Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samana

Post Thanks / Like

Default Samana

One thread asked people what place they thought was the nicest in the DR> and most replied Samana.
    I have been to DR twice. Once to a Riu resort in PP and then to Sosua Bay in PP.

What do you think of moving to Samana area?

Any places to stay that you would recommend?

And power or lack of it seems to be a major concern. Is Sosua/Cabarete area better than others in respect to power? Places offering accommodation seem to make it seem that they offer 24 hr power.

thanks,

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Samana is a beautiful place and the people there are very nice. My wife and I lived there for almost 15 years. We now live in Sosua and prefer it here. Better access to doctors, much better supermarkets, many more women for my wife to interact with, and many other benefits, such as the well equipped gym I go to and the American expat personal trainer who works with my wife at home a couple of times a week and with me at the gym.

If I knew more about your situation, I could probably be of more help. Feel free to PM or email me.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Samaná

What do you mean by "moving to Samaná"?
    Spending your holiday there for a change or moving there to live?

As to power supply:
    Las Terrenas has a privately owned power system.
    People pay more per kWh, do get disconnected if they don't pay their bills and there are hardly any blackouts.

We have been living in Samaná for more than eight years and haven't put up a "For Sale"-sign yet.

Samaná has a beautiful landscape, splendid beaches and a rich vegetation, thus giving one a true Caribbean feeling.

mountainfrog

www.samanave.com
    (non-commercial)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Samana

Learn to speak French!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sosua

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Samana is a beautiful place and the people there are very nice. My wife and I lived there for almost 15 years. We now live in Sosua and prefer it here. Better access to doctors, much better supermarkets, many more women for my wife to interact with, and many other benefits, such as the well equipped gym I go to and the American expat personal trainer who works with my wife at home a couple of times a week and with me at the gym.

If I knew more about your situation, I could probably be of more help. Feel free to PM or email me.
    Ken, I have checked several sites on the internet for accommodations, primarily looking at the Sosua/Cabarete area.
    My concerns from what I have read are 24 hr power, access to internet, and security.
    It appears that I will be moving to DR in August/04 and the internet sites and this message board have helped alot.

At this time it appears that I will reserve a studio/1 bedroom before arriving at DR for several months and check out other places prior to committing long term.

A studio or 1 bedroom apt.
    24 hr power
    internet access
    safety
    pool
    as to proximity to Sosua or the beach that may not be as important as I saw many scooters/small motorbikes and I could purchase one if req'd.

Thanks,
    George

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainfrog
    What do you mean by "moving to Samaná"?
    Spending your holiday there for a change or moving there to live?

As to power supply:
    Las Terrenas has a privately owned power system.
    People pay more per kWh, do get disconnected if they don't pay their bills and there are hardly any blackouts.

We have been living in Samaná for more than eight years and haven't put up a "For Sale"-sign yet.

Samaná has a beautiful landscape, splendid beaches and a rich vegetation, thus giving one a true Caribbean feeling.

mountainfrog

www.samanave.com
    (non-commercial)
    Hey,

I was wondering if I could get some more information about the Samana area. My friend and I are planning on spending 6 months in the DR (we will be arriving in November) and would like to spend some of the time in Samana. I was wondering how much we should expect to pay for a long-term rental - basic accommodation, is the cost of food, etc along the same lines as the rest of the DR, how is transportation around the pennisula, etc? Any information along these lines would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Living in Samaná

Long term rent should start as low as about 300 U$ per month depending on standards, location and number of rooms / beds.
    Public transport is by motoconchos and Guaguas and busses
    along the Sanchez-Samaná (town) road.
    Power hardly ever fails in Las Terrenas due to a privately run utility.
    LT has two well stocked supermarkets with a third being under construction.
    Prices are more or less the same as in the rest of this country.
    Of course there is the odd tourist trap ...

m'frog
    www.samanave.com
    (non-commercial)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Long term rent should start as low as about 300 U$ per month depending on standards, location and number of rooms / beds.
    Public transport is by motoconchos and Guaguas and busses
    along the Sanchez-Samaná (town) road.
    Power hardly ever fails in Las Terrenas due to a privately run utility.
    LT has two well stocked supermarkets with a third being under construction.
    Prices are more or less the same as in the rest of this country.
    Of course there is the odd tourist trap ...

m'frog
    www.samanave.com
    (non-commercial)
    Thanks for the info M'Frog - I was just wondering if you recommend one
    area - Las Terrenas, Las Galeres or Samana over the other? If so any particular reason?

Thanks,

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Samaná

Quote Originally Posted by Dubby
    Thanks for the info M'Frog - I was just wondering if you recommend one
    area - Las Terrenas, Las Galeres or Samana over the other? If so any particular reason?

Thanks,
    When it comes to shopping, services and restaurants I'd prefer Las Terrenas.
    The rest is a matter of taste.

M'frog

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for your help!

When it comes to shopping, services and restaurants I'd prefer Las Terrenas.
    The rest is a matter of taste.

M'frog
    Thanks again for your help - I guess we will have to visit all 3 areas
    and decide which we like best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast