Looking To Relocate

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Im A New Yorker Born In Dr But Ive Always Lived In Ny I Want To Go Back To Dr I Need Some Help With The Relocation Process. I Want To Stay For About A Year And Try It Out I Know I Love My Country But Can I Get Used To It? Thats What Im Going To Find Out. I Wnat To Rent A Spacious Place For Myself No Family Or Kids Jsut Me And I Need To Rent For A Year I Am Willing To Pay In Advanced For Anything That Needs To Be Done As Far As The Rental Goes Can Anyone Help

ginger ale

May 6, 2004
lizzyjl80 said:
Im A New Yorker Born In Dr But Ive Always Lived In Ny I Want To Go Back To Dr I Need Some Help With The Relocation Process. I Want To Stay For About A Year And Try It Out I Know I Love My Country But Can I Get Used To It? Thats What Im Going To Find Out. I Wnat To Rent A Spacious Place For Myself No Family Or Kids Jsut Me And I Need To Rent For A Year I Am Willing To Pay In Advanced For Anything That Needs To Be Done As Far As The Rental Goes Can Anyone Help

Hi, There' s an apartment available in my building. It has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 maid's room, balcony, parking spot. It is quite spacious and newly painted. Are you looking for something furnished or not? This one is not furnished. We are in an area called El Portal (near the Presidente brewery and the famous disco Jet Set) in Santo Domingo. It' s a nice, fairly quiet neighborhood. We're close to the main avenues like Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Independencia and the 27 de Febrero. Also the Mirador park is just at the end of our street. I' ve been there for 6 years and love it. Rent is 8,000$RD a month (roughly 165US a month). It is a quiet building, only 6 apartments...in other words no wild parties (unless we' re all invited!) :cheeky:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Wow, Ginger, you sure are lucky!

ginger ale said:
Hi, There' s an apartment available in my building. It has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1 maid's room, balcony, parking spot. It is quite spacious and newly painted. Are you looking for something furnished or not? This one is not furnished. We are in an area called El Portal (near the Presidente brewery and the famous disco Jet Set) in Santo Domingo. It' s a nice, fairly quiet neighborhood. We're close to the main avenues like Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Independencia and the 27 de Febrero. Also the Mirador park is just at the end of our street. I' ve been there for 6 years and love it. Rent is 8,000$RD a month (roughly 165US a month). It is a quiet building, only 6 apartments...in other words no wild parties (unless we' re all invited!) :cheeky:

For a nice area, the rent seems to be pretty cheap, certainly a better deal than the apts. I see advertised on Listin Diario. How do you manage the electricity black outs. Does your building have a "planta full", is there air conditioning? How much $ do they require in advace- first, last, deposit etc- and do you have to sign a lease. If you only pay about US$165.00 monthly rent, then the ones advertised for US$800.00 a month must be really luxurious. Congratulations, it seems like you've got yourself a good deal there. Or perhaps this is more the rule than the exception? I don't live in DR but I follow these posts closely in order to have a good idea about housing costs in general. I read a report that just came out the other day listing Sto. Domingo as one of the least expensive capitals in the world, along with Montevideo, Uruguay and Asuncion, Paraguay. What do you think?

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
thats perfect

ginger ale said:

I would love to take a look thats right around the area where i waws hoping you must have read my mind. what do i have to do?

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
lizzyjl80 said:

There are many places for rent in SOsua , Cabarete and other part of DR,. You have too specify also where do you want to move and what are you willing to spend.

The apartments in Sol Bonito, near Cabaret- 2 bedrooms start at $ 800 per month plus utility and the villas of Casa Linda also have great rates and the privacy of the home with a pool.
So, as you can see , you have many choices , but have to also rememebr to check wieh you are renting if the place provides 24 hours electricity, water, security and many other things you might require or need.

If you like you can contact me directly and I will give you more onfo about varied rentals:))
Best of luck!
Rimma

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
sunnyvillas said:
There are many places for rent in SOsua , Cabarete and other part of DR,. You have too specify also where do you want to move and what are you willing to spend.

The apartments in Sol Bonito, near Cabaret- 2 bedrooms start at $ 800 per month plus utility and the villas of Casa Linda also have great rates and the privacy of the home with a pool.
So, as you can see , you have many choices , but have to also rememebr to check wieh you are renting if the place provides 24 hours electricity, water, security and many other things you might require or need.

If you like you can contact me directly and I will give you more onfo about varied rentals:))
Best of luck!
Rimma

im interested in the capital if you have something around there let me know
i went to your website and loved the villas but im looking to rent for a whole year and need something more economical just as beautiful but economical ;)

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Sharron said:
which area do you want to rent in?

i want to rent in santo domingo somewhere near the night life but not on the george washington that may be too expensive. I want something around the 27 de febrero the prolongation of it because its near my personal needs and i can pretty much go across the bridge in about 15 minutes at any time of day. ill appreciate it if you could help me. thank you

ginger ale

May 6, 2004
juancarlos said:
For a nice area, the rent seems to be pretty cheap, certainly a better deal than the apts. I see advertised on Listin Diario. How do you manage the electricity black outs. Does your building have a "planta full", is there air conditioning? How much $ do they require in advace- first, last, deposit etc- and do you have to sign a lease. If you only pay about US$165.00 monthly rent, then the ones advertised for US$800.00 a month must be really luxurious. Congratulations, it seems like you've got yourself a good deal there. Or perhaps this is more the rule than the exception? I don't live in DR but I follow these posts closely in order to have a good idea about housing costs in general. I read a report that just came out the other day listing Sto. Domingo as one of the least expensive capitals in the world, along with Montevideo, Uruguay and Asuncion, Paraguay. What do you think?

Hi Juan Carlos,
First of all, it' s not that cheap...cheap for you guys earning in US$$$ but for those earning $RD here it' s actually considered expensive. My apartment is bigger than this one for rent and I pay less just because I've been in the building for over 6 years and I always help the owner to find good people to move in. If I had to pay 8,000$RD I could not afford to live there. It is very nice though. The building does not have a planta, everyone has there own inverter. Each apartment has it' s tinaco. I'll be honest, the only problem we sometimes have is water. The water does not arrive from the street everyday so when there is no water coming in we have to depend on our tinacos. That means of course being careful not to waste it. Besides that, the blackouts are all over the country. In normal times the area is pretty good for electricity, we could spend days without it ever leaving. Now, 800$US a month for an apartment or house is very very expensive considering the average salary is about 210$US a month! Santo Domingo isn' t expensive for those earning $US or Euros, or $Cdn! If you go to the supermarket for example and buy a 2 litre of Coca Cola, it costs 50$RD. You convert it and you say ah but it's only 1$US, cheap right! Not for us, a 2 litre used to cost 20$RD! What everybody has to realize is that all the prices went up 300% but our salaries have not been adjusted. A person who makes 20,000$RD a month is considered to have a good salary but one can hardly make it on 20,000 a month. Two years a ago one lived very comfortably with 20,000 a month but not now thanks to Hippo!
Ok, back to the apartment, no, there' s no air condition, you can put one in if you want and if you can afford the electricity. We have one but have not used it in over 6 months. The electricity bill got way to high. If someone is interested in the apartment, the owner wants a one month deposit.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
If you are searching for anything online you are going to get the gringo price. If you are shopping on a budget and do your home work you should be able to find a nice place for 5,000 per month or $100 USD. Many people here are getting by with 1,000 to 1,500 per month for rent. Remember many people only make 5,000 pesos per month.

All these people that are asking for $800, $1,000, $1,500 per month USD, yes there exists a constant flow of people to fill that market. Quite frankly, they are crazy!

For example, I live in a very nice section of Santiago. The apartment below me, 3 bedrooms, 7,000 pesos. They are paying a more than locals would be charged for the same place.

Many people are making a living off of ignorant travelers.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
gringo in dr said:
If you are searching for anything online you are going to get the gringo price. If you are shopping on a budget and do your home work you should be able to find a nice place for 5,000 per month or $100 USD. Many people here are getting by with 1,000 to 1,500 per month for rent. Remember many people only make 5,000 pesos per month.

All these people that are asking for $800, $1,000, $1,500 per month USD, yes there exists a constant flow of people to fill that market. Quite frankly, they are crazy!

For example, I live in a very nice section of Santiago. The apartment below me, 3 bedrooms, 7,000 pesos. They are paying a more than locals would be charged for the same place.

Many people are making a living off of ignorant travelers.

thanks for the info your place sounds great and very cheap but id like a place in the capital. i understand the pricing and im not a lost traveler i was born there although raised in ny im still very dr savvy im not going to let them take me for a sucker becuase i know that you have to automatically convert it to dollars to calculate whether your getting a bargain or ar being taken.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
To tell you the truth it is much better to convert it to dollars. Just letting anyway know you are converting prices to dollars will tell them that you can afford to get ripped off.

It's better to tell people that you have a local job and get paid in pesos.

It's a constant game that is being played here, on how much you will be charged for something. Each day you learn a bit more. It takes years to get a decent handle on it.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Thanks Ginger and Gringo

Very good info. That's why I keep reading these posts. Now, should I asume that ads on line for Listin Diario and other papers, list higher prices for housing than the ads they publish on their regular street edition?

ginger ale

May 6, 2004
It' s the same!

juancarlos said:
Very good info. That's why I keep reading these posts. Now, should I asume that ads on line for Listin Diario and other papers, list higher prices for housing than the ads they publish on their regular street edition?
Hi,
I believe the ads online are the same as on the street. Like Gringo in Dr said, it' s a constant battle for the best price. It does get really annoying after a while. You have to hagger over the prices all the time specially when you' re a foreigner. I often get my husband to call for me cause as soon as they detect an accent the price is at least tripled if not more!

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
The ads posted online from the news papers are the same ones as in print. But everything is negotiable here. Asking price here is more of a fantasy price. Although many people here are stuburn and you will see apartment buildings and shopping centers empty for years. Some people stick with their fantasy prices.

To put pricing in perspective, one of the best known A/C techs in Santiago came over to take a look at my central A/C unit. He told me to that to start the job he had already found 20,000 pesos worth of repairs. Then he would see what else needed to be done. I told him it's not that hot and showed him the door. I checked around with some friends and got someone elses number. Bottom line, it needed some cleaning and an electrical short fixed. Total cost 2,000 pesos. I called Juan Carlos up, the first guy, and told him that what the repair should have cost. His reply was, I've seen your apartment, you are rich, you can afford it, that is why I quoted you that price.

And they don't even often you any ky jelly.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
ginger ale said:
Hi,
I believe the ads online are the same as on the street. Like Gringo in Dr said, it' s a constant battle for the best price. It does get really annoying after a while. You have to hagger over the prices all the time specially when you' re a foreigner. I often get my husband to call for me cause as soon as they detect an accent the price is at least tripled if not more!

that is very true about the accent thing
i speak spanish very well especially "dominican spanish" if you can call it something but somehow they always know that i travel. they say "se ve que viaja" i dont know how but they know it must be somethng in the food or something

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
gringo in dr said:
The ads posted online from the news papers are the same ones as in print. But everything is negotiable here. Asking price here is more of a fantasy price. Although many people here are stuburn and you will see apartment buildings and shopping centers empty for years. Some people stick with their fantasy prices.

To put pricing in perspective, one of the best known A/C techs in Santiago came over to take a look at my central A/C unit. He told me to that to start the job he had already found 20,000 pesos worth of repairs. Then he would see what else needed to be done. I told him it's not that hot and showed him the door. I checked around with some friends and got someone elses number. Bottom line, it needed some cleaning and an electrical short fixed. Total cost 2,000 pesos. I called Juan Carlos up, the first guy, and told him that what the repair should have cost. His reply was, I've seen your apartment, you are rich, you can afford it, that is why I quoted you that price.

And they don't even often you any ky jelly.

that happens alot in "el conde" i was jsut there last week for the weekend it was incredible so me and my cousin' swife decided to play some mind games
i let her off about two blocks down the street and i pulled up in the car soon as they saw me they gathered around me and ignored her. then she bought my items and after we got home compared prices if i had bought tnem i would have spent about 5000 pesos but she did the buying and you know what she only spent about 1575 thats a difference. you should try it that way next time

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
lizzyjl80 said:
that happens alot in "el conde" i was jsut there last week for the weekend it was incredible so me and my cousin' swife decided to play some mind games
i let her off about two blocks down the street and i pulled up in the car soon as they saw me they gathered around me and ignored her. then she bought my items and after we got home compared prices if i had bought tnem i would have spent about 5000 pesos but she did the buying and you know what she only spent about 1575 thats a difference. you should try it that way next time

I often do have domican friends call first and check on prices. Once they get the best price they will tell the person on the phone, "oh by the way my friend is going to pick it up for me, he is a gringo." I know it pisses them off but what can they do about it?

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
gringo in dr said:
I often do have domican friends call first and check on prices. Once they get the best price they will tell the person on the phone, "oh by the way my friend is going to pick it up for me, he is a gringo." I know it pisses them off but what can they do about it?[/QUOTE

im not a gringa i was actually born there but like i said before they have a way of knowing i guess its the hidden antennas that start beeping soon as they smell the recycled airplane air on your person :laugh:
its funny as hell because 20 minutes later i walked by with my cousins wife and all they could do was look on
i know theyre just trying to make a living but hey dont do it on my behalf im one of yours
do it to the gringos ;)

JUST KIDDING