Moving to North Coast in August

goldengeo3

Jun 25, 2004
Looking for a place to live on the north coast- longer term in the Sosua and Cabarete area and would consider other locations ie. Santiago as I have heard the temperature is not as hot.

From what I have read security and power are major concerns. What can you recommend that has good security, 24 hr power, internet, and pool. Preferably studio or one bedroom with kitchen or kitchenette.

I am on my own and have considered renting a villa but it is expensive for one person and also security seems to come more into play when you are the only one there.

Living outside of the core area is a possiblity as in that case I would buy a scooter/small motorbike.

Thanks from Canada

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Moving South

Can't help you with an apartment but as a rule Santiago is hotter than the north coast in the summer. Santiago is in a long valley whereas Cabarete,
Sousa and Puerto Plata are at foot of the mountains. Even though we're on the sea the prevailing breezes coming mainly from the southeast, come off the mountain.
During the winter it's a different story as the north coast is usually a few degrees (F) warmer at night.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
A LOT of gringos live in Sosua & Cabarete, which makes security a bigger issue. Far fewer in Puerto Plata & Santiago. Just a thought to add to your decision making process.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Lambada said:
A LOT of gringos live in Sosua & Cabarete, which makes security a bigger issue. Far fewer in Puerto Plata & Santiago. Just a thought to add to your decision making process.

Lambada,
Are you suggesting that gringos are thieves & hoodlums?? I hope you meant that as a RESULT of there being more gringos (& gringas) in Sosua & Cabarete, the interest of the criminal fraternity is more concentrated to that area because of bigger & better gains more easily achieved!!! - Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't think one can generalise about any nationality, BushBaby :laugh: & one should speak as one finds, but yes, I meant what you said (otherwise it'll be anti-Lambada week!)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Recommendations

goldengeo3 said:
What can you recommend that has good security, 24 hr power, internet, and pool. Preferably studio or one bedroom with kitchen or kitchenette.

1) Fly into POP airport and stay in a hotel for a short period of time. (Sosua or Cabarete)
2) Talk to the other ex-pats, to get their opinions.
3) Go see for yourself all the places that might interest you.
4) Rent for a short period of time, so that you can move elsewhere, if you aren't satisfied with your first decision.

Shopping over the internet is difficult and sometimes misleading.
Seeing is believing and you can most likely negotiate a better deal in person.
Marco.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have heard of a few people buying real estate over the internet in the
DR. Amazing to me that people can and will do that. I suggest you just use the internet as a guide and not for anything long term.

Scott