Samana

goldengeo3

Jun 25, 2004
One thread asked people what place they thought was the nicest in the DR> and most replied Samana.
I have been to DR twice. Once to a Riu resort in PP and then to Sosua Bay in PP.

What do you think of moving to Samana area?

Any places to stay that you would recommend?

And power or lack of it seems to be a major concern. Is Sosua/Cabarete area better than others in respect to power? Places offering accommodation seem to make it seem that they offer 24 hr power.

thanks,

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Samana is a beautiful place and the people there are very nice. My wife and I lived there for almost 15 years. We now live in Sosua and prefer it here. Better access to doctors, much better supermarkets, many more women for my wife to interact with, and many other benefits, such as the well equipped gym I go to and the American expat personal trainer who works with my wife at home a couple of times a week and with me at the gym.

If I knew more about your situation, I could probably be of more help. Feel free to PM or email me.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Saman?

What do you mean by "moving to Saman?"?
Spending your holiday there for a change or moving there to live?

As to power supply:
Las Terrenas has a privately owned power system.
People pay more per kWh, do get disconnected if they don't pay their bills and there are hardly any blackouts.

We have been living in Saman? for more than eight years and haven't put up a "For Sale"-sign yet.

Saman? has a beautiful landscape, splendid beaches and a rich vegetation, thus giving one a true Caribbean feeling.

mountainfrog

www.samanave.com
(non-commercial)

goldengeo3

Jun 25, 2004
Sosua

Ken said:
Samana is a beautiful place and the people there are very nice. My wife and I lived there for almost 15 years. We now live in Sosua and prefer it here. Better access to doctors, much better supermarkets, many more women for my wife to interact with, and many other benefits, such as the well equipped gym I go to and the American expat personal trainer who works with my wife at home a couple of times a week and with me at the gym.

If I knew more about your situation, I could probably be of more help. Feel free to PM or email me.

Ken, I have checked several sites on the internet for accommodations, primarily looking at the Sosua/Cabarete area.
My concerns from what I have read are 24 hr power, access to internet, and security.
It appears that I will be moving to DR in August/04 and the internet sites and this message board have helped alot.

At this time it appears that I will reserve a studio/1 bedroom before arriving at DR for several months and check out other places prior to committing long term.

A studio or 1 bedroom apt.
24 hr power
internet access
safety
pool
as to proximity to Sosua or the beach that may not be as important as I saw many scooters/small motorbikes and I could purchase one if req'd.

Thanks,
George

Dubby

Mar 30, 2004
mountainfrog said:
What do you mean by "moving to Saman?"?
Spending your holiday there for a change or moving there to live?

As to power supply:
Las Terrenas has a privately owned power system.
People pay more per kWh, do get disconnected if they don't pay their bills and there are hardly any blackouts.

We have been living in Saman? for more than eight years and haven't put up a "For Sale"-sign yet.

Saman? has a beautiful landscape, splendid beaches and a rich vegetation, thus giving one a true Caribbean feeling.

mountainfrog

www.samanave.com
(non-commercial)

Hey,

I was wondering if I could get some more information about the Samana area. My friend and I are planning on spending 6 months in the DR (we will be arriving in November) and would like to spend some of the time in Samana. I was wondering how much we should expect to pay for a long-term rental - basic accommodation, is the cost of food, etc along the same lines as the rest of the DR, how is transportation around the pennisula, etc? Any information along these lines would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Living in Saman?

Long term rent should start as low as about 300 U$ per month depending on standards, location and number of rooms / beds.
Public transport is by motoconchos and Guaguas and busses
along the Sanchez-Saman? (town) road.
Power hardly ever fails in Las Terrenas due to a privately run utility.
LT has two well stocked supermarkets with a third being under construction.
Prices are more or less the same as in the rest of this country.
Of course there is the odd tourist trap ...

m'frog
www.samanave.com
(non-commercial)

Dubby

Mar 30, 2004
mountainfrog said:
Long term rent should start as low as about 300 U$ per month depending on standards, location and number of rooms / beds.
Public transport is by motoconchos and Guaguas and busses
along the Sanchez-Saman? (town) road.
Power hardly ever fails in Las Terrenas due to a privately run utility.
LT has two well stocked supermarkets with a third being under construction.
Prices are more or less the same as in the rest of this country.
Of course there is the odd tourist trap ...

m'frog
www.samanave.com
(non-commercial)

Thanks for the info M'Frog - I was just wondering if you recommend one
area - Las Terrenas, Las Galeres or Samana over the other? If so any particular reason?

Thanks,

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Saman?

Dubby said:
Thanks for the info M'Frog - I was just wondering if you recommend one
area - Las Terrenas, Las Galeres or Samana over the other? If so any particular reason?

Thanks,

When it comes to shopping, services and restaurants I'd prefer Las Terrenas.
The rest is a matter of taste.

M'frog

Dubby

Mar 30, 2004
Thanks for your help!

mountainfrog said:
When it comes to shopping, services and restaurants I'd prefer Las Terrenas.
The rest is a matter of taste.

M'frog

Thanks again for your help - I guess we will have to visit all 3 areas
and decide which we like best! :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Dollar dropping and LT prices

I made the move to LT based on the peso-dollar rate of last year which was in the mid forty up to as high as fifty. Since the major tourist business here is to the European market, the Euro market, they have not needed to reduce their prices, so for just "living" for an American, it might prove more expensive than other places. Also, the language on the streets of the foreign population is French, not English - so if you have no other language - beside Spanish, that is - you may be a bit isolated. I found that $300 a month will only get a rental in the "Dominican" neighborhoods - very close to the streets, high noise level with motochoncos and discos that go into the early morning hours. There are, I am told, rentals in the little town next door, Limon, which is where most of the "commuter workers" - the Dominicans and some of the Europeans live- in the lower price ranges.

There are plenty of European families from all over - Italians and French, Dutch, German, and some nice looking little apartment houses. We are, I think, only about 6 Americans. I would expect to pay closer to $600 to $1000 for a rental on an American standard. There is quite a lot of land development, some very nice houses in middle class neighborhoods on the hills behind town. Also, every sort of food that you could ever want to buy from Europe - along with Paris Match, etc etc... Very sophisticated, very chic, very South of France. The street dogs are sleek and friendly and well fed.

There appear to be no "exclusive" gated, restricted looking communities here, which is what attracted me.

It's a great international experience. But pricey if your money is coming in in dollars. It is being developed as a very "high end" destination. Two economies are running right along side. Along the waterfront, the Europeans have one and behind that is the local one. Certainly you can "survive" eating at only the local Dominican restuarants, but to mingle with the tourists or the local Europeans, expect to pay the price of living in an American city - and a major one at that. Of course, if you are coming as a family, and will be eating at home, meeting people, the price for dining out will be only ocassional.

There are condos for sale in the tourist beach hotels, if that is all that you are looking for - and you might be able to make a deal with them for a long term rental. I would advise that you will get the best price if you wait until April when the season is over.

Have heard that Las Galeras is still a sleepy village type - and Samana still quite a Dominican city- but haven't yet checked out either.

Hope this helps.

Annie

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
Dubby said:
Hey,

I was wondering if I could get some more information about the Samana area. My friend and I are planning on spending 6 months in the DR (we will be arriving in November) and would like to spend some of the time in Samana. I was wondering how much we should expect to pay for a long-term rental - basic accommodation, is the cost of food, etc along the same lines as the rest of the DR, how is transportation around the pennisula, etc? Any information along these lines would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

i know of a place available to rent in las galeras. call me at (514) 776-7656 if you're interested.

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
jan 29-feb5 house to rent?

I'll be there with 2-3 friends and was just wondering if anyone knew of a house or apartment to rent for that week for under $500, with air conditioning. thank you!

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
SAMANA' the best place to live in the DR AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it i was there 2 weeks ago and it was awsome tranquile and pleasant, Samana City has a new power generation plant as i was told in the (TESON AREA) no more log black outs..............................................................

if any interested i know someone that has a 2 bedroom small apartment available in February and rents for $300 (negotiable if you are staying long) no A/C with an inverter (24 hours light), Fridge, Stove, T.V., Fan Very Very Very Secured.........................

if interested let me know................... send me a P.M.