Plaza Internacional

mgonz8

Jun 23, 2004
Does anyone know the website for Plaza Internacional in Santiago or a list of stores in the mall there?

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
Does anyone knows If there is any space available in Plaza Intl.`s first level? Thanks for the help.

mgonz8

Jun 23, 2004
badpiece33 said:
Dont believe they have a website. What are you looking for? My friend has a shoe store there and if you need to know something in particular I could call and ask him.
Badpiece
We are just wanting to know what stores are there for-
1. Clothing, shoes
2. Electronics
3. Music
4. Department stores
5. Books
6. Food Court
7. Sporting goods

Thanks for offering to ask your friend. My family and I will be moving to Santiago from Delaware, USA in August and we are just trying to look at the options of where to do our purchases-we are aware that Santiago has a Pricesmart and some of the major supermercados like Nacional and Pola, but beyond that we don't know much else as far as shopping. Thanks again.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I am pretty sure there are a few spaces available at Plaza Internacional, but these are owned by private individuals, not the Plaza itself. You will have do do some footwork to find the owners.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
I was there today

Just made my first solo road trip to Santiago, and spent a couple of hours in the Plaza International.

Sansan: yes, there are empty stores in the mall. More than one on the first level... it looked as though a couple of sizable shops were closing out. As well, there is a scale model of another mall ... it looked much larger but I can't remember the name... begins with 'C'? 27th de Febrero is one of the parameter streets. The model setup was an advertisement for vendors.

Plaza International is not as large as one might expect.

"We are just wanting to know what stores are there for- "

1. Clothing, shoes -- I saw two shoe stores; spent time in one, and I almost cried-- several good brand names and REAL leather :) Not as many clothing shops as I had hoped to find, but perhaps 8 shops (?); one for children only, an Oscar de la Renta outlet, an evening wear women's boutique,
2. Electronics -- a Radio Shack
3. Music -- didn't notice one
4. Department stores - one dept store for the home; very nice furnishings, upscale
5. Books - yes, one bookstore; I bought a map of Santiago in that one
6. Food Court - yes, but disappointing to my taste: Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Belle, yada, yada.
7. Sporting goods - one tennis sport shop; one gym equipment/excercise wear-- I bought a roll-up exercise mat there; ss well, next to the mall is another sizable sporting goods store

Also, some jewellry, a nice purse/accessory vendor, upscale sunglasses, good perfume, etc...

AND... on the food court top floor, movie theatres.

mgonz8

Jun 23, 2004
Dawnwil,
Thanks for the info on Plaza- Yes I also heard about the new mall they are building-I wonder if the economy in santiago can support it?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
If you've ever tried to park your car at Plaza Internacional you would guess that yes, the economy of Santiago can support it, especially when you consider MOST people do not drive to the mall.

BTW, the music store in the Plaza is called Karen and has a decent selection of CD's.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The new store/mall will be at

the Intersection of 27 de Febrero and Avenida Imbert at Las Colinas. It used to be part of the Ochoa Hardware empire. Absolutely huge place. From the outside it looks very modern.

I would wonder at the possibility of it being sustained by the local population, since Las Colinas, Invi, Ensanche Libertad and that area are not upper middle class or higher. There are a lot of working people there, however, and depending on the demographic target group, it just might fly. Conversely, the area around Plaza Internacional is pretty much upper middle and upper class, in all directions.

NOTICE Dawnwil has been banned from entering Santiago for 30 days.
Her mistake? NOT telling HB she was in the area, and receiving special, personalized service and guidence!:D:D:D

Ah, malls, the bane of juvenile existance...

HB

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Hillbilly said:
NOTICE Dawnwil has been banned from entering Santiago for 30 days.
Her mistake? NOT telling HB she was in the area, and receiving special, personalized service and guidence!:D:D:D

Ah, malls, the bane of juvenile existance...

HB

Damn. Please, NO!

Might the sentence be reduced if you were to learn I thought about you while driving in?...
And regretted I made the decision on a whim?...
And already decided that next time I would not act so spontaneously as to forego the pleasure? :)

Hillbilly, it was a moment of triumph. Until yesterday, I was reticent about driving to Santiago myself, having been forewarned about trouble getting around the city, crazy drivers, etc, etc. I had planned to take the bus from PP, but when I got to the bus station discovered there was no place to park the car for the day. So I said, hell with it, and drove on. Buying the map made all the difference, because now I feel free comfortabe driving in on my own anytime.

And I really do need assistance... am looking for various sculpting/moldmaking supplies, and it's a challenge finding them. So... if all else fails, may I appeal to your chivalrous nature??? :)

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
However...

I must be honest and admit that finding Franco Sarto shoes was sublime and divine, and if given the choice... hmmm, difficult decision. hee.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
mgonz8 said:
Dawnwil,
Thanks for the info on Plaza- Yes I also heard about the new mall they are building-I wonder if the economy in santiago can support it?

The other mall is going to be called Colinas Mall. Santiago probably can support the mall, it all depends on the type of stores and variety it offers. Plus, this is the Cibao and many of the mid-size and large towns have a middle class sector of their population. In addition, 60% of the DR population lives in the Cibao. Consider this, about half of them have connections to NY via family, most Dominicans living abroad are from the Cibao and they come and go frequently. Plus, Puerto Plata's tourist are only about 1-2 hours away. It will be supported. Besides, the economy is about as low as it can be right now, all that's left is for the right moment to come for the economy to pick up again.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gotta love the positive attitude

I have to say, "Wait and see". They have so much money that they can afford to take a few years in the red.

As for the International Mall, I asked a young lady that works there and she told me that it seems like they have problems every day. Especially with the electricity and the water pipes. Gee, I guess they didn't plan on the "Stand By" generator having to be the "Stand In " Generator!! There are at least seven spaces available on the first floor.

Dawnwil All is forgiven, but just to rub it in, there is a Salvatore Ferragamo store not 100 feet from my house! So there!

I live on the "Fifth Avenue" of Santiago, or so they say...

Next time babe, next time.

HB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Meeeee toooooo

Hey next time you go, take me with you please.... I've discovered a few stores in Santiago but would love to check out the mall and don't know where it is....

Count me in on the next excursion! You know shopping is always more fun with 2...

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
You talking to me?

hmmm... I just don't know. I have a great suspicion you might like Franco Sarto shoes. ok, I know how to handle this... what size are you? If you're a 7.5 (only Franco Sarto, btw) the answer is NO, you can't go shopping with me.

Then again, with a handle like Planner, I guess I can't help but do right by Hillbilly if I take you along. Absolutely no excuses for not stopping to say 'hi', and I really don't want to be banned again.

:)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We're safe......

Don't worry, I wear 6 1/2..... we can shop in the same store.....

I'll Pm you too....

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
You'll find it all in the mall

Almost, but they do have a radio shack, well stocked too. 20 pesos for valet parking when it's raining isn't bad either. Designers didn't have the room but a big anchor store would have been nice.
Had lunch in the food court yesterday while the second floor planta was at work, sounded like a Huey helicopter was hovering overhead.