POP Airport to Santo Domingo by Bus

Stephan

Jun 20, 2004
Hi,

could You tell me the best way to travel from POP Airport to Santo Domingo by bus ?

Metro or Caribe ?

I was told to go by taxi to Sosua and catch the Bus there. If it`s the right info, how much to spend for the taxi ?

Is reservation for the Bus necessary ?

Thanks a lot for Your help

Stephan

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours buses leave Sosua at 20 minutes past the hour from 5:20am to 6:20 pm. Metro doesn't run from Sosua. It does from Puerto Plata, but CaribeTours has more buses daily. The bus from Sosua to Santo Domingo is presently RD$220.

The taxi from the airport to the Caribe Tours terminal is US$15. Reservations are not required. In fact, not available. But Sosua is the starting point of the bus and never leaves full. You'll have no trouble getting a seat.

Stephan

Jun 20, 2004
Do I pay the taxi in RD$ or US$ ?

Is it a good idea to change money at the airport in POP ?

Are there better rates at other places ?

Thank You !

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rates

Stephan said:
Do I pay the taxi in RD$ or US$ ?

Is it a good idea to change money at the airport in POP ?

Are there better rates at other places ?

Thank You !
These days, the rates at the airport are pretty decent, so you could change enough for one day and see if you can get a slightly better deal once you get to Santo Domingo.
The taxis from the airport usually charge in US dollars.

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
I got a question too. If I come with a big suitcase, is there enough space in the bus for it and is it safe or do I have to go out on every stop and check that nobody steals my suitcase?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mexx78 said:
I got a question too. If I come with a big suitcase, is there enough space in the bus for it and is it safe or do I have to go out on every stop and check that nobody steals my suitcase?

Plenty of room for your suitcase. You should see the amount of luggage the Dominicans coming from the US at Christmas time load on the bus. The luggage compartment is below the cabin.

I've been taking the bus for years and have never had problems with my luggage or heard of anybody else having trouble. If your suitcase could easily be mistaken for somebody else's, you may want to mark it in some way so that you don't lose it by accident at either the airport or on the bus.