Traveling to Jimani, tips?

worldlywahoo

Jun 23, 2004
Hi all,

A couple of things:

I am leaving for the Dominican Republic on Saturday for a work-related trip. I'm spending the first night in Santo Domingo, then leaving for Jimani. Because of the floods and the relief efforts there, the Hotel Jimani (the only hotel in my guide book) is booked until July 5. There probably will be small family-run places around the main square (some people in the U.S. who are originally from Jimani told me this), but I'm not sure if actually staying in Jimani is an option. So I'm thinking about staying in Barahona (1.5 hours south, I think) and commuting. First question: Is there a semi-reliable bus that would take me from Barahona to Jimani? Or should I hire a driver?

Second question: What's a reasonable rate for a driver?

Third question: Does anyone know anyone good?

Last: Any other tips for a first-time traveller to the DR? I speak Spanish and have traveled in Latin America before, but this trip isn't touristy, so I won't be able to sight see or anything. So general tips would be great.

Thanks, everyone. These boards are really helpful!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
If you really want to help them, don't go to Jimani. They have enough sight seers as it is. You'll just be clogging up the infrastructure and taking up a bed that someone who can truly help would use.

And if you still want to contribute to them, send money via the red cross or a similar organization.

My $0.02

Adrian

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
adrianb said:
If you really want to help them, don't go to Jimani. They have enough sight seers as it is. You'll just be clogging up the infrastructure and taking up a bed that someone who can truly help would use.

One sec...........he did say his reasons for travelling were 'work-related' and not a touristy visit for sight seeing. He might be one who could 'truly help', we dont know.

worldlywahoo

Jun 23, 2004
jimani

Agreed, Adrian, gawkers should stay away from Jimani. But like I said, I'm not going as a tourist. I'm going to Jimani with a group who are bringing relief to the flood victims (food, medicine, etc.). So I genuinely need to find a driver/car/transport. Anyone have any answers to my original questions or suggestions on where to start looking for answers? Thanks.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Jimani

worldlywahoo said:
Agreed, Adrian, gawkers should stay away from Jimani. But like I said, I'm not going as a tourist. I'm going to Jimani with a group who are bringing relief to the flood victims (food, medicine, etc.). So I genuinely need to find a driver/car/transport. Anyone have any answers to my original questions or suggestions on where to start looking for answers? Thanks.

Yeah Adrian, give the guy a break.
It was I who suggested that he post his question on DR1 as it is the most informed and "friendly" DR related message board.
Marco.

worldlywahoo

Jun 23, 2004
Everything I've heard about renting a car in the DR has been pretty negative (roads are bad, non-existent traffic laws, very expensive rates, etc.), so I'm really leaning toward hiring a driver. I think finding one in Barahona seems like the best option. So does anyone know of a good driver, or, to get back to original question, what a reasonable rate is? Thanks. I am traveling with a co-worker, so there'll be two of us (we're two women, if that makes a difference).

(btw, thanks, Rocky for your help.)

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
...don't drive if you can help it!

worldlywahoo said:
Everything I've heard about renting a car in the DR has been pretty negative (roads are bad, non-existent traffic laws, very expensive rates, etc.), so I'm really leaning toward hiring a driver.

By all means, hire a driver and stay away from driving in the strange world of Dominican transit. I always recommend hiring a taxi since the cost is practically the same as renting a car and the risks much lower.

If you hit someone and injure them you cannot stop since the victim's friends/relatives may lynch you right on the spot regardless on whose fault the accident was! You may have to deal with crooked cops on the side of the road asking for a payoff and your being foreign and inexperienced may cost a lot more than hiring a taxi.

Again, hire a taxi with driver and enjoy the ride but don't drive if you can help it!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Rocky said:
Yeah Adrian, give the guy a break.
It was I who suggested that he post his question on DR1 as it is the most informed and "friendly" DR related message board.
Marco.

I think having a friendly site is extremely important.

I also am aware of the problems that go on in disaster zones. Do you realise the amount of disease and looting that happen in those kinds of areas? And trained professionals are already in there managing the situation, they don't need outsiders getting in the way.

Personally I am quite skeptical that a serious aid provider needs to ask on an internet message board how to get into, and where to stay in a disaster zone.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
adrianb said:
I think having a friendly site is extremely important.

I also am aware of the problems that go on in disaster zones. Do you realise the amount of disease and looting that happen in those kinds of areas? And trained professionals are already in there managing the situation, they don't need outsiders getting in the way.

Personally I am quite skeptical that a serious aid provider needs to ask on an internet message board how to get into, and where to stay in a disaster zone.

I understand your sentiments, as there are a few weirdos who invent all sorts of stuff, for God knows what reason, but, like you said, it is important to keep this site friendly and to give the benefit of the doubt, unless proved otherwise.
Regards, Marco.