Fishing in La Romana

Speed

May 29, 2003
Going down for Thanksgiving. Anyone know of inexpensive Charter boat in La Romana area for some deep sea fishing. Also good places for surf, shore or bridge fishing around the area?

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Go to Central Romana (the sugar mill community), walk down to the "rocks" and fish from there. The water is about 30 feet deep right off the shore. It has been a while since I have been there, but last time, we chartered a boat to take us to Catalina Island for some diving and spear fishing. Others will know more...

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Speed said:
Going down for Thanksgiving. Anyone know of inexpensive Charter boat in La Romana area for some deep sea fishing. Also good places for surf, shore or bridge fishing around the area?

Sabalo and other frying-pan-sized fish can be hooked off the rocks in La Costa (the residential part of the CR) like AtlantaBob suggested.

For going out to sea, the large tourist cruisers now occupy the space where most small charter boats used to be near the river's mouth. A few meters upriver from there is the Club de Caza y Pesca. Its a small local marina and private club on the eastern shore of the R?o Dulce, in Buena Vista. They would know best about fishing in the area and during that season. Some independent sportsfishing charter outfits operate from the CCYP pier. Fuel costs are presently very high and bargains I'm sure will be difficult to find. There are some small outboard-powered boats and the larger sportfishing Bertram's et al. I don't know who your specific contact should be there, but the commodore of the club is Mr. Fernando Flaquer of La Romana.

Fishing around LR and Catalina island is not as promising as Boca de Yuma or Cabeza de Toro, but yellowfish tuna, mahi-mahi, and wahoos are possible. Sailfish and the occassional marlin might bite, but I think they are out there in the late Winter and early Spring months. I've gone out on private boats a couple of times from there, with no great luck in catching anything worth writing home about.

good luck with your fishing,

- Tordok

Club De Caza y Pesca Romana Inc
Los Pinos 2
La Romana
(809) 550-9009