Changing Money at airport/Boca Chica

crenshore

Jan 13, 2004
I will arriving in Santo Domingo airport late one Saturday evening in mid-July, and going straight to Boca Chica. Any suggestions whether I should change money (US$) at the airport or try to find somewhere to change it late at night in Boca Chica.

Thanks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Sdq

crenshore said:
I will arriving in Santo Domingo airport late one Saturday evening in mid-July, and going straight to Boca Chica. Any suggestions whether I should change money (US$) at the airport or try to find somewhere to change it late at night in Boca Chica.

Thanks.

You don't say what late at night is but after dinner the open cambios are scarce, and besides, the BR in the airport ( in the luggae area) offers decent RD$ prices and also will accommodate almost any desired cash combo you might like, like all 50's or 100's etc. So given that a) you probably can't get RD$ in BC until the next day, and b) they are open at SDQ, go to SDQ.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
BR in SDQ airport

Hello,
last month I arrived around 10 pm at SDQ airport and the BR in the luggage hall was still open to change money, rate was OK as well.
All the best!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
the LAST thing i would do is try to exchange money or go to an atm late at night. On my last visit a tourist was stabbed at an atm around 1AM. (stupid tourist).

I am not sure how late you are arriving...or where you are staying...but perhaps you can notify your hotel and they can have some pesos for you.

or...why not get your money exchanged before you leave? if not all of it just a hundred or two.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The airport or in the street in Boca Chica. Just change what you need and do not mind loosing if worse comes to worse.

You have more chance of getting stabbed while using an ATM at night in New York. I'll leave it up to you to make your own risk assessment...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i dunno rob....i just never thought about using my ATM at 1 or 2 AM while on calle duarte....just common sence. I DO try to use common sence in regards to ATM's here in NYC....but in general i guess i feel safer cuz i only will go to ATMS that i generaly use (and many have security guards)

anyhoo...i didnt mean to sound alarmist or drastic...just wanted to give a heads up to a traveler.

Again...if you are coming in REALLY late...either ask the hotel in advance for some pesos...or get some before you travel.

Oh...the politur promptly gunned down the guy who stabbed the tourist. That was such a wierd night.

For real tho....i have always felt safe in B.C. so i am not being alarmist....just saying....DONT BE STUPID! LOL

hope that helps

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Popular ATM has Guards

jrzyguy said:
i dunno rob....i just never thought about using my ATM at 1 or 2 AM while on calle duarte....just common sence. I DO try to use common sence in regards to ATM's here in NYC....but in general i guess i feel safer cuz i only will go to ATMS that i generaly use (and many have security guards)

Again...if you are coming in REALLY late...either ask the hotel in advance for some pesos...or get some before you travel.

I think only one ATM remains on Duarte (main bar area of the street) at the far end by El Batey Supermercado, the ATM on the outside wall of the cambio.

Popular moved to the swanky new branch farther down the street and has a couple of guards there all the time and a drive up ATM too, so it would be safe pretty well all the time - it's quite well lit alsol. The BR one a block away from Duarte is not that public, and might best be avoided at night.

AFAIK, however BR cambios in the SDQ airport are always open when the flights arrive and as such a late arrival would do best to get some pesos there first as for sure the cambios on Duarte and anywhere else are closed around 8 .