Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Return Ticket Required - Flying to DR

Do I need a return ticket to USA or other destination when flying from USA to the DR? This will be my first time trying to fly one way from the USA to the DR. Any insight is helpful and appreciated.

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Not really

They say you do but I haven't ever been asked ( I am not sure the avaerage tourist is asked anything on arrival, frankly). If you are asked I suppose you just say you have $$ or a creidt card to buy a ticket when you are sure of the date.

One caveat: if the requirement for a return ticket is known by the airline then even if they sell you a ticket, one-way, they may not let you fly one-way unless you show them you have an onward ticket, which may not be back to where you left, on them , but another airline, say Aeropostal SDQ- Caracas, etc. Any refusals by immigration for bad documents are the responsibility of the airline.

You might find it cheaper to buy a round trip ticket anyway. One way is often quite a lot.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure that you have to buy a return ticket, because my friends who were planning on staying for a while bought one-way tickets to SDQ, and ended up having to buy a return ticket on the spot (for about $1000 - they got an open-ended ticket). If anyone has a different story, let me know, but I'm pretty sure you need proof of some sort of return ticket.

Retired Ussername
    Post Thanks / Like

You need a flight ticket out of the DR ,unless you either have a DR passport or a current Temporary or Permanent Residency card as a foreigner.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, DR Immigration does not look/ask for this when you arrive. However, American Airlines checks this when checking in and I have been forced to buy return ticket several times, before I got my residency. Not sure if other airlines check it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend tried to fly American on June 7th out of Miami on a one-way ticket. First the agent said no, then 2 Metro-Dade Police officers showed up, then my friend decided to buy a return ticket without discussing it further. The cops asked questions like "Do you have a green-card there?". The agent said she WOULD NOT give him a boarding card with a return ticket. He did try saying that he was continuing on to Spain, the agent said she needed to see a ticket to Spain.

I am here on a one-way ticket, and have done it several times. Guess I just rolled the dice and won every time.

I was told by someone who knows there stuff that the reason is that if DR imigration turns you back (they require you to have a return ticket, but rarely check) the airline is fined over $2,000 USD.

A solution is to purchase a return ticket at full-fare (refundable) and when you arrive here call or go in and refund the ticket. No cost, no police, no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have been asked

To show my residence in the DR when flying through MIA.

She looked through my passport and then asked where my return ticket was. I showed her my Residence Card and it was OK..

Maybe aith 9-11 on everyone's mind this will get tougher...Hope so.

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 9/11 long-lasting effects

One of the aftermath effects of 9/11 was the strict following of the roundtrip ticket requirements. One-way tickets set off warning bells at the checkin counter since they believe that terrorist only by one-way tickets.

Also if you purchase a ticket woth-in a 48 hour period, you will have to go thru an extra security area at the airport. I happen to experience this everytime I travel since my company usually buys my tickets with short notice.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Conchman
    In my experience, DR Immigration does not look/ask for this when you arrive. However, American Airlines checks this when checking in and I have been forced to buy return ticket several times, before I got my residency. Not sure if other airlines check it.
    AA not always checks return ticket, but it's easy to purchase a refundable ticket from Santo Domingo to San Juan for about $100 as a return ticket.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks For The Feedback...

Very helpful and appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast