Stolen Money (Banco Popular)

caro

Sep 24, 2003
I just coming back to my home because I was stolen for 5000 canadian money in my account.I was there for 3 month when I see what is happening.the problem is when I was talking with my bank he told me I don t have to do anything overthere just coming back to my home and sign some paper.but now my bank told me it s probably someone I know because all the transaction was made with my card and my pin.the person who make the transaction never make error when he do my pin.so my bank don t want to give me back my money and don t want to look anymore what is happen with my money.my bank tell me is to me to make other thing if i want to know more.so my question are what can I do? do you know if banco popular have camera ? if yes how and who have the power to ask to see the tape of this camera?I know I will probably never have this money back but if is someone I know it I want to know and I want he be arrested and go jail.so please any advice will be appreciate.do you know if the consulate of dr in my city can help me? or other person....thank

Last edited by a moderator:

caro

Sep 24, 2003
hello if the laywer fabio can give me some advice I will appreciate

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I would assume that your card was swiped at a compromised machine and someone watched you enter your PIN number.
The card was later replicated and your cash stolen.

I would be quite pissed off at the idiot at the bank for suggesting I was stupid enough to give someone my bank card and PIN number.

Ideally, the bank and the police should want to find the despicable lowlife crook(s).
Unfortunately, the reality is often that they have very limited resources and much bigger fish to fry.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I wish you better luck than I have had in such matters.

I had a very hard time getting my money from my bank after $900 was stolen from my account by one of their employees.
The cops were not even remotely interested in this case.

I was also defrauded of $23,000.
Even this amount was not enough to get the police to do anything other than file a report.
I have since paid around $5,000 to get a civil judgement and a couple of more grand trying to collect that judgement, thus far with no success.

Unless you have some connection with the police, you probably have no recourse.

Go back and tell that idiot at the bank to accept some responsibility for not securing their ATMs.
Better yet, try talking to someone with some common sense.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Banco Popular does have camaras

Go to the bank and ask for the manager. they do have camaras on most CASH machines.

Good Luck,

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just so you are aware? One of Banco Popular?s VP?s recently contacted us in regard to some of the recent postings relating to them on the message board.

They are investigating a couple of the cases and we will follow up to make sure they take some action.

I suggest you either post you case in great detail on the board or if you?re not comfortable with that, email it to us and we will forward it on to the right people that are in a position to actually do something and take action at Banco Popular.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Al from Texas

Robert said:
Just so you are aware? One of Banco Popular?s VP?s recently contacted us in regard to some of the recent postings relating to them on the message board.

They are investigating a couple of the cases and we will follow up to make sure they take some action.

I suggest you either post you case in great detail on the board or if you?re not comfortable with that, email it to us and we will forward it on to the right people that are in a position to actually do something and take action at Banco Popular.

Let's see the Banco Popular refund Al from Texas the money he lost trying to pursue his case with them, then I'll start to believe that they are actually trying to do something about all the ATM frauds at their bank.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
get a good lawyer

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. That's a real bummer. Anyway, the bank is supposed to Launch an investigation along with "Dominican Detectives" if there is such a beast. See if the bank will give you a print out of all the transactions that have taken place with your bank account from "x/y" time frame. Inspect the list and highlight all debious transactions and note which ATM branches thet were. The "Dominican Detectives" are supposed to work off that list AFTER you show them what ATM's are suspicious so they can go and demand the video from those branches and try to ID the sofisticated crook who took your money out. But, I think that crime is a little high tech for your average idiotic dominican crook(just my thoughts). As far as the bank, if they're a responsible financial institute, which I doubt, should refund you Your money while they get to the bottom of this and nab the thief. Good luck and nice new bank account.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Has anyone ever experienced ATM fraud on another bank than Banco Popular?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Other banks..

gerd said:
Has anyone ever experienced ATM fraud on another bank than Banco Popular?
I have heard of some tourists having problems in other banks, however, Banco Popular seems to be the most "popular".

caro

Sep 24, 2003
thank you for your answer and like robert tell me I make a e-mail to banco popular with all date , number of machine , hour, how much money, # sequence of service and # of transaction so now I just hope then he can do something for me.I really want to know what it happen with my money and hope to having back but for that I think it s the investigation of my bank would say if I can t have my money back.so if someone have other idea just let me know.thank again

caro

Sep 24, 2003
hello everyone

I just have reply of banco popular and said he can do something but the bank will solve the problem with my bank.he can do investigation but it s not to me to ask but my bank.I just think this a reply at not personnalized but send to many people asking something.so now I just have to wait what the bank system can do for me...and I don t believe anything now so I probably never know what it s happen with my money.what can I do now?????

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Robert should get a commission on any refunded money. This is an exceptional function for the board.