Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP- Need apartment by end of July!!

Hey everyone,

I'm moving to the DR and I realyl need an apartnment. Will it be easy to find a roomate (Dominican)? Everyone has suggested living in Gazcue or Zona colonial- what are the prices for rent in these areas for a 1 bedroom apt with generator, security guard? PLEASE TELL ME EVERYTHING I WILL NEED WHEN APPLYING TO RENT AN APT? And where do I look? Should I spend more than $300/month? Could the landlord randonly raise the rent? Should I be scared to live by myself as a female in DR ? (I look Dominican, by the way). PLEASE HELP.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSimone
    Hey everyone,

I'm moving to the DR and I realyl need an apartnment. Will it be easy to find a roomate (Dominican)? Everyone has suggested living in Gazcue or Zona colonial- what are the prices for rent in these areas for a 1 bedroom apt with generator, security guard? PLEASE TELL ME EVERYTHING I WILL NEED WHEN APPLYING TO RENT AN APT? And where do I look? Should I spend more than $300/month? Could the landlord randonly raise the rent? Should I be scared to live by myself as a female in DR ? (I look Dominican, by the way). PLEASE HELP.

im actually planning to relocate myself im speaking to a lady about renting her apartment for a year in Herrera. its a 3 bedroom with 2 bathrooms it sounds nice and the rent is about US$193.00 a month if youre interested we could go at it together and it would be about 84 bucks a month each what do you think . by the way im in new york where ae you located right now? id like very much to speak with you.

oh by the way zona colonial is for tourists babe too expensive
    just plain expensive
    hope to talk to you soon

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyjl80
    im actually planning to relocate myself im speaking to a lady about renting her apartment for a year in Herrera. its a 3 bedroom with 2 bathrooms it sounds nice and the rent is about US$193.00 a month if youre interested we could go at it together and it would be about 84 bucks a month each what do you think . by the way im in new york where ae you located right now? id like very much to speak with you.

oh by the way zona colonial is for tourists babe too expensive
    just plain expensive
    hope to talk to you soon

How far is Herrera from Gazcue?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont really dont know

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default about 4-5 miles out

Gazcue is in the outer city center of Santo Domingo and it was a suburb, and the place to live, in the 1950's. Herrera is now a suburb and it's 4-5 miles out west of the city and a middle to lower-middle class section for the most part.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Positive things about Herrera:

A real Dominican experience
    Cheaper rents than in "downtown" SD
    If you live in the Hospital zone, not many breakouts
    Cheap power
    Not so many thieves come in your house
    Depending where you live in Herrera, quick access to Plaza Lama, Autopista Duarte (Carrefour,supermercado Olé) , Haina and San Cristobal.

Negative things (especially for young girls/women)
    Not many charming latinos around are real gentlemen, and young girls from outside (inclusing ausentes) are targets.
    At any moment a problem can break out (2 murders in "my" street in the last 2 years, including 1 on my doorstep a cuchillazo)
    dominican women gossiping
    Isabel Aguiar tapones

Maybe a better option to live in Alameda.

I live in Las Palmas de Herrera when I am in DR, 10 years I go there now, my dominican family lives there, including my 20yrs old stepdaughter.

Barnabé

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabe
    Positive things about Herrera:

A real Dominican experience
    Cheaper rents than in "downtown" SD
    If you live in the Hospital zone, not many breakouts
    Cheap power
    Not so many thieves come in your house
    Depending where you live in Herrera, quick access to Plaza Lama, Autopista Duarte (Carrefour,supermercado Olé) , Haina and San Cristobal.

Negative things (especially for young girls/women)
    Not many charming latinos around are real gentlemen, and young girls from outside (inclusing ausentes) are targets.
    At any moment a problem can break out (2 murders in "my" street in the last 2 years, including 1 on my doorstep a cuchillazo)
    Isabel Aguiar tapones

Maybe a better option to live in Alameda.

I live in Las Palmas de Herrera when I am in DR, 10 years I go there now, my dominican family lives there, including my 20yrs old stepdaughter.

Barnabé
    Really funny

I know exactly what you mean I have a few relatives from living there also. And everything you said is true. Although Alameda is not that far and all you have to do is go out to the "Avenida" and bam your right in the hot spot again. where in las palmas do you stay?

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabe

Barnabé

Dominican women gossiping is not limited to Herrera only, its nationwide regardless of race, socio-economic positions, etc. Those women just like to yak and yak away!

No offense ladies, but its true, alot of "chismosas" in this island. Aaah, the wonders of the DR!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nal0whs
    Dominican women gossiping is not limited to Herrera only, its nationwide regardless of race, socio-economic positions, etc. Those women just like to yak and yak away!

No offense ladies, but its true, alot of "chismosas" in this island. Aaah, the wonders of the DR!
    that is very true and when they leave the island it all gets worse.
    Have you ever been in a new jersey factory.WOW if only you could be a fly on the wall of the ladies restroom/locker room in one of those factories youll get enough material for 10 spanish soaps, 5 american soaps (you know the ones that never end) and 2 hollywood movies.LOL

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyjl80
    Really funny

I know exactly what you mean I have a few relatives from living there also. And everything you said is true. Although Alameda is not that far and all you have to do is go out to the "Avenida" and bam your right in the hot spot again. where in las palmas do you stay?
    say 400 m from Plaza Lama

Barnabé

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast