Where can I buy a Water Distiller in the DR?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm interested in buying a water distiller, electric counter top, Puerto Plata or surrounding area's.

More often then not I see things floating in the bottled water sold here (Real turn off )

Thanks

Gringo

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Your best bet would be to -----

build your own!

A 5-gallon stainless steel, sealable, container with a rubber stopper into which you can isert a stainless coiled tube feeding off to a glass 5-galo=lon flask imbedded in a loosly woven material (kept wet) to gather the condensed water vapor.

Try that site about "How Things Work" on the internet for detailed construction.

I think a commercially rendered contraption would be very expensive.

Heating best done with an electric hotplate to avoid open flames.

Texas Bill

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You can't afford to "distill" your own water!

The cost of electricity would be too high!Find another Colmado and brand of water.It is quite common here to fill bottles from the city tap,put on a "Seal" and sell it at retail!If you are worried you can "boil" the water you are going to drink for 10 minites(On a propane stove!) or add a few drops of "Purisimo"! A water sanitizer used by many!
I just look at a case of "Duarte's Revenge" every once-in-a-while as a good way to "diet"! CC :D

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here are a few places that might be able tohelp you out

Robeyda
Padre de las Casas #5
Santiago
Tel: 581 8322
Fax 587 9630

AQUAFIL
Benito Monci?n #9
Santiago
Tel: 582 2106

Purificadores del Caribe
www.caribetel/puricaribe.com
email: puricaribe@codetel.net.do
Jos? Contreras #130
Plaza Cosimos, Second Floor
Santo Domingo
Tel: 508 1882
Fax 532 7363

The bane of the folks on the shoreline of the DR is water: Salty, not enough, or not very pure. Sure hope you can find a solution at one of these places.

HB

Of course, you could always move to Santiago!! :D

P.S. Texas Bill knows all about distillation because he knows how to make good "hootch" ....And we live in a country that produces lots of molasses

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Guys for Your Imput

Texas Bill said:
Your best bet would be to -----

build your own!

A 5-gallon stainless steel, sealable, container with a rubber stopper into which you can isert a stainless coiled tube feeding off to a glass 5-galo=lon flask imbedded in a loosly woven material (kept wet) to gather the condensed water vapor.

Try that site about "How Things Work" on the internet for detailed construction.

I think a commercially rendered contraption would be very expensive.

Heating best done with an electric hotplate to avoid open flames.

Texas Bill

Texes Bill I think you just might be on to something, but as Cc. Indicated The cost of the power if and when available would be a factor, So Propane would be the route to go......Hillbilly thanks but a commericial unit would not be cost effective ( I would think) I stand to be corrected.
With the cost of Labour here a home built contraption just might be feasible.
I can't screw the cap back on a Brugal bottle without striping it, so I would have to find a Dominican who knows about the distilling process and assembly.

I don't know, The more I think about it the more complcated it all sounds, Someone told me just put in 5 drops of Javex Bleach to each 5 gallon container and that would kill anything floating around in there! (anyone hear that one?)

A friend of mine said to me why Don't you just stick to Presidente?

Anyway thanks agian guys, I see its now Cock-tail Hour and in the DR that means Two for one...... or Happy Hour......You figure it out, I see CCCCCccccc smiling now!

Gringo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dude: Those are filters, not distillers and they are made for household use. At least five them a buzz and see what they come up with.

And yes, of course, a few drops in 5 gal of water will kill off just about everything bad. Problem will be getting used to the taste, but, hey, if you are healthy, you can get used to anything! Right?

You are on the right road, of course. Getting good water is a #1 priority.

HB

Last edited:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly.....They call this unit a water distiller

Hillbilly said:
Dude: Those are filters, not distillers and they are made for household use. At least five them a buzz and see what they come up with.

And yes, of course, a few drops in 5 gal of water will kill off just about everything bad. Problem will ge getting used to the tast, but, hey, if you are healthy, you can get used to anything! Right?

You are on the right road, of course. Getting good water is a #1 priority.

HB

This is what I had in mind

But I'm not going to pay $1500,00

http://www.naturalsolutions1.com/waterwise3.htm

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Water Distiller

Gringo said:
This is what I had in mind

But I'm not going to pay $1500,00

http://www.naturalsolutions1.com/waterwise3.htm

You do not need to. I have one, a real one. It will be in my container when I come. However Sears sell a countertop (electric), two models, one with carbon filter, around $350.00 Canadian. The real one - any form of heat will do - costs $375.00 Canadian and if you PM me I'll give you the web site and telehone #. I can also tell you how to distill all sorts of things. you can then make Gin, Scotch, Rum, Rye, or any other type. You'll need to buy some charcoal though and that's not for the barbecue. Maybe I'm not such an idiot after all.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
In the Old Days--- when Isopropyl was cheaper than grain alky, the drunks used to filter the isopropyl through a loaf of bread.
Of course, since that didn't really filter out all the bad stuff, they eventually went blind and couldn't tell the difference anyway!!!

Texas Bill

toby

Dec 8, 2003
I don't know, The more I think about it the more complcated it all sounds, Someone told me just put in 5 drops of Javex Bleach to each 5 gallon container and that would kill anything floating around in there! (anyone hear that one?)

Please do not use bleach as it will case long term damage to your throat tongue, enamel of the teeth and will cause liver damage. This method used to be used in farming communities many decades ago (Canada) and the ill effects were seen as cases of "Black Tongue". (both in humans and farm animals).
Rick Toronto is right,use a special purifier for human consumption, and if you can not find it in the DR have someone bring some to you. Boil water for 10 minutes.
One of the most scary things we say in the stores in the DR was the packaging for water (small plastic bags/single serve) were identical to those for bleach. Same size and look. It sent chills down my spine as I could see these getting switched and some kid accidentally drinking from the wrong bag...very scary as the throat would immediately close after ingesting a tablespoon of bleach...what a terrible thought.
Toby