Boca chica at night

comanche

Jun 23, 2004
I'm dominican my nick name is comanche my english is rally bad :) I love this forum.

I have question for you!!

some of you have gone to boca chica at night? I was and like much I want I to return but is surely at night?

I was single and like much I hope I to return soon worries the security to me

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It Is Safe

Boca Chica is safe at night especially for guys named Comanche with bad English.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
comanche said:
I'm dominican my nick name is comanche my english is rally bad :) I love this forum.

I have question for you!!

some of you have gone to boca chica at night? I was and like much I want I to return but is surely at night?

I was single and like much I hope I to return soon worries the security to me

Comanche

Dime cuando vas a ir para aya porque yo tengo planeado ir para aya omo en agosto (acabo de llegar hace 2 semanas) y ami me encanta ir a la playa de noche. Las mejores rumbas se hacen de noche.
dejame saber

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have never had a problem at night in boca chica. I wouldnt stray too far from calle duarte....but i was staying at el candil up the hill...and had no problem stumbling home late at night.

I dont recommend roaming the beach at night alone or with a sankie...as i have encountered problems with the politur that way. Although i must say i only had ONE problem at night on the beach....and the person i was with was known by the politur.

enjoy!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Don't Walk Drunk

jrzyguy said:
i have never had a problem at night in boca chica. I wouldnt stray too far from calle duarte....but i was staying at el candil up the hill...and had no problem stumbling home late at night.

I dont recommend roaming the beach at night alone or with a sankie...as i have encountered problems with the politur that way. Although i must say i only had ONE problem at night on the beach....and the person i was with was known by the politur.

enjoy!

I would never recommend a tourist walk alone after about 11 p.m. from Duarte up to the area of El Candil/ Costalunga / Milan, etc, especially with a load on.

Jrsyguy, you're a guy but are on the beach with a sankie or was it a female pay for play girl? I haven't heard of Politur ever hassling a male tourist with a female street girl, though they really don't want anyone on the beach or in the water after dark.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have never had any problems staggering up the hill to candil or costalunga....but to be on the safe side i would recommend a motoconcho.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
A Few Muggings

jrzyguy said:
i have never had any problems staggering up the hill to candil or costalunga....but to be on the safe side i would recommend a motoconcho.

A few tourists have been robbed on the Duarte to uphill route at various times , usually more than one ladrone and with knives. Generally, after dark and after quite late, those hills are pretty empty and to save RD$20 ( US 40 cents) the danger of the idiot moto driver is lower than the danger of losing all your stuff or getting cut. So walking is not a great idea, even if you have been safe up to now. In a group of 3 or so men, it would probably be OK.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
True, brother!!

ricktoronto said:
A few tourists have been robbed on the Duarte to uphill route at various times , usually more than one ladrone and with knives. Generally, after dark and after quite late, those hills are pretty empty and to save RD$20 ( US 40 cents) the danger of the idiot moto driver is lower than the danger of losing all your stuff or getting cut. So walking is not a great idea, even if you have been safe up to now. In a group of 3 or so men, it would probably be OK.
That is not new news, people have been robbed left and right over the years. If you are unlucky, you may get robbed 2 or 3 times on the same path. Just pay up the darn 40 cents unless you do not value your life!!

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
By default, consider the place dangerous

There will be pleaty of people that tell you that nothing happened to them, but then again nothing does happen to you till it does, then you don't want to remember , come back , or go to a DR BB and post a comment.

If you have been there, and have not heard of some one getting robbed in one manner or another, then

1) you were not there for long and . . .

2) You did ask any one for stories . . .

If you have a place on the beach, stay close to it (at night), don't wander far (at night), I imagine going in the water is safer than walking around as long as your not alone.

But then again, please remember, if your trying to have some kind of sexual adventure to double or triple up on the condoms before you do anything becuase your at "Boca Chica" your at the epicenter of an epidemic, I don't care which one you think it is, just choose one, and chances are your at the epicenter of it. For me that whole idea of where I am just makes me shrivle up an not be in the mood.

:)

-Lee

2time

Jul 2, 2004
ltsnyder said:
There will be pleaty of people that tell you that nothing happened to them, but then again nothing does happen to you till it does, then you don't want to remember , come back , or go to a DR BB and post a comment.

If you have been there, and have not heard of some one getting robbed in one manner or another, then

1) you were not there for long and . . .

2) You did ask any one for stories . . .

If you have a place on the beach, stay close to it (at night), don't wander far (at night), I imagine going in the water is safer than walking around as long as your not alone.

But then again, please remember, if your trying to have some kind of sexual adventure to double or triple up on the condoms before you do anything becuase your at "Boca Chica" your at the epicenter of an epidemic, I don't care which one you think it is, just choose one, and chances are your at the epicenter of it. For me that whole idea of where I am just makes me shrivle up an not be in the mood.

:)

-Lee

I don't get it if it is bad and unsafe what is to say the taxi guys won't rob you on the way back or a robber robbing you with the moto driver ...

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
Haven't been to Boca Chica since late 2002 so I can't tell for sure but...

If you're out of luck, you're out of luck and that's all there is to it I
suppose. :) Ricktoronto and others are mostly spot on though methinks.

One will usually be ok unless one acts really stupidly, like walking around
drunk late at night ( say after 11 ) alone. I know a few people who have
been robbed, but most if not all of those have been stupid in one way or
another. I had breakins in my place because I was stupid and lazy with my
security.

Being the cheap kind of guy who'd walk and save 20 pesos rather than pay
some loud motoconcho, I've also walked a lot on my own late at night.
Never drunk, but never with any real problems. I've walked all over the
place, from Duarte to Los Coquitos, across the autopista..whereever.

Women apart, I suppose the most likely scenario would be 2 guys on a
motorcycle ( pasola?? ) stopping you. Guessing/based upon personal
experience these will have followed you from Duarte/where you came
from. If you follow the same route/routine every night they might even
wait for you somewhere they know you'll be. That means they've watched
you a few times in advance.

Whenever I was out in Boca Chica, and I've stayed there for months, I
usually had a fair idea about who was who and doing what. At some stage
one guy kept following me, and sat nearby when I played chess with the
guys selling paintings there. Always supposedly speaking in his mobile, no
matter how long I sat there.. :) When he saw I headed for home he'd link
up with a friend on the pasola (?) and they'd pass me a few times. They'd
discuss good places to wait, build up courage and just yap, somehow they
didn't consider the fact that gringos can actually understand Spanish too.
So they never really got anywhere..,I kept changing time, paths and even
accomodation, so it was quite fun in a way and I thought it was almost
charming.:) I confronted the guy in the end,telling him to stop being such
a stupid jerk, and that he should stop yapping next time, 'cos gringos
speak Spanish too. I suspect their way of doing it isn't uncommon, but I
would also imagine there'll be lurkers in areas where tourists pass.

So.. I felt safer in Boca Chica than places like Oslo and Dublin, don't be
stupid and one will mostly be ok. Doodoo happens at times but..

General things I do.. I never tell people where I live or my actual date of
departure, unless I have to. ( I add a week or two... )

I'd change my routines quite frequently, never walk the same way twice
etc. Methinks that helps.. For longer stays I'd even change housing.

If you speak Spanish you might have an advantage if people don't know
that you do.

It's not a good idea to walk alone at night so I won't recommend
it even though I did it every night and liked the walk quite a bit.

If worst comes to worst, I'd like to know enough martial arts to
be able to gain enough time to get rid of 2-3 lowlife sods with nought
better to do than trying to pinch my 30 pesos in some ungodly hours.

And the list goes on I suppose. Most of all, don't worry and don't let
anxieties reduce the quality of one's holiday! An AI is the better choice if
one is likely to do so. Personally I would suffocate in an AI and I stick to
walking around in Boca Chica at night time whereever I may be heading.:)