Is it possible to get a debit card in the DR?

santiagotrav

May 24, 2004
Is it possible for a foreigner that will be staying in the DR for a couple of months to obtain a Visa or Mastercard debit card? This is possible in the United States, you can get them on the net or at a retail store. How about in the DR?
*I will use the card online at US web sites

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
If you open a savings account at Banco Leon a Visa debit card is an option. Doesn't work for online purchases though, it's not good "anywhere Visa is accepted" but it will definitely get you around in the DR.

santiagotrav

May 24, 2004
Actually I do need it for online purchases at US websites. I don't plan on using it in the DR. Any advice?

MrMike said:
If you open a savings account at Banco Leon a Visa debit card is an option. Doesn't work for online purchases though, it's not good "anywhere Visa is accepted" but it will definitely get you around in the DR.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The problem with online purchasing is the currency, which opens up a whole can of new problems.

Your best bet is to get a dual currency credit card, I think these are usually refferred to as "international" credit cards here. You will have 1 limit in pesos and another in dollars, the merchant will determine which to charge you.

If you are not a resident, this can be secured by a savings deposit account, but I don't have anymore details than that.

Alternatively, you could open a checking account in the states and use the debit card they give you, I have done that but it's been a long time.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
Would a Virtual Visa work?

santiagotrav said:
Actually I do need it for online purchases at US websites. I don't plan on using it in the DR. Any advice?

I know some people outside the US (not in the DR) who use epassporte.com and their Virtual Visa for this. You would need to fund it through another credit card or a wire transfer normally, but if you search around some third parties will fund epassporte accounts via other methods like Western Union as well. There is no actual card with this, I think, just a card number for use online. I have no business relationship with them and haven't used them myself.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Epassporte is a good idea. They take 5%, but it will end up being a big time (and cost saver) compared to getting a DR credit card.