Free Zone Manufacturing

mbain

Jun 23, 2004
I am in the early stages of setting up a kitchen cabinet manufacturing facility in one of the free zones . I was wondering in the opinion of this form what would be best location. In talking with my shipping agent the Santiago area was their location of choice. Any thoughts on this option ?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Maybe I am offtrack, but there are 10 Free Zones in Santo Domingo, 4 ports within 20 miles of anywhere in the Santo Domingo area, several shipping lines serving most US and European ports, a population of about 3 million from which to find a work force, and a good transportation system to get them to your plant.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Santiago may be best

mbain said:
I am in the early stages of setting up a kitchen cabinet manufacturing facility in one of the free zones . I was wondering in the opinion of this form what would be best location. In talking with my shipping agent the Santiago area was their location of choice. Any thoughts on this option ?

Santiago, the nation's second largest city, has a huge, excellent main Free Zone and several other minor ones. It also has a good labor force and the Puerto Plata port is one hour away while the Haina/Santo Domingo port is 2 hours away.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
mbain said:

The reason for Santiago being the location of choice, is possibly that Puerto Plata traditionally has less problems around it as a port of entry. I know that our shipping agents also preferred using Puerto Plata and locating in Santiago for easier shipping.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Chris said:
The reason for Santiago being the location of choice, is possibly that Puerto Plata traditionally has less problems around it as a port of entry. I know that our shipping agents also preferred using Puerto Plata and locating in Santiago for easier shipping.

Are you going to do installation? As I am going to put in a new kitchen in the house I have bought in Sabaneta de Yassica.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago is an excellent place to locate

First of all the work force is very solid.
Next, the free zone is well run, and you have a choice of several. You can shoose which one.
Even though Santo Domingo is closer to a shipping point, in terms of time it is the same as Santiago.
The quality of life issue is also a factor. For supervisory personnel, it is nicer to live in Santiago.

Oh yeah, I happen to live here, too....

And Wales? You can't purchase stuff from the free zone.

HB

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Kitchens

Hillbilly said:
First of all the work force is very solid.
Next, the free zone is well run, and you have a choice of several. You can shoose which one.
Even though Santo Domingo is closer to a shipping point, in terms of time it is the same as Santiago.
The quality of life issue is also a factor. For supervisory personnel, it is nicer to live in Santiago.

Oh yeah, I happen to live here, too....

And Wales? You can't purchase stuff from the free zone.

HB
Well ask the person who posted it. I've had an offer already.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Kitchens

Wales said:
Well ask the person who posted it. I've had an offer already.

Well !! Upon revue, maybe the offer is from someone else!! I'm still looking for a good kitchen manufacturer. Is he really going to try and export kitchen cabinets. Good Luck. My kitchen here in Canada is Oak and real gourmet- self designed - Cost $4,000.oo US plus appliances. What is it going to cost me in the DR.
PS. We are very particular

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I would find it really hard to top the new port at Caucedo, and the costs have been the same that we were paying at Haina.

I have never relied much on what a shipping agent says here, mainly because they usually tell you what is good for them, there are dozens of shipping agents around, and there is usually another good one just around the next corner....

The destination shipping agency handling your Customs clearances into the US are FAR more important than the shipping people are in the DR, who are just concerned with getting it on the boat.

One thing you should check out with your agent on the US end, mbain, are the requirements and procedures needed for shipping wood or wood products into the US by US Customs and the USDA.

PS- A Free Zone company is allowed to sell product into the DR, but it's a pain in the *ss, and the normal Customs duties must be paid before it leaves the Free Zone.

suerte.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Kitchens

GringoCArlos said:
I would find it really hard to top the new port at Caucedo, and the costs have been the same that we were paying at Haina.

I have never relied much on what a shipping agent says here, mainly because they usually tell you what is good for them, there are dozens of shipping agents around, and there is usually another good one just around the next corner....

The destination shipping agency handling your Customs clearances into the US are FAR more important than the shipping people are in the DR, who are just concerned with getting it on the boat.

One thing you should check out with your agent on the US end, mbain, are the requirements and procedures needed for shipping wood or wood products into the US by US Customs and the USDA.

PS- A Free Zone company is allowed to sell product into the DR, but it's a pain in the *ss, and the normal Customs duties must be paid before it leaves the Free Zone.

suerte.

So I can buy from a Free Zone!!

mbain

Jun 23, 2004
Well thanks guys. It was Tropical i was talking to so it sounds like they weren't to far off with what they said. As far as selling you all kitchens i'd be glad to come October when this thing gets off the ground. I'm up here in Canada working out the final details. I'd be glad to here any other advise you have to offer. I lived in the D.R. for six months last year near Puerto Plata so i have a general idea how to get things done but most of you seem to have some good advise.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Kitchens

mbain said:
Well thanks guys. It was Tropical i was talking to so it sounds like they weren't to far off with what they said. As far as selling you all kitchens i'd be glad to come October when this thing gets off the ground. I'm up here in Canada working out the final details. I'd be glad to here any other advise you have to offer. I lived in the D.R. for six months last year near Puerto Plata so i have a general idea how to get things done but most of you seem to have some good advise.

Cannot understand a word of what you said. You must be from Quebec. Suggest you ask Adrianb to translate.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Will you get oak in the DR?

Wales said:
Well !! Upon revue, maybe the offer is from someone else!! I'm still looking for a good kitchen manufacturer. Is he really going to try and export kitchen cabinets. Good Luck. My kitchen here in Canada is Oak and real gourmet- self designed - Cost $4,000.oo US plus appliances. What is it going to cost me in the DR.
......and if you do, how will it cope with the climate? I ask because most up market kitchens here (in the DR) are made of mahogany, either indigenous or imported.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
mbain said:

Tropical has always given us a good service.

mbain, are you sure that you have the ftz permissions from the consejo to be able to sell into the DR?

mbain

Jun 23, 2004
I'm not selling to the D.R. . I have several large retailers in southern Florida and Ontario that i currently sell to that are anxiously awaiting my new line of cabinetry. I will not be offering solid wood cabinet doors for now only thermofoil doors. They come in a wide variety of styles and colours and require no finishing so climate is not an issue.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Wales said:
Wow, what is the price of a new car?

Don't you think it has to do with how many running feet of cabinets you have? 4k US is chump change for a Kitchen in the US unless it is 4 ft wide.

Scott

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Kitchens

Escott said:
Wow, what is the price of a new car?

Don't you think it has to do with how many running feet of cabinets you have? 4k US is chump change for a Kitchen in the US unless it is 4 ft wide.

Scott
I'll bring a picture when we come. It is solid oak, very large island with double side cupboards, total footage 31 feet excluding the other side of the island, if your with me. Built in Microwave, walloven, dishwasher, surface hob, lazy susan etc etc. All appliances and sink, tweeny were extra. Mind you that was 1993!!!!. Anew car I paid last year nearly $40,000.00 Can$ for a Monte Carlo SS with everything on it including Onstar and I think five years bumper to bumper warranty? I'm bringing it with me!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Wales said:
I'll bring a picture when we come. It is solid oak, very large island with double side cupboards, total footage 31 feet excluding the other side of the island, if your with me. Built in Microwave, walloven, dishwasher, surface hob, lazy susan etc etc. All appliances and sink, tweeny were extra. Mind you that was 1993!!!!. Anew car I paid last year nearly $40,000.00 Can$ for a Monte Carlo SS with everything on it including Onstar and I think five years bumper to bumper warranty? I'm bringing it with me!!
Leave the car home. You won't be happy with it in the DR. You paid 40k for a Monte Carlo? Man!

If you paid 4k US for that Kitchen I will buy 100 if you can get me them for that price. I actually don't believe it.

Scott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just try it

Mr. Wales has some strange ideas, Escott, I wouldn't take them too seriously.

As Chris has intimated, you can sell stuff out of the Free Zone, but ?is it ever, ever worth the hassle? The headaches are far greater than any savings might be.

But, hey, you seem to know more than I do so go ahead, I mean I have only been here for over 40 years and have "seen it and done it" more times than you ever will.

Folks, I obviously do not like Mr Wales because he is very self centered and a know it all. Worse, I have the proof.

HB

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Free Zone

Hillbilly said:
Mr. Wales has some strange ideas, Escott, I wouldn't take them too seriously.

As Chris has intimated, you can sell stuff out of the Free Zone, but ?is it ever, ever worth the hassle? The headaches are far greater than any savings might be.

But, hey, you seem to know more than I do so go ahead, I mean I have only been here for over 40 years and have "seen it and done it" more times than you ever will.

Folks, I obviously do not like Mr Wales because he is very self centered and a know it all. Worse, I have the proof.

HB

I find your post extremely offensive/unnecessary/without foundation/ just because you could not provide plans for a brick barbecue but had to brag about how many people you can fit into some attic apartment. If you look in the thread " can you live on" you'll see someone shares a one bedroom with 32 people. Is that you under a pseudonym? If you have lived there 40 years you've missed your education. I've lived in many countries around the World but decided to retire in The Dominican Republic. We will not need your advice assistance or your company.