HELP- Need apartment by end of July!!

LSimone

Jan 21, 2004
Hey everyone,

I'm moving to the DR and I realyl need an apartnment. Will it be easy to find a roomate (Dominican)? Everyone has suggested living in Gazcue or Zona colonial- what are the prices for rent in these areas for a 1 bedroom apt with generator, security guard? PLEASE TELL ME EVERYTHING I WILL NEED WHEN APPLYING TO RENT AN APT? And where do I look? Should I spend more than $300/month? Could the landlord randonly raise the rent? Should I be scared to live by myself as a female in DR ? (I look Dominican, by the way). PLEASE HELP.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
LSimone said:
Hey everyone,

I'm moving to the DR and I realyl need an apartnment. Will it be easy to find a roomate (Dominican)? Everyone has suggested living in Gazcue or Zona colonial- what are the prices for rent in these areas for a 1 bedroom apt with generator, security guard? PLEASE TELL ME EVERYTHING I WILL NEED WHEN APPLYING TO RENT AN APT? And where do I look? Should I spend more than $300/month? Could the landlord randonly raise the rent? Should I be scared to live by myself as a female in DR ? (I look Dominican, by the way). PLEASE HELP.

im actually planning to relocate myself im speaking to a lady about renting her apartment for a year in Herrera. its a 3 bedroom with 2 bathrooms it sounds nice and the rent is about US$193.00 a month if youre interested we could go at it together and it would be about 84 bucks a month each what do you think . by the way im in new york where ae you located right now? id like very much to speak with you.

oh by the way zona colonial is for tourists babe too expensive
just plain expensive
hope to talk to you soon

LSimone

Jan 21, 2004
lizzyjl80 said:
im actually planning to relocate myself im speaking to a lady about renting her apartment for a year in Herrera. its a 3 bedroom with 2 bathrooms it sounds nice and the rent is about US$193.00 a month if youre interested we could go at it together and it would be about 84 bucks a month each what do you think . by the way im in new york where ae you located right now? id like very much to speak with you.

oh by the way zona colonial is for tourists babe too expensive
just plain expensive
hope to talk to you soon

How far is Herrera from Gazcue?

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
about 4-5 miles out

LSimone said:
How far is Herrera from Gazcue?

Gazcue is in the outer city center of Santo Domingo and it was a suburb, and the place to live, in the 1950's. Herrera is now a suburb and it's 4-5 miles out west of the city and a middle to lower-middle class section for the most part.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Positive things about Herrera:

A real Dominican experience
Cheaper rents than in "downtown" SD
If you live in the Hospital zone, not many breakouts
Cheap power
Not so many thieves come in your house
Depending where you live in Herrera, quick access to Plaza Lama, Autopista Duarte (Carrefour,supermercado Ol?) , Haina and San Cristobal.

Negative things (especially for young girls/women)
Not many charming latinos around are real gentlemen, and young girls from outside (inclusing ausentes) are targets.
At any moment a problem can break out (2 murders in "my" street in the last 2 years, including 1 on my doorstep a cuchillazo)
dominican women gossiping
Isabel Aguiar tapones

Maybe a better option to live in Alameda.

I live in Las Palmas de Herrera when I am in DR, 10 years I go there now, my dominican family lives there, including my 20yrs old stepdaughter.

Barnab?

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Barnabe said:
Positive things about Herrera:

A real Dominican experience
Cheaper rents than in "downtown" SD
If you live in the Hospital zone, not many breakouts
Cheap power
Not so many thieves come in your house
Depending where you live in Herrera, quick access to Plaza Lama, Autopista Duarte (Carrefour,supermercado Ol?) , Haina and San Cristobal.

Negative things (especially for young girls/women)
Not many charming latinos around are real gentlemen, and young girls from outside (inclusing ausentes) are targets.
At any moment a problem can break out (2 murders in "my" street in the last 2 years, including 1 on my doorstep a cuchillazo)
Isabel Aguiar tapones

Maybe a better option to live in Alameda.

I live in Las Palmas de Herrera when I am in DR, 10 years I go there now, my dominican family lives there, including my 20yrs old stepdaughter.

Barnab?

Really funny

I know exactly what you mean I have a few relatives from living there also. And everything you said is true. Although Alameda is not that far and all you have to do is go out to the "Avenida" and bam your right in the hot spot again. where in las palmas do you stay?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Barnabe said:

Barnab?

Dominican women gossiping is not limited to Herrera only, its nationwide regardless of race, socio-economic positions, etc. Those women just like to yak and yak away!

No offense ladies, but its true, alot of "chismosas" in this island. Aaah, the wonders of the DR! :laugh:

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Dominican women gossiping is not limited to Herrera only, its nationwide regardless of race, socio-economic positions, etc. Those women just like to yak and yak away!

No offense ladies, but its true, alot of "chismosas" in this island. Aaah, the wonders of the DR! :laugh:

that is very true and when they leave the island it all gets worse.
Have you ever been in a new jersey factory.WOW if only you could be a fly on the wall of the ladies restroom/locker room in one of those factories youll get enough material for 10 spanish soaps, 5 american soaps (you know the ones that never end) and 2 hollywood movies.LOL

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
lizzyjl80 said:
Really funny

I know exactly what you mean I have a few relatives from living there also. And everything you said is true. Although Alameda is not that far and all you have to do is go out to the "Avenida" and bam your right in the hot spot again. where in las palmas do you stay?

say 400 m from Plaza Lama

Barnab?

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Barnabe said:
say 400 m from Plaza Lama

Barnab?

do you know where the "cerveceria Boermia" is i have some family still living there. Its a barrio and all but thats a real dominican experience because we are a poor country and our people are poor not everyone can afford to go to resorts and live in nice houses. This is the place where you feel a vibe as soon as you get out ( or is that lightness of your person as your wallet is cassually being emptied?) LOL
No but really it is true this is as hardcore as it gets if anyone wants to experience DR to the max you have to take a day to go to a barrio and jsut let lose (just dont bring anyting valuable)

Isnt that right?

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
lizzyjl80 said:
do you know where the "cerveceria Boermia" is i have some family still living there. Its a barrio and all but thats a real dominican experience because we are a poor country and our people are poor not everyone can afford to go to resorts and live in nice houses. This is the place where you feel a vibe as soon as you get out ( or is that lightness of your person as your wallet is cassually being emptied?) LOL
No but really it is true this is as hardcore as it gets if anyone wants to experience DR to the max you have to take a day to go to a barrio and jsut let lose (just dont bring anyting valuable)

Isnt that right?

Well I must say I am not sure i perfectly understood you as my english is a bit limited.

But well I know the Bohemia, it's on the 27, on the other side (west) of Herrera, going to Los Manoguayabos. One end of the Avenida Las Palmas is around there, but not on the Bohemia side. I have the house east, closer to Autopista Duarte.

If you go out by night in a barrio, if you are with a relative/friend living there, you shouldn't have any security problem. Just have better avoid car washes or the discos by night, because you never know.. Take care how you talk to the boys when you go in parties, because some(?) are "frecos" and you might have problem with some girlfriend. But as you're Dominican (well, partly), I guess you know how things are..

But, yes, it's an experience.. As you are a young person, take care, you might want to stay there, just because you'll feel like your heart is beating stronger...

Barnab?

Last edited: