this.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Here in Zona Colonial

Power isn't good here nd usually we don't have big problems. Its usually out afor about 10 to 12 hours at a time. Some days its on all day and others no good.

I wonder why they don't make it like 3 to 4 hours on and the same off. This way people won't lose food and such. But then That would be too nice for them todo that. I'm even worried about eating in some resturnats cause who knows if they kept their food cold or if its going to be tainted. Even the beer, in the last few eeks I've had a few bottles of skunk beer I had to return from getting hot then cold then hot again.

Hate when they mess with my beer. This has to stop

Karl

Jan 1, 2002
Unreal...

21st Century and still only getting power 3-4 hrs a day. I dont know how you guys put up with this.

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
FWIW

We have been been averaging 20+ hours of electricity daily. I am looking right now at a FULL inversor.

Don't worry AZB when we see you tomorrow we will have ice cold beer and a cousin if you are good :)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
toneloc24 said:
I see much on this board referring to blackouts in the greater Santo Domingo and Santiago areas. Do these blackouts affect in the downtown districts of each city as well? Or are they primarily in the residential areas?

Also, has Sosua and Cabarete been affected as severely as these other areas? I'm just trying to get a sense of this.
In Sosua I never know if there is power or not when I am home. I run my a/c 24/7 if that is what I want. At night you can tell if there is NO power because the street lights are out but I can't tell in my condo.

Scott

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
toneloc24 said:
Sosua is just as bad. I estimate 4hours of electricity daily.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Organizing the blackouts

Organizing the blackouts like Jan suggested would certainly reduce chaos for everyone.
I was in Havana, Cuba, a couple of years ago and Cubans suffer from the same 'se fue la luz' phenomenon. But there they made it an 'organized' problem: every barrio of Havana knows exactly which day of the week they will be without electricity and people can prepare for it. Maybe Leonel should go and see Fidel on his pre-inaugural tour of the Americas. Organizing the blackouts in this way might assure the new president of some popularity because also he won't be able to perform 'power' miracles.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Pot of gold..

gerd said:
Sosua is just as bad. I estimate 4hours of electricity daily.
We hit the jackpot. We've had 6 1/2 hours today and, who knows, maybe we'll get a bit more before the day ends.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Was there some kind of strike/demonstration in Sosua in the middle of the night last night (due to the blackouts)?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Strikes

Chris_NJ said:
Was there some kind of strike/demonstration in Sosua in the middle of the night last night (due to the blackouts)?
Yeah ! In protest to the power outages and my batteries running low, I slept in my generator powered condo with the AC on all night.
Felt like a popsicle when I woke up, but it was worth it.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Selfish question, I guess?

Do I need to bring my flashlight with me there in 2 weeks, along with back-up D batteries? Are there street lights?

And how have you guys been handle those inevitable questions from the chicas "Is that a flashlight in your pocket, or.....???"

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Flashlight

toneloc24 said:
Do I need to bring my flashlight with me there in 2 weeks, along with back-up D batteries? Are there street lights?
Actually, a flashlight wouldn't be a bad idea to have, as the street lights do go out during the outages, but perhaps you could get a smaller one that a size D battery model.

toneloc24 said:
And how have you guys been handle those inevitable questions from the chicas "Is that a flashlight in your pocket, or.....???"
If you stick with your jumbo D flashlight, you can answer "yes" with pride.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
toneloc24 said:

Just don't carry a AAA Penlight in your pocket!!! :cross-eye

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Can't complain....

When reading the horror stories of 21 hour blackouts in some parts of the country, I can't complain when we have a cycle of 6-8 hours of 'no luz' then 4-6 hours of 'luz' here in Mirador Norte, S.D.

The new 3.6kW inverter and the 8 batteries are working just fine. It takes approx. 2 hours to charge the batteries after each blackout so we haven't been without 'luz' yet.
The only thing that let's me know we're without 'luz de la calle' is the fans starting to buzz a little and the tv-cable box shuts of and I have to switch it on again. Pheew, tough day.....

Although it's bad right now, afterall it isn't Monrovia (yet!). I was in Monrovia two months after the civil war ended last year (I know, it'll probably never end) and they had lights on the main street for the first time in 14 years. Now that's what I call a blackout!

Cheers,
Bok

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
Food

How do the restaurants keep their food safe? I can't imagine a lot of the smaller restaurants have back-up power.

MCM