Fshing on the north coast of DR ???

Tatts1964

Jun 19, 2004
Fishing on the north coast of DR ???

Hi everybody.

I am new both to this board and to the Domincan Republic.

I will be coming over to your beautiful island in mid September this year for a 14 night stay at Costa Dorada. Whether this is the name of the hotel or the town, I do not know. I have my heart set on going fishing in the evenings from the shore near the Hotel and also for a few charter trips on boats. Always assuming that there are any that operate in the area.

I would like to know what baits, rigs, types of fish etc I would need and hope to catch whilst there. I do not want to bring every item of tackle I own as the baggage allowance is only a pathetic 20 kgs each, from the UK!! So, as you can imagine, I will only be able to bring a mimimum amount of tackle with me. This is where I am hoping that you good people here can help me, in deciding what it is that I will need to bring.

Many thanks, in advance, for all your help.

Andy

Last edited:

Tatts1964

Jun 19, 2004
Thanks for your advice

Thanks guys.

I will no doubt be mailing Pablo soon thanks Gregg.

I have some more questions for you now (sorry).

Hlywud - What type of fishing did you try from the shore?? Was it spinning, fly, casting out a bait or what?? In the UK, the most popular form of shore fishing is to cast a bait to a likely fish holding area and to hope that one will take your bait. This can be anywhere from 20 yards to well over 100.

Having spoken, last night, to the airline I am to fly with, I can purchase extra baggage allowance. It's expensive but possibly worth it. That would mean I can take a variety of tackle and rods. Anything from a light spinning rod, to my heavy Greys beachcaster, specifically designed for fishing rough ground.

So, are there any rocky outcrops and or cliffs in the area?? These, I would be in a position to exploit with such a tool ! Also piers, jetties and other such structures would be a useul place for me to try??

Thanks again for your help and have a great week.

Andy

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Tatts1964 said:
So, are there any rocky outcrops and or cliffs in the area?? These, I would be in a position to exploit with such a tool ! Also piers, jetties and other such structures would be a useul place for me to try??

Thanks again for your help and have a great week.

Andy

See my response to Londoner on this subject. You can try the cliff top at "On the Waterfront" at Sosua of maybe down at the Fortress end of the Puerto Plata Malecon (Promenade or seafront road). Tight lines!! - Grahame.