Post Thanks / Like

Wink The benefits of being bi

Down, AZB! Look closely and you will notice that this isn't the Mars and Venus forum so I'm not really referring to bi-sexuality.

The topic of this post is bilingualism. This article got me thinking about some of us here who live in the DR or visit it frequently without having learned some or any Spanish. It seems that as well as the practical commonsense benefits of speaking the language, it is also beneficial to be bi-lingual for health reasons.

What's more, the sidebar contains links to earlier articles citing research that suggests that singing and dancing has similar effects. If you believe that, you can now sing along to your bachata CDs with a clear conscience and dance around your handbags to a long and lucid life.

Chiri

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This study is a joke

Quote from article:

Half of the volunteers came from Canada and spoke only English. The other half came from India and were fluent in both English and Tamil.
    There are too many differences in the groups to claim it was bilingualism alone.

The Way Life Should Be...
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard this reportg on the radio. Pretty cool. My grandfather died with ALzheimer's; he neither danced, palyed an instrument or spoke another language. However, my sister-in-law works in a French alzheimer's ward here in Maine. There are a lot of bilingual patients.

I am most worried about alzheimer's.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean that my usual forgetfulness and absent-mindedness is not senility? That's good news!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockkon
    Quote from article:

There are too many differences in the groups to claim it was bilingualism alone.

Strange why they didn't have both groups of volunteers come from the same background/nationality/language, etc. especially since it would be easier to do the research if all volunteers are from same pool.

Almost sounds like they picked a certain volunteer pool in order to confirm the findings they wanted to find.