Your contribution to "la Rep?blica Dominicana"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
La RD or the DR is a wonderful country, we all know that but I am curious if there are TWO aspects that you can change or improve what would they be?

My improvements would be:

1) "los apagones"- la RD would have light 24/7.

2) I would give some serious funding to the educational system.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I would give some serious funding to the educational system.

For a long time I thought this too. I don't anymore.

I have been reading about the founding of the US, including the biographies of Ben Franklin and John Adams. What I notice is that way back then, the founding fathers of the US felt that the education of all classes of society was extremely important.

I think that is a real contrast to today's DR; I don't sense the same sentiment. I feel here that the "high class" almost has a vested interest in keeping the lower classes uneducated, and certainly don't really pay much attention to them. People here don't worry about "society" in the same way that the framers of the US consititution did.

Therefore I would not fund the educational system here, because I believe the change needs to come from within.

My changes:

- that the "high class" of the DR realise that its in the best interest of a stable democracy for the entire country to be properly educated

- for education to truly become a government and DR private sector priority

From this everything else will eventually work itself out; the power, stability, finances, etc.

URock

Feb 10, 2003
How about.......

1. Get a handle on the garbage issue. Place it in the bin.......if there are any!

2. A little bit of control with respect to the driving. Man, there's people darting in and out of everywhere!

ahhhh.........pipe dreams! :) :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I would like to:

1) Pay off the national debt

2) Add to the constitution the demand for political parties to pay whatever debt THEY picked up during their rule and for them to pay it back EVEN if they are out of power.

3) More funding for Education Awareness is more my thing. There are many bright kids that have done extremely well in the public schools of the DR lately. If they can do it with the little funding there is, every other kid can do it too. All they need is determination and a vision. Increasing the awareness of the good things that comes out of an education in the long run (ie. more money) to parents would be a start. If parents don't change their habits, then make it a law for all kids to attend school and for all Dominican citizens that would be hired after the law is passed, must show proof of a High School diploma- even if its a meagre job! Violation would imply extremely severe punishment.

4) Anti-illegal emigration campaign. Buy a bunch of trucks, put large screen tvs on the back. The trucks will tour every single municipality, it will locate it self in the local baseball field and for one night, offer free food, drinks and activities (carnival like), but first run a video where local residents would see the dangers of taking a Yola to Puerto Rico, going with a false visa to the US, etc. The video should consist of graphic dramatizations of possible negative scenarios (such as a group of dominicans on a yola being over turned by high waves and then different bodies being eaten by sharks, or the headache that an illegal immigrant faces if caught in the US prior to deportation, and then some testimonies from people that have either survived an ordeal like that or a person that knew someone that died trying to reach PR or something. The entire purpose is to make people think twice before they do something silly as buying a fake visa and heading for NY.

5) Make every proprietor responsible for maintaining the stretch of sidewalk and/or road that is directly in front of his/her property clean of litter and in good shape. Not complying with this could result in warnings, fines, even jail time and confiscation of property. This is a little something for cleaning up the country. This should also apply to residences, commercial, and industrial buildings as well.

6) Require every Dominican business to have a Dominican flag or Dominican coat of arms visible to the public on the outside of their property. Also, every residence and industrial building must have a Dominican Flag or Dominican coat of arm either on a pole or hanging above the marquesina or from a window or on the front door. The purpose of this is to create more love for the country which should make people think twice before they throw garbage onto the land, etc. Also, every building (private or public) should have on the front door imprinted the slogan"Hoy yo voy a soportar a mi patria con mi sudor, con mi alegria, con mi buen comportamiento ciudadano como Duarte, Sanchez, y Mella los Sonaron". Again, to keep people working hard for a better tomorrow in he island.

7) For aesthetic beauty sake, there should be an ordinace nationwide prohibiting structures to remain unpainted for more than 6 months. Also, every tin roof must be painted either Red, Blue, Pink, Gray, or Purple before the tin begins to corode and look ugly. Also, every residential home would be required to have flower pots (the types that hand from the window or the types that you can put on a hanger on the "Galeria") with flowers. Failure to comply with this ordinance should result in warnings, fines, and if it becomes a repeat offendor even (yes) severe punishment such as jail time (max. 3 months) and/or confiscation of property.

These are a few things that would make the DR a much more pleasant place, much more intelligent, and better prepare for future development. Since most of these duties are quite simple to follow and they have hefty punishment, most people would simply carry on with these ordinances resulting in a Dominican Republic educating its future leaders, beautifying its public spaces, and more patriotism and love for the country - which should result in less brain drain, I would think.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
JimB said:
6 - How does forcing people to display a flag or coat of arms under threat of imprisonment encourage people to love that which is doing the coercing? What about people who are from another country, can thay fly their own flag? Or would you fine or jail them for that too?

My Grandfather told me of a time in Germany when the Nazis made everyone display a Party Flag at their homes. He was called up to a tribunal because his was "not big enough" (he was NOT a sympathizer of the party). Had his boss not stated that my grandfathers tool and die skills were invaluable to the factory he worked at, he would have been imprisoned or sent out of Berlin.

You can not force someone to be patriotic and love their country, that must come from within due to respect and admiration for the ideals that the country portrays to the world and the individuals who reside therein.

7 - What if someone wanted to paint their roof green or brown? Would you throw them in jail? What if they are too poor to afford the paint? Who will pay for all the plants and pots? What if they do not have a green thumb and the plants die? Who will pay for the legions of officers required to enforce these new dictatorial decrees that invade the freedoms of individuals to do as they see fit?

While you make some valid suggestions in your first few points, these last two are untennable. Forcing people to comply with your utopian ideals will only backfire and result in the exact oposite of what you intend.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things
JimB

Oh, I see what you are saying. For point 6 its just meant as a psychological thing. You know, when a person sees something for a long time, it tends to get inbedded in their conscience. If a person see's Dominican flags and/or coat of arms (which by the way are visually beautiful), the person with time would feel a sense of joy for being Dominican. I personally think that most people would not mind putting up a Dominican flag, especially if they are Dominican. It doesn't hurt and it is the flag of the country they live in. I see what you are saying about the foreigners, but they can put the Dominican and their own if they like. This is just to remind people that they also are part of the DR, that everything that the DR is is not just due to the Government, but also due to what the people perceive of and allow the government to do, not to mention how the people contribute to make their own lives better. Since these symbols are symbols of the country entirely, I cannot equate it with what the Nazi's did since that was a political group symbol. I just don't see why a Dominican and a foreigner would refuse to put up a Dominican flag on Dominican soil. The people that don't like the DR simply don't go there or try to leave (most are forced to leave due to economic reasons, but some leave because they simply don't like the DR despite being Dominicans). It's really nothing to sweat about. It doesn't take much to put up a flag to comply with the law. It's kind of like paying taxes. A person should be allow to not pay his taxes to an administration that he/she doesn't believe is doing what's in the best interest of the country. Of course, stop paying your taxes and (in the US and some areas of the DR) the tax man will be knocking on your door, regardless what your opinion about the administration is. Its no beggie, just pay the taxes and that is something most people do regardless if they love or hate the ruling party.

Point 7 is again, just something to beautify the country and make people feel that much more proud of who they are and where they are from. Many people pride themselves of their country based on many things, including visual beauty. Although, the DR has tremendous natural beauty people see that as a lucky attribute since there is not much man can do to create that. However, man made or man modified places like cities and towns beauty is in direct response to what man does there and that is the beauty that people tend to conjure pride within themselves. The painting of the roof is simply just that, it really doesn't matter what color it is, the colors I suggested were examples. If they are too poor to afford the paint or to maintain the garden there should be government incentives to help them meet their obligation. Keeping the DR clean and beautiful at all times is essential for the further development of the #1 industry in the country, tourism. I don't look at these as dictatorial decrees and the same police guards on duty would be in charge of making sure these rules are met.

Again, I don't think these are dictatorial decrees at all. The US government requires all motorist to cary at least the most basic insurance on their motor vehicle and everyone must comply by law with this. Why? To protect the other person or yourself in case of an accident. So in a way, by the US government forcing its citizens to comply with that law they are actually helping Americans be much more safer when it comes to their wallets in an accident. The samething can be said of what I proposed above. The DR's number 1 industry is tourism. If the DR keeps its streets with litter, the many ugly buildings that all they need is a good coat of paint to be beautiful, and the overall dullness of many neighborhoods, the DR might not grow into the Touristic place that would benefit the population because most tourist will stay where the flowers are, where the colors are, where the litter is not and that is within the compounds of an all-inclusive. By the Dominican government imposing these rules the DR government would actually be helping its citizens secure the further development of its economy in the long run. Its a little bit the population gives to create big returns for themselves in the future. Cleaner and much more beautiful cities will entice more and more foreigners to venture out. The foreigners won't need to go to DR1 and be told to venture out. They will themselves get that feeling once they see that the DR is nice and beautiful inside the hotels as well as in the towns and cities. As a response, the Dollars will be spread into many colmados, ferreterias, cafeterias, and carros publicos that normally don't benefit much from the tourist trade.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
JimB said:
Nal0whs,

While your ideas have merit, I do not agree with the forced implementation of them. Perhaps another option would be to provide incentives for people to do so on their own accord. A few years ago in Canada, the government under direction of Sheila Copps, offered free Canadian flags to anyone who requested them. (I got 2) If someone told me I HAD to fly a flag, and I HAD to have a flower box, or risk fine or imprisonment I would be resentful of the invasion of my rights and freedoms.

Comparing mandatory auto insurance to your proposed flag law does not equate, different things all together. I also do not see how seeing a flag would instill joy at being Dominican. Should that not come naturally? If anything, education programs that instill national pride would be the way to go, not draconian laws forcing people to make changes to their private property or face imprisonment.

Don't sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things
JimB

Again, I see what you are trying to tell me.

However, on your first paragraph I notice that you do seem to have a disagreement on the way it ought to be implemented. This is just something that will or might not (we never know how Dominicans would react, look how relatively passive they were during Hippos reign, a time where being passive was not really what most people had in mind, but that is what happened) but eventually it will become something almost second nature, you know something that people do well, just because. Its kind of hard for me to realize that if you see something long enough, eventually in a subconscience level it does begin to affect your way of thought. You being from Canada know that in Canada there is much more display of Canadian flags than in the US with their flag (though there has been more after 9/11 I'm sure). I wonder if you have ever wondered on your own if the presence of Canadian flags in many areas (both public and private) has an impact on what Canadians think of their country, their country's symbols, etc. It does. There is a big difference crossing a lonesome bridge in the backwoods of Canada and then crossing the bridge the goes over the ST. Lawrence river into the US near Niagaras Falls, a bridge that is bounded on both sides with Canadian flags on the Canadian side of the border. It makes people feel good, it makes people feel great and with that feeling comes better actions from them towards society. If free flags would be offered in the DR, there won't probably be much response (except during festivities) because people are much more worried about their personal economics than picking up a flag and waving it or something. If they have to get the flag, then they will go and get it along with worry about their economic situation. Patriotism is something that has to be created, its not something that just comes out. Many times people base their patriotism based on the power of their country, on the economic power, on the beauty, etc. Sometimes people lose hope and all that they need for a booster in patriotism is to see that beautiful flag waving in the air, seeing that beautiful Dominican flag in perfect conditions waving in the gentle Caribbean wind with the palm trees waving their fronds in the background. The DR is also a country filled with people that don't tend to retaliate too much against the powers. They do protest and stuff, but they don't try to go overboard. A good example of that is the Hippo ordeal, a coup would have been inevitable elsewhere, but here in the DR everything went as smooth as cheesecake, despite the rocky government. Make the rules and implement it and then after a few years, make it an option for people to do such thing.

For your second point, I was not comparing auto insurance to the flag deal, I was comparing auto insurance to the beautifation deal, which was meant to show that by imposing those beautification deals the Dominican people would be "forced" to invest a little to get big returns in the form of economic vitality coming from tourist leaving the resorts.

The flag deal was compared to paying taxes. Its something that people has to do for the well being of the country. Patriotism is good for the survival of the country, if patriotism dies, the country will also die and be absorbed into another one. The flag deal is something that must be implemented.

This is one of those points where you and I would probably not agree too much on. So, for the sake of not high jacking this thread into our own debating thread (as has happened in many other threads with myselfs and others), I'll let you express you opinion and only if I feel that I did not made my case clear enough, I'll respond. Otherwise, you'll have the final word on this.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
A good article in el Listin Diario on education in the DR

Adrian,

This is a very interesting view point however, the US and the DR have different political and social concepts. Therefore, what happened in the US historically in terms of education may never happen in the Dominican Republic.

I think there is an immediate need for a facelift which may be considered by some as a bandaid solution but it is needed because the educational system is outdated and it's outdated due to lack of $$$. I don't know if you are Spanish speaking but there was an excellent article in el Listin Diario, Junio 15, 2004 edition about a need to revamp the educational system in the country which included even changing the mind set of the teachers. The article is titled: Hacia una educaci?n actualizada in "La vida" section.

Nal0whs,

Did you read the article in el Listin Diario that I mentioned above?

Echa un vistazo si puedes y dime lo que piensas. A mi me parece que es un comienzo no en cuanto a la falta de dinero sino en cuanto a la necesidad de llevar a cabo un cambio.

Lesley D

adrianb said:
For a long time I thought this too. I don't anymore.

I have been reading about the founding of the US, including the biographies of Ben Franklin and John Adams. What I notice is that way back then, the founding fathers of the US felt that the education of all classes of society was extremely important.

I think that is a real contrast to today's DR; I don't sense the same sentiment. I feel here that the "high class" almost has a vested interest in keeping the lower classes uneducated, and certainly don't really pay much attention to them. People here don't worry about "society" in the same way that the framers of the US consititution did.

Therefore I would not fund the educational system here, because I believe the change needs to come from within.

My changes:

- that the "high class" of the DR realise that its in the best interest of a stable democracy for the entire country to be properly educated

- for education to truly become a government and DR private sector priority

From this everything else will eventually work itself out; the power, stability, finances, etc.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Nal0whs said:
I would like to:

1) Pay off the national debt

2) Add to the constitution the demand for political parties to pay whatever debt THEY picked up during their rule and for them to pay it back EVEN if they are out of power.

3) More funding for Education Awareness is more my thing. There are many bright kids that have done extremely well in the public schools of the DR lately. If they can do it with the little funding there is, every other kid can do it too. All they need is determination and a vision. Increasing the awareness of the good things that comes out of an education in the long run (ie. more money) to parents would be a start. If parents don't change their habits, then make it a law for all kids to attend school and for all Dominican citizens that would be hired after the law is passed, must show proof of a High School diploma- even if its a meagre job! Violation would imply extremely severe punishment.

4) Anti-illegal emigration campaign. Buy a bunch of trucks, put large screen tvs on the back. The trucks will tour every single municipality, it will locate it self in the local baseball field and for one night, offer free food, drinks and activities (carnival like), but first run a video where local residents would see the dangers of taking a Yola to Puerto Rico, going with a false visa to the US, etc. The video should consist of graphic dramatizations of possible negative scenarios (such as a group of dominicans on a yola being over turned by high waves and then different bodies being eaten by sharks, or the headache that an illegal immigrant faces if caught in the US prior to deportation, and then some testimonies from people that have either survived an ordeal like that or a person that knew someone that died trying to reach PR or something. The entire purpose is to make people think twice before they do something silly as buying a fake visa and heading for NY.

5) Make every proprietor responsible for maintaining the stretch of sidewalk and/or road that is directly in front of his/her property clean of litter and in good shape. Not complying with this could result in warnings, fines, even jail time and confiscation of property. This is a little something for cleaning up the country. This should also apply to residences, commercial, and industrial buildings as well.

6) Require every Dominican business to have a Dominican flag or Dominican coat of arms visible to the public on the outside of their property. Also, every residence and industrial building must have a Dominican Flag or Dominican coat of arm either on a pole or hanging above the marquesina or from a window or on the front door. The purpose of this is to create more love for the country which should make people think twice before they throw garbage onto the land, etc. Also, every building (private or public) should have on the front door imprinted the slogan"Hoy yo voy a soportar a mi patria con mi sudor, con mi alegria, con mi buen comportamiento ciudadano como Duarte, Sanchez, y Mella los Sonaron". Again, to keep people working hard for a better tomorrow in he island.

7) For aesthetic beauty sake, there should be an ordinace nationwide prohibiting structures to remain unpainted for more than 6 months. Also, every tin roof must be painted either Red, Blue, Pink, Gray, or Purple before the tin begins to corode and look ugly. Also, every residential home would be required to have flower pots (the types that hand from the window or the types that you can put on a hanger on the "Galeria") with flowers. Failure to comply with this ordinance should result in warnings, fines, and if it becomes a repeat offendor even (yes) severe punishment such as jail time (max. 3 months) and/or confiscation of property.

These are a few things that would make the DR a much more pleasant place, much more intelligent, and better prepare for future development. Since most of these duties are quite simple to follow and they have hefty punishment, most people would simply carry on with these ordinances resulting in a Dominican Republic educating its future leaders, beautifying its public spaces, and more patriotism and love for the country - which should result in less brain drain, I would think.

Talk about HARSH!!! CONFISCATION OF PROPERTY??? For Not putting flowers in the window, for not cleaning up the garbage OTHER people place in front of one's house??

COME ON, NalOwhs! That's a LITTLE stiff and sounds like something from the Trujillo day's of dictatorship!!!
Remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!!!
You FIRST must teach them to RESPECT the rights of OTHERS in the same light that they respect(think of) themselves. Once that little element of sociology is imprinted in the brain, the rest comes easy. And THAT must be done at one's Mother's feet. Something, by my observation, is lacking in Dominican Society at the common level.
Now, before you go off on a two paragraph useless explanation for the lack of respect the average, lower class Dominican renders to his peers and to others, consider what, and how this was presented. I'm just stating the observation of one individual and how I interpret what I see.

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Texas Bill said:
Talk about HARSH!!! CONFISCATION OF PROPERTY??? For Not putting flowers in the window, for not cleaning up the garbage OTHER people place in front of one's house??

COME ON, NalOwhs! That's a LITTLE stiff and sounds like something from the Trujillo day's of dictatorship!!!
Remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!!!
You FIRST must teach them to RESPECT the rights of OTHERS in the same light that they respect(think of) themselves. Once that little element of sociology is imprinted in the brain, the rest comes easy. And THAT must be done at one's Mother's feet. Something, by my observation, is lacking in Dominican Society at the common level.
Now, before you go off on a two paragraph useless explanation for the lack of respect the average, lower class Dominican renders to his peers and to others, consider what, and how this was presented. I'm just stating the observation of one individual and how I interpret what I see.

Texas Bill

Making it a little "Harsh" as you put it is essential only in the beginning of the implementation to ensure that the law is complied with to its full extent. Of course, it would not be wise to keep the "Harshness" beyond the "introductory" stage of implementing the law, but in the beginning it would be excellent. I feel that these rules would be something positive for the country and people will see the benefits of it when they find themselves walking on actual sidewalks without jumping over piles of garbage, when the colmados see more pale tourist faces buying more stuff, when the tourists venture into all areas of a given town and city. The benefits of this do outweight any negatives. Besides, what is so hard about putting up a flag? Or planting flowers, even if they are the artificial kind? Its not something terribly hard, just put the flowers and put the flag and bang, you are done complying with the law as a good citizen to the country that gave you the right to live. That's why I'm confused at the refuse of accepting the mode of implementation. I would understand it if the law was asking for people to stop driving to salute a flag or for people to always carry identification bags on their shirts or something like that that would be inconvenience. But putting up a flag? You just put it up and forget it. The flag won't go anywhere once its hanging and your property won't be confiscated and/or you will not receive any fines or anything. Its very easy!!

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Nal0whs said:
Making it a little "Harsh" as you put it is essential only in the beginning of the implementation to ensure that the law is complied with to its full extent. Of course, it would not be wise to keep the "Harshness" beyond the "introductory" stage of implementing the law, but in the beginning it would be excellent. I feel that these rules would be something positive for the country and people will see the benefits of it when they find themselves walking on actual sidewalks without jumping over piles of garbage, when the colmados see more pale tourist faces buying more stuff, when the tourists venture into all areas of a given town and city. The benefits of this do outweight any negatives. Besides, what is so hard about putting up a flag? Or planting flowers, even if they are the artificial kind? Its not something terribly hard, just put the flowers and put the flag and bang, you are done complying with the law as a good citizen to the country that gave you the right to live. That's why I'm confused at the refuse of accepting the mode of implementation. I would understand it if the law was asking for people to stop driving to salute a flag or for people to always carry identification bags on their shirts or something like that that would be inconvenience. But putting up a flag? You just put it up and forget it. The flag won't go anywhere once its hanging and your property won't be confiscated and/or you will not receive any fines or anything. Its very easy!!

OH! If I were only Nal0whs for a day, then I would know EVERYTHING too.

I only have one aspect that that I would change, and that would be, that all of the corrupt officials in the DR would be struck by lightning.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
JimB said:
That would be one hell of a thunderstorm!!!

JimB

Not to mention that the storm will cover every country on earth if it is the Corruption Terminator Super Cell Thunderstorm!! My my my! :cheeky:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I think Vlad Dracul tried that...

...in Romania by inviting every official in the country to a banquet and killing them all.

Problem is their successors were no better, because PEOPLE DESERVE THE LEADERS THEY GET!!!

Dominicans do not dream of justice, or equality, they just wait their turn to get on top.

If they did they would have gotten it long ago. When they are willing to have a real republic and pay for it with their blood, they will have one and not before.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
MrMike said:
...in Romania by inviting every official in the country to a banquet and killing them all.

Problem is their successors were no better, because PEOPLE DESERVE THE LEADERS THEY GET!!!

Dominicans do not dream of justice, or equality, they just wait their turn to get on top.

If they did they would have gotten it long ago. When they are willing to have a real republic and pay for it with their blood, they will have one and not before.

This is not just a Dominican phenomena. It is something that occurs in most of the countries of the world. Maybe that is saying something about Human nature. Even in the US, scandals like Watergate and the recent Corporate Corruption Scandals just shows that many folks in all countries are just waiting for their turn to get on top. I think this is more human nature than anything else.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Would it not be better to have the Sindicos and the Church organizations of EACH and EVERY Campo, Village and Town begin a concentrated effort LOCALLY to change the DEPLORABLE maintenance habits of the Dominican People???
There was a time in the not so distant past, in the dear ole USA when these SAME conditions and habit patterns were very prevalent! Those patterns took about 10 years to only Partially eliminate and to clean up the trash along the nation's highways, in the neighborhoods, etc. It took a concentrated effort by the local goverments, the State governments and the Federal government to impliment the plans. In each community, a section of the roadways were assigned to various organizations to keep clean. The plan has been relatively successful considering the propensity for a population to be forgetful, but after receiving several $500.00 fines, they finally got the word.
My reference to your being harsh was in reference to the death penalty being imposed for a non-violent crime, the confiscation of one's property, and like punishments that smealt of dictatorial type actions. I frankly see no need for such measures. It smacks of retribution rather than a true disciplinary action.
After all, you an get better and more willing cooperation by offering sugar than you can by offering salt.
To me, this is a job for the Church and the Sindicos to implement and carry out, AS THEY SHOULD ANYWAY!!!

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Texas Bill said:
Would it not be better to have the Sindicos and the Church organizations of EACH and EVERY Campo, Village and Town begin a concentrated effort LOCALLY to change the DEPLORABLE maintenance habits of the Dominican People???
There was a time in the not so distant past, in the dear ole USA when these SAME conditions and habit patterns were very prevalent! Those patterns took about 10 years to only Partially eliminate and to clean up the trash along the nation's highways, in the neighborhoods, etc. It took a concentrated effort by the local goverments, the State governments and the Federal government to impliment the plans. In each community, a section of the roadways were assigned to various organizations to keep clean. The plan has been relatively successful considering the propensity for a population to be forgetful, but after receiving several $500.00 fines, they finally got the word.
My reference to your being harsh was in reference to the death penalty being imposed for a non-violent crime, the confiscation of one's property, and like punishments that smealt of dictatorial type actions. I frankly see no need for such measures. It smacks of retribution rather than a true disciplinary action.
After all, you an get better and more willing cooperation by offering sugar than you can by offering salt.
To me, this is a job for the Church and the Sindicos to implement and carry out, AS THEY SHOULD ANYWAY!!!

Texas Bill

Pin point to me where I wrote death penalty? I sure don't remember saying or typing that! The highest degree of punishment for violating my suggestion was 3 month jail time, but that would hardly be applied. Most senteces would last from 3 to 7 days, that's it!

I also said there would be fines and stuff. The stiffest (the jail time, no death penalty at all) would be for repeat offendors and for those tigueritos that constantly are brewing up a fight in places like Capotillo for the most basic things!

The confiscation of ones property would come as a last resort incase a person refuses to keep his lot clean, etc. I mean people in the US are forced to demolish a building if it was build not according to code and that is an invasion of rights. Just how a building built not according to the code could cause harm, so does all that garbage. People in the DR don't listen if you are weak and tell them to do something with a smooth voice. You have to be (not dictatorial) but firm about what you are saying! I've seen so many signs in the DR saying in Spanish "No Littering, Fines will be given to those who violate this law" and beneath the sign is a three feet pile of garbage!! I'll bet that if a person that is caught throwing the garbage was to be arrested (even if he is freed upon arriving to the police department), that would make people think twice before throwing garbage out the window.

However, lets wait and see if TB's plan works in the DR, since so many stuff that works in the US Doesn't in the DR. Your plan is going to be implemented in the Parque Litoral del Sur in Santo Domingo with different companies commiting to maintaining a stretch of the park clean. If that turns out to be a success, than it should be spread into other sectors of society. But if it doesn't, that just proves another thing that worked in the US, but didn't in the DR!

And I agree with you on your last sentence, the Church should be taking care of this. But the Cardinals like the leather seats and sumptous rooms of the Palacio Nacional. That's why they are still trying to influence the government. Those Cardinals should fly back to Rome (little joke there), but really the church should be out of politics and into really serving the people.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Nal0whs said:
Pin point to me where I wrote death penalty? I sure don't remember saying or typing that! The highest degree of punishment for violating my suggestion was 3 month jail time, but that would hardly be applied. Most senteces would last from 3 to 7 days, that's it!

I also said there would be fines and stuff. The stiffest (the jail time, no death penalty at all) would be for repeat offendors and for those tigueritos that constantly are brewing up a fight in places like Capotillo for the most basic things!

The confiscation of ones property would come as a last resort incase a person refuses to keep his lot clean, etc. I mean people in the US are forced to demolish a building if it was build not according to code and that is an invasion of rights. Just how a building built not according to the code could cause harm, so does all that garbage. People in the DR don't listen if you are weak and tell them to do something with a smooth voice. You have to be (not dictatorial) but firm about what you are saying! I've seen so many signs in the DR saying in Spanish "No Littering, Fines will be given to those who violate this law" and beneath the sign is a three feet pile of garbage!! I'll bet that if a person that is caught throwing the garbage was to be arrested (even if he is freed upon arriving to the police department), that would make people think twice before throwing garbage out the window.

However, lets wait and see if TB's plan works in the DR, since so many stuff that works in the US Doesn't in the DR. Your plan is going to be implemented in the Parque Litoral del Sur in Santo Domingo with different companies commiting to maintaining a stretch of the park clean. If that turns out to be a success, than it should be spread into other sectors of society. But if it doesn't, that just proves another thing that worked in the US, but didn't in the DR!

And I agree with you on your last sentence, the Church should be taking care of this. But the Cardinals like the leather seats and sumptous rooms of the Palacio Nacional. That's why they are still trying to influence the government. Those Cardinals should fly back to Rome (little joke there), but really the church should be out of politics and into really serving the people.

Mea Culpa!! I stand corrected as to the 'death penalty' and I truly apologize!

I fail to see that constructing a building, not in accordance with an established "building code" is "a violation of rights" since buildings so constructed often fall down around the occupants heads and injure them. Should not the contractor be held responsible?? As far back as the implimentation of "Hammurabi's Code" such as act has been effected upon the construction community. And that was a little while ago!!! Several thousand years ago, in fact!
Building codes are promulgated and enforced with the safety of building occupants in mind, and to ensure that adequately substantial materials are used in the construction of same. Wouldn't you agree that assurances be in place through legal requirements to effect just that, given that many contractor's are unscrupulous and greedy??

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Texas Bill said:
Mea Culpa!! I stand corrected as to the 'death penalty' and I truly apologize!

I fail to see that constructing a building, not in accordance with an established "building code" is "a violation of rights" since buildings so constructed often fall down around the occupants heads and injure them. Should not the contractor be held responsible?? As far back as the implimentation of "Hammurabi's Code" such as act has been effected upon the construction community. And that was a little while ago!!! Several thousand years ago, in fact!
Building codes are promulgated and enforced with the safety of building occupants in mind, and to ensure that adequately substantial materials are used in the construction of same. Wouldn't you agree that assurances be in place through legal requirements to effect just that, given that many contractor's are unscrupulous and greedy??

Texas Bill

About the building codes, that was to show that just how the US forces its citizens to comply with certain things that would be beneficial to all, so too can the DR government do such thing. Forcing its populance to help maintain THEIR country clean is not only a beautification matter, but also one less health risk to worry about! Flimsy buildings collapse and crush people and garbage attracts foul odors, bugs, and can be breading grounds for any number of desease. Governments have the right to "force" its citizens to comply with certain laws if it would be benefitial to everyone in the long run. I just can't find anything wrong with a government that forces its people to keep THEIR country nice and clean. I don't see what's wrong with having a country with clean and pleasant towns with as little blight as possible.

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
Recycling

I would love to start a recycling plant for plastic, rubber and paper.
Compliance countrywide. Bet that would help the unemployment rate!
.....afterall, where do all those tires blasted by potholes go???
and the plastic bags are everywhere!

Just a thought.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I agree 100%....

That's a good improvement idea. Recycling is a global problem, a requirement and notably in the DR. Eventually they will have to focus on mass recycling.

timelessdreams said:
I would love to start a recycling plant for plastic, rubber and paper.
Compliance countrywide. Bet that would help the unemployment rate!
.....afterall, where do all those tires blasted by potholes go???
and the plastic bags are everywhere!

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.