Phone Rates To USA

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Does anyone know the latest phone rates (actual cost considering taxes, etc.) for calling the USA from your home in DR? Any informtion would be appreciated.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have installed a vonage phone in santo domingo. It hooks into my DSL router. I pay a flat 30 bucks per month and can call anywhere in the US and Canada . . . . .

The only caveat. . . .the power needs to be on!

The vonage phone also has a local NY area code so when I call my novia it is a local call. I save a fortune on calling cards. . . . .when there are lights;-)

Snuffy said:
Does anyone know the latest phone rates (actual cost considering taxes, etc.) for calling the USA from your home in DR? Any informtion would be appreciated.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
rafael said:
I have installed a vonage phone in santo domingo. It hooks into my DSL router. I pay a flat 30 bucks per month and can call anywhere in the US and Canada . . . . .

The vonage phone also has a local NY area code so when I call my novia it is a local call. I save a fortune on calling cards. . . . .when there are lights;-)

Here is their web site: http://www.vonage.com/

Joe

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
rafael said:

here is the Vonage web site: http://www.vonage.com/

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rates

Snuffy said:
From my (Verizon) home phone and cellular, I am paying 3.25 rd/minute to Canada and the US.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
rafael said:
If anyone is interested I think I can get ya a free month of vonage if ya sign up.
Like I said though, without lights it isn't much use;-)

Rafael, Vonage...does not work without the power turned on...is that because you have no power to turn your computer on? If an invertor was installed in your home would that work or do you have one?

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Phone rates

Snuffy said:
Rafael, Vonage...does not work without the power turned on...is that because you have no power to turn your computer on? If an invertor was installed in your home would that work or do you have one?

Will this work in Sabaneta De Yassica? What are the costs to U.K.? Anyone know what Verizon costs to U.K.are?

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
'Phone rates

Jimmydr said:
I make all my calls from Wilsons Internet in Sosua. Its cheap, 20 cents a minute!

I want to make calls from my home! When I get there. To England/Canada/Spain. What is the cost with whomever? What is the best way to go?

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
It's RDS1.95/min to the US and PR if you use the so-called VIP PLUS FLASH plan Verizon offers. The plan is RD$2155 monthly.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
'Phone rates

gerd said:
It's RDS1.95/min to the US and PR if you use the so-called VIP PLUS FLASH plan Verizon offers. The plan is RD$2155 monthly.

What is PR !! I want to make calls from DR to UK/ Canada/ Spain. What is the cost with whomever?

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Snuffy said:

The invertors don't have time to charge the batteries on the 2 - 4 hours per day that most people are getting here. You would have to buy a generator just to run your invertor to charge your batteries. Then of course you get charged by the power company for the time that your power was off too.

Centenial (cell phone) and tricom (land line) both just raised their rates. Now it's around 4.5 and 6 cents per minute, respectively to US.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
If the people you're calling (and yourself) have a DSL internet-connection, Skype would be the answer. More than 14 million people worldwide seems to think so.
You call for free to anyone anywere in the world! All you need is speakers and a microphone.

Check the website:

http://www.skype.com/

Cheers,
Bok

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You Know The Phone Companies Are Not Stupid....

They are taking your calls and routing them over the internet and then charging you.