Tattoos In Dr.

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Hey all, like some of you may or may not already know(from some of my questions) I comming down to the DR. in a few weeks.

Anyway, My aunt made a comment to me yesterday about my tattoos. She said that people were going to look at me like if I were crazy and that the police may hasle me because I look like a "tigere".

Firts off let me say that I in no way look like a hood or "tigere", I have a few tattoos on my arms but I dress pretty normal don't have any peircings or wild hair or anything like that. I just have a few tattos!! But to my 58 year old aunt thinks I look like a tigere.

Can anyone tell me if youv'e heard of anyone being hassled by the cops or looked upon as a tigere because of his (hers) tattoos? Whats the general view on tattoos in the DR?

Mekk.....

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
You're good to go! How you act and how you dress determines harassment threshold with the policia, not the # of tattoos.
In POP I'm surprised at the number of chicas that have them, but normally covered up.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Jerry K said:
You're good to go! How you act and how you dress determines harassment threshold with the policia, not the # of tattoos.
In POP I'm surprised at the number of chicas that have them, but normally covered up.
If they are covered up then how would you know???? Ahem....

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know if it is the same for guys and gals but my best friend (female) is adorned with many tattoos and visits Sos?a every few months. The only problem is that she is constantly stopped and questioned about her tattoos by curious people which makes it hard to get anywhere in a hurry. People are a bit facinated and like to ask questions about them such as what they symbolize or if they hurt when they were done, and a how much they cost. Also, people will stop her just to show their tattoos to her. (This is how we met Johnny Honda.) One time an older Dominican man told her she was going to hell but that was the only bad thing that happened. She had no problems with the police or anyone else so I don't think you will have any problems.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I don't see a problem

I have two HUGE tatoos on both my arms. The only thing people do when I'm there is stare. And sometimes they ask me what they mean.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
It all depends where in the DR.
Sosua, Punta Cana or any other Tourist area and you will be fine.
In the Capital you are pretty much a "Tigre" if your a guy or a "Puta" if your female.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Tony C said:
It all depends where in the DR.
Sosua, Punta Cana or any other Tourist area and you will be fine.
In the Capital you are pretty much a "Tigre" if your a guy or a "Puta" if your female.

Tony, you stole my reply!

Merk, if you were going to the capital or a barrio, you would be considered a Thug (and unfortunately they will think that all your money is drug related or something) if you were a woman, you would be considered a whore and a low person that is probably making her money dancing or something (wink).

Like I stated, it is unfortunate but it is closed-minded point of view. Many older folks in DR are still very old fashioned and new trends are not welcomed. This includes (sometimes) braids, exotic hairstyles, short hairstyles (more for women - shaved napes) piercings, and of course tattoos.

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Tony C. and Tall Drink,

Absolutely true.

But mekkizm,

When getting a tatoo you should ready yourself for other's people's views about you. Even here in America where it is more popular I get looks from other people. Do I care what they think??? NO!!! hehehehehe

In my hometown (in the d.r.) I have been labeled a Tiguere and a Satanist (because I listen to Metal) amongs other things. My family and people I consider my friends know that is not true. That is all I care about. :laugh:

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Don't go looking for jobs in the DR with those tats showing...Same thing happens with guys with long hair or pony tails, rasta afros, etc...but i think all those prejudices that have been present in the DR society for ages are just part of all those "rare" qualitities that this caribbean nation has to offer, because in the end anything different attracts attention.

I am particulary prejudiced (as many dominicans) against women. Personally if i see a girl with a bracelet in one of her ankles i have 90% of confidence that she might be either fond of indiscriminated sex or could even sell herself for good money.

URock

Feb 10, 2003
Ankle bracelets..............

Oche said:
I am particulary prejudiced (as many dominicans) against women. Personally if i see a girl with a bracelet in one of her ankles i have 90% of confidence that she might be either fond of indiscriminated sex or could even sell herself for good money.

Wow.......if you were in Canada, you would think that ALL the women are in the "trade". Very common for ankle bracelets up here. Funny how the different cultures think. :classic:

ETA Just read your post again........ did you mean a tattoo of a bracelet?

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Oche, Dominican men that live in DR are prejudiced against women's looks as well. They like the long flowing hair (thus the prices of beauty products and the famous dubies with anchoas all day) they love a feminine body and skin tight clothes. I remember when the tom-boy look was in back in the nineties, the girls that came from the NY area would try to wear these manly jeans and look "a lo joe" they hated that look in DR. They used to call them lesbians over there!